Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
In '79 I was a swimmer and trail runner, just starting road riding on my Motobecane Super Mirage. Thank god for mountain biking.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,582 Posts
Coolness nostalgia factor. I grew up watching Evening Magazine with Steve Fox and Jan Yanihiro every Thursday evening.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
What cracks me up every time I watch these videos is no one is wearing helmets just elbow pads.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,127 Posts
"it's muddy in the winter and dusty in the summer". I wonder what he does now, 35 years later.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
I got my first bike around that time - if I remember correctly it was Soviet's "Shkolnik". 20" wheels, probably around 1.5" tires (which my dad stuffed with insulating rubber foam strips), 2:1 singlespeed. I think dad had "Kama" folder with 16" wheels, and even fatter tires, do not remember well. I rode it mostly of unpaved Russian roads in summer - I think those had been harder trails than most of what we have in local parks in the Bay Area nowadays. Nobody called it mountain biking, just biking. Helmet? What is that, and why would you need it on a bike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sears never gets credit for the cutting edge suspension technology they introduced during the BMX craze in the 70's. I had a sweet ride like this. The fork was a clever way to take a heavy bike and make it heavier!

searsc1975_page422.jpg

·
Custom User Title
139 Posts
Just curious...what made you buy that Baja back then?
as a teenager I worked at a Sports Dist. and they briefly imported the bikes, think I paid next to nothing for it

I just started hearing from a buddy in Fairfax about folks riding their bikes in the hills above Fairfax and Mt. Tam

Most of my riding was in the Lucas Valley hills. The fire roads on Tam didn't seem so bad when I finally got over there to ride.

George

·
Registered
371 Posts
Most of my riding was in the Lucas Valley hills. The fire roads on Tam didn't seem so bad when I finally got over there to ride.
I grew up in Marinwood in the 80's and had this exact same experience when I started riding Tam. No big deal after riding Queenstone and Ponte for years as a kid.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I rode single speeds (a Schwinn Stingray knockoff) offroad in the '60s. Rigid too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts