Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Bent, not broken.
233 Posts
I hate the fact that she had to write this, but I'm glad she did. Visibility matters, it isn't just white men using the forests - people seeing folks that look like they do out on the trails and in the forests will hopefully get them out too.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Terrible that this gal feels this way. But I'm glad she found herself liking MTB riding, there's really nothing that makes me feel better than being on two wheels out in nature.

I'm a white male but I live in KS. I've rode with people of all colors, shapes, sizes, genders, etc. I've actually found the MTB community to be the most accepting group of people in any sport I've participated in.

Ladies I'm sorry if I shouldn't have posted here, but I saw a link pop up in my alerts on Tapatalk. Hopefully things start getting better for her and she finds peace in mtbing and confidence to not be afraid. I'm not sure I buy the whole Trump caused all of her woes however. Sure his moral compass is a bit off, but not every one is out to get her.

Either way, you ladies keep the rubber side down on the dirt and enjoy the ride!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good for her. I'm happy she is getting out on the trails and enjoying something in a place she wants to spend time. I know the feeling, I'm not exactly welcomed in some places but riding hasn't given me any issues. I do like the riding community where I live, they have been nothing but pleasant to me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ok. So I’m asking seriously. What is the issue in the piece? I think I have an idea. But in an attempt for clarity. Im sincerely asking. Is it that mountain bikers are racists? Or sexists? Or there isn’t income equality in bike ownership?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok. So I'm asking seriously. What is the issue in the piece? I think I have an idea. But in an attempt for clarity. Im sincerely asking. Is it that mountain bikers are racists? Or sexists? Or there isn't income equality in bike ownership?
The way I read it was she felt out of place where she moved to and got into biking. From there she has not had any issues wit anyone in our community.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
The piece is offensive. It has no business being posted on this site . Its political, sexists and racial. And a sad excuse at hiding it. I have traveled many places to ride. Done my homework on many destinations regarding trail beta. Elevation, terrain which direction to ride a certain loop. Asked local advise. Determined when was the best time of year to ride But never once had I considered a counties voting statics when I go to ride somewhere.

It’s no coincidence the piece was posted in the women’s forum. It was posted in a so called “safe place”. Where the type of people the piece accused of the in -justice would not be allowed to answer their accuser. And if the did voice an opposition, they would be labeled “creepy” for posting in a women’s forum As is an Internet forum is a physical place where a creep could sneak into and spy on women

My point is the piece is political and has no place on this site. The piece isn’t about mountain biking. That’s just it’s disguise to spread the writer’s political views. She hides behind race, and gender as to not be questioned. There is a place for a piece like that. The site it was published on is perfect for it. But MTBR is not that place. If politics are not allowed then they are not allowed. Offending someone politically , racially and with gender works both ways.

Rules are rules. If MTBR is only going to allow one side to voice a political opinion then the site has been corrupted.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I know it's considered taboo to disagree with anything at all in this subforum without having the approved chromosome arrangement, but really?

"I knew Mesa County had voted 64 percent Republican in the 2016 election. At the trailhead, I sat in the car for a long time before setting off, filled with trepidation."

Maybe she should go ride and live in a place that that's loaded up with Democratic voters instead? Like Chicago or Baltimore or NYC maybe. I'm sure that would be oh so much safer.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
I know it's considered taboo to disagree with anything at all in this subforum without having the approved chromosome arrangement, but really?

"I knew Mesa County had voted 64 percent Republican in the 2016 election. At the trailhead, I sat in the car for a long time before setting off, filled with trepidation."

Maybe she should go ride and live in a place that that's loaded up with Democratic voters instead? Like Chicago or Baltimore or NYC maybe. I'm sure that would be oh so much safer.
She specifically said her professional field is difficult to find jobs in.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
The piece is offensive. It has no business being posted on this site . Its political, sexists and racial. And a sad excuse at hiding it. I have traveled many places to ride. Done my homework on many destinations regarding trail beta. Elevation, terrain which direction to ride a certain loop. Asked local advise. Determined when was the best time of year to ride But never once had I considered a counties voting statics when I go to ride somewhere.

It's no coincidence the piece was posted in the women's forum. It was posted in a so called "safe place". Where the type of people the piece accused of the in -justice would not be allowed to answer their accuser. And if the did voice an opposition, they would be labeled "creepy" for posting in a women's forum As is an Internet forum is a physical place where a creep could sneak into and spy on women

My point is the piece is political and has no place on this site. The piece isn't about mountain biking. That's just it's disguise to spread the writer's political views. She hides behind race, and gender as to not be questioned. There is a place for a piece like that. The site it was published on is perfect for it. But MTBR is not that place. If politics are not allowed then they are not allowed. Offending someone politically , racially and with gender works both ways.

Rules are rules. If MTBR is only going to allow one side to voice a political opinion then the site has been corrupted.
We'll let the WL moderators decide about that. Perhaps you are offended as compared to the article being offensive?

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ Thanks for those, sounds interesting.

I would challenge some of the naysayers to go participate next weekend in a sport or event where they look different from 99% of the other participants. Perhaps it would give you greater insight into this woman's experience and story. Your comments are unwelcoming and unwelcome, and illustrate why some people might not be 100% comfortable MTB'g.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The piece is a political and ideological hint job under the rouse of being about mountain biking. The author attempts to hide her bias at times and and other times doesn’t and just flat out shows her distain.

And to suggest otherwise is to be disingenuous.

I’ll say again. It has no place here Sub forum or not. If a similar piece was posted with the ideologies or politics flipped. It wouldn’t last an hour before it was removed.

·
Banned
537 Posts
^^ Thanks for those, sounds interesting.

I would challenge some of the naysayers to go participate next weekend in a sport or event where they look different from 99% of the other participants. Perhaps it would give you greater insight into this woman's experience and story. Your comments are unwelcoming and unwelcome, and illustrate why some people might not be 100% comfortable MTB'g.
Do it all the time, don't feel out of place at all on BB court. Just wish the n word wasn't used so much. Also I am in contact with the other 99% during the entire activity, MTB not so much, give me break.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
OMG. Someone feels out of place and that offends you? HTFU, there is nothing offensive in her story. She understandably feels out of place. She feels it, there is no arguing with that.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
She specifically said her professional field is difficult to find jobs in.
Well and good, but being so scared of Republicans that you have trouble getting out of your car simply because you're in a purple county honestly seems like more a mental health issue than a reflection of reality to me. Hopefully she gets to meet more people outside her comfort zone and manages to overcome some of her own biases.

·
Registered
323 Posts
OMG. Someone feels out of place and that offends you? HTFU, there is nothing offensive in her story. She understandably feels out of place. She feels it, there is no arguing with that.
I would tell the author to HTFU. That's my whole point.

But let's play her game. She is offended. I'm offended at her bias towards and certain political party or ideology. I'm offended at her bias towards a certain skin color.

I have been riding bikes and doing many other sports in the mountains my whole life People in the mountains are some of, if not the most inclusive people there are.

Be honest. Any honest person can read through the lines and sees the authors intended message.

I'll decode it for you. White people, especially white Trump voters are racists. And it's wrong that some people have nicer bikes then others. We should all rides the same bikes.

·
Premium Member
10,768 Posts
Showing your white male arse on a woman's forum is not proving what you think it's proving. Just saying ...

I would tell the author to HTFU. That's my whole point.

But let's play her game. She is offended. I'm offended at her bias towards and certain political party or ideology. I'm offended at her bias towards a certain skin color.

I have been riding bikes and doing many other sports in the mountains my whole life People in the mountains are some of, if not the most inclusive people there are.

Be honest. Any honest person can read through the lines and sees the authors intended message.

I'll decode it for you. White people, especially white Trump voters are racists. And it's wrong that some people have nicer bikes then others. We should all rides the same bikes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.