Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll, I will be moving to San Francisco next fall for school. After finding this out I decided it was time for a new bike since my tiny free agent I got when I was 14 didn't quite fit anymore. :D I have been looking at styles and brands for some time now and have no idea what to do. I'd LOVE to get into the urban biking scene. I had been looking at the Brass (1) by Giant for a while and it seemed pretty slick. BUT, the problem is, this bike doesn't seem to be very practical for getting from one place to another very efficiently. Being in San Francisco means hills, and gears are pretty necessary I'd assume. So I guess what I'm asking for are opinions on whether I should find another bike with more gears and more practicality, or is the Brass a considerably easy bike to ride around comfortably and be somewhat in between practicality and my desires?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Brass looks really cool:
http://www.treefortbikes.com/38_333222346891__2009-Brass-1.html
And it has disc brakes and a derailleur.

If you're going to be doing more urban freestyle riding than just simple commuting from place to place then I'd go with this. Otherwise, you might want to look at a bike with a less slack body position, i.e. one with a normal seat height, that will be more comfortable for long rides versus the Brass, that is designed to be jumped and mashed more than bumping along on a sidewalk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i agree with Mr. DiCenso.

But if you want a bike for getting around you'd probably be better of with a XC mtb, maybe even a full rigid one.
I ride an Cannondale f500 with a rigid fork now (the original spring broke too many times, so i didn't replace it anymore). This bike is awesome. Even it's a older bike it's still very light so perfect for hill climbing, and strong enough. If you have to climb a lot, you should also pay attention for the weight of the bike.
The number of gears to choose from is what you want to do with the bike. If you like going downhill very fast en also like to climb the steepest hills you should have enough gears to make that happen (front tripple bladed). If that doesn't mean much to you, than you should be okay with lesser gears (maybe front double bladed, rear 9 so a 18 gears bike).
:)

Check some online shops to check prices and bikes. Sometimes it's worthwhile to check shops in different countries. For exemple, If you want to buy Chris King in Europe you pay a lot more than if you'd buy that in the USA and vice versa. For me (Europe) it's cheaper to order those parts from CK in the USA than from my local bike shop.

good luck with making up your mind

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
If you are going to be riding it to class and around doing errands, you may want to look into a used commuter/roadie as well. Something cheap that will get you around, so you don't have to leave a nice new bike sitting out unattended.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off thanks for the responses!

Mr. and Givet are kinda goin along the lines of what my aunt thinks I should do. (shes an avid cyclist, and can't peel herself away from Trek) And well I'm starting to kinda feel the same. I'd love to get the Brass but once again, practicality is an issue.
As for fisherman and agabriel, thats exactly what I had been thinking for the past 6 months until I decided I wanted to maybe get into some downhill stuff. Plus I'll be living on campus, meaning they have some fairly good security and they do have a bike check. You can take your bike and they will lock it up for you during the day. But once again thanks for the input. I'm supposed to go look at bikes this saturday with my aunt and I'm just tryin to get a better feel for what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I ended up buying a Gary Fisher Mullet instead of the Brass. I think the gears will help a lot. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ProjectBomber said:
congrats on the mullet. those are some nice looking bikes, then again i'm totally a fisher fan lol.
Thanks! So far I love it, I'm going to go out with my aunt and her friend on New Year's Day. Hopefully I can keep up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts