Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this article and it's great, took someone long enough to realize that it would be a great activity for school, if only my school had done that... it's in Scotland, good read check it out:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/new...oduces_mountain_biking_into_pe_curriculum.php

Inversely, the first comment is in short, totally unbelievable, I thought anti-bikers were mainly drivers and the occasional trail user but this guy thinks we terrorize wildlife on our "large pieces of machinery"...

Here's the comment... the rest of the comments can be read in the link:

"Please don't become the victim of mountain biker propaganda! Mountain biking is one of the most destructive activities allowed in any natural areas, and should NOT be supported. Please share the following paper with all appropriate and interested parties, especially local land managers. Please restrict bicycles and other vehicles to pavement, where they belong and where they can't do much harm to wildlife (this is the policy of Yosemite National Park). Mountain biking has no place in natural areas. Anyone who wants to visit nature can already do so on foot (or via wheelchair). Mountain biking drives out all other trail users. There is absolutely no reason to allow access by large pieces of machinery, such as bicycles.

"FOXX SEEKS TO CREATE NATIONAL TAKE A KID MOUNTAIN BIKING DAY"

"07/11/05 WASHINGTON This afternoon, U.S. Rep. Virginia Foxx (N.C.-5) introduced a resolution to create 'National Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day', in order to motivate young people to be physically active and fit."

503 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Representative Foxx:

I know you mean well, but your resolution makes no sense:

1. Bicycles are LABOR-SAVING DEVICES! They were designed NOT for getting exercise, but SAVING ENERGY. And they DO! A decades-old Scientific American article stated that the bicycle is the most efficient form of transportation in the world, surpassing walking and all other means of transportation. Bicycles only increase exercise when they replace motor vehicle use, which is NOT the case for young children!

2. Mountain biking is a very expensive hobby, and thus not appropriate for the young children you are targeting. The minimum that you can pay for a bike that won't fall apart under the pounding that mountain biking subjects it to is $500.

3. Mountain biking is a very dangerous sport, regularly resulting in serious injury and even DEATH, and thus not appropriate for the young children you are targeting!

4. Mountain biking is one of the most destructive activities allowed in any park. It accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, widens trails, kills small animals and plants on and next to the trail, and drives wildlife away from the resources they need and out of the parks. Please don't sacrifice wildlife, in the name of physical fitness. It isn't necessary, since there are many other forms of exercise that are not as destructive of the natural world, such as walking and hiking. For the science on the impacts of mountain biking, see http://home.pacbell.
net/mjvande/scb7.

5. Every round trip has an equal amount of uphill and downhill. Riding a bicycle downhill provides essentially ZERO exercise -- less than walking. Riding a bicycle on level ground provides minimal exercise -- less than walking. Permitting bikes on trails drives other trail users off the trails, because hiking around bicycles is dangerous and very unpleasant. One has to be constantly on guard to be ready to jump off the trail to avoid getting hit by speeding bikers. Continual bell-ringing or shouts of "on your left", forcing you off of the trail (even though hikers are supposed to have the right-of-way!) destroy any enjoyment you might otherwise gain from being in nature. When you force hikers off the trails, you end up with NO NET HEALTH BENEFIT!

This initiative is the mountain bikers' way of trying to improve the image of their extremely destructive sport, by pretending to benefit children (and who doesn't want to help children?). Please don't fall for their propaganda."

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
5. Every round trip has an equal amount of uphill and downhill. Riding a bicycle downhill provides essentially ZERO exercise -- less than walking. Riding a bicycle on level ground provides minimal exercise -- less than walking. Permitting bikes on trails drives other trail users off the trails, because hiking around bicycles is dangerous and very unpleasant. One has to be constantly on guard to be ready to jump off the trail to avoid getting hit by speeding bikers. Continual bell-ringing or shouts of "on your left", forcing you off of the trail (even though hikers are supposed to have the right-of-way!) destroy any enjoyment you might otherwise gain from being in nature. When you force hikers off the trails, you end up with NO NET HEALTH BENEFIT!/QUOTE]

That schmuck should have been with me today when I was riding downhill. It may not burn as much energy as the uphills (and I love riding uphill), but it sure as hell was burning my legs, fatiguing my shoulders, and fatiguing my hands and arms. I am a hurting pup tonight and it isn't just my legs from the climbing.

(I encountered 5 hikers on my ride today and fortunately all of them were quite pleasant. Good thing I didn't run into the guy who wrote that letter.)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I started to read the Anti-MTB diatribe, and the words "Mike Vandeman" came to mind.

Seriously, this guy has been doing this for years, and has no idea what he is talking about. He just plain hates bikes, and makes his diatribes up whole cloth.

Please feel free to respond to Mr. Vandeman's comments.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please don't........

TLL said:
I started to read the Anti-MTB diatribe, and the words "Mike Vandeman" came to mind.

Seriously, this guy has been doing this for years, and has no idea what he is talking about. He just plain hates bikes, and makes his diatribes up whole cloth.

Please feel free to respond to Mr. Vandeman's comments.
Yea really, please don't. That tool has been around in the usenet groups since the mid 90's spreading the same garbage. It's not really worth it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
me. said:
Yea really, please don't. That tool has been around in the usenet groups since the mid 90's spreading the same garbage. It's not really worth it.
Really, I know that. Though if you look to the page he posted to, you will see that many have already taken him to task.

Sadly, he just thrives on the controversy he attempts to manufacture.

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TLL said:
Really, I know that. Though if you look to the page he posted to, you will see that many have already taken him to task.

Sadly, he just thrives on the controversy he attempts to manufacture.
I had no idea this had been around so long, just shocked by what he thought and thought I'd post it... along w/ the mtbing in phys ed. which I thought was I novel idea, kind of a double post, didn't think twice that the ant-mtb would win over, guess I should've thought that over...

·
Registered
457 Posts
heh, all the time when i am riding i am stopping to watch squirrles run across the path .. or a lizard ... or getting off my bike to help a turtle back on its feet ...

i guess i shouldn't be so destructive ... and should also leave the trash that i find left behind by those joggers and such instead of picking it up and putting it in my pack to throw away when i get to the parking lot ...

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Ahhh, good ol' Mike Vandeman, mtb enemy number one, he's repeating the same rubbish for years. Sometimes we try and communicate with him, but it's hopeless, you've just got to ignore him and let him play with himself in the corner.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
tpm7 said:
I had no idea this had been around so long, just shocked by what he thought and thought I'd post it... along w/ the mtbing in phys ed. which I thought was I novel idea, kind of a double post, didn't think twice that the ant-mtb would win over, guess I should've thought that over...
Actually, I thought most of the replies were in defense of mountain biking. And I thought the article and video were pretty good as well.

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
People like this guy worry me. Why is it that one whack case always seems to set the rules for the majority. Check out this overview written about him, by him. He sure is proud of himself. I would love to publish his email address so a few thousand people could send him their thoughts.

I find it kind of weird that he lists bicycling as one of his passions...:madman:

Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.

"And gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche" Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales, line 308.

Qualifications:

I have a B.A. Magna *** Laude from the University of California at Berkeley in Mathematics, With Special Distinction in Mathematics. As a Junior at U.C. Berkeley, I ranked 37 1/2th out of 1300 college math students in the nation in the annual mathematics contest sponsored by the Mathematical Association of America. I have an M.A. in Mathematics (including study in Statistics) from Harvard University. And my Ph.D. from the University of California at Los Angeles is in Psychology, concentrating in Psychometrics. Psychometrics is the science of the measurement of human behavior and traits, and forms the scientific basis upon which transportation modeling and all other forms of human measurement rest. I taught measurement theory -- specifically, Reliability and Validity -- at California State University, San Francisco. I have been a computer programmer since 1962. I taught computer science for U.C. Berkeley Extension. In other words, I am an expert in mathematics, statistics, scientific method, measurement science (including modeling), and computer science.

Passions:

Art (especially Winslow Homer, Jose Orozco, Diego Rivera, Albert P. Ryder, Utamaro, A. Paul Weber), bicycling, biology (especially frogs and snakes), bookstores (especially Black Oak and Kinokuniya), English Literature (especially Emerson, John Steinbeck, and Walt Whitman), ham radio, hiking and camping, judo, languages (especially German, Japanese, and Spanish), libraries, mathematics (especially calculus, point-set topology, and trigonometry), music (especially Bach, Crystal Gayle, John Seed, "Keep on the Sunny Side of Life", "Across the Great Divide" (Kate Wolf), Ravi Shankar, Red Gum, Sharon Burch, Stephanie Davis, Tammy Wynette, Wagner (especially "Tristan and Isolde" and "The Flying Dutchman"), and Yothu Yindi), nurses, organic food, plants (especially trees), picking up trash (get a picker-upper like the "Park Patrol" from Pikes Peak Industries, PO Box 9422, Colorado Springs, CO 80909), programming (especially assembler and PL/I), reference librarians, Synanon, teachers, the U.S. Southwest, water (especially streams), wilderness

Peeves:

Air pollution, callousness towards wildlife, drugs, guns, invasion or destruction of wildlife habitat (especially by vehicles, such as ATVs, horses and burros, jetskis, mountain bikes, rafts, snowmobiles, and other ORVs), motor vehicles, road and highway construction, violence, waste (especially time)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Most of M.V.'s allegations are bunk, but you gotta admit that he has a point with item 3. I know I have a problem in which I regularly die during my rides. I bet I've died at least 4 times this week alone.

·
Jesus loved the dinosaurs
360 Posts
His overview is funny... it should just say, "pompous, self-righteous douche bag". This guy is like Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius. He thinks he's so brilliant, he can hardly be in the same room with himself, lest he be blinded by his own brilliance. What an ass...

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I love how he posts all of his credentials there. Like a psychology or math degree has any relation whatsoever to knowing what he's talking about when it comes to mountain bikes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.