Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we ever going to have mountain biking at Mt. Baldy?
What's the latest scoop?
There was so much talk about it happening last year . . .
Will it happen next summer?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I dont know about it recently, but ten years ago I tried it w/some buddies and it was horrible. The lift pass we bought was a 1 time only round trip?!? Which only took you from the lot to the 2nd chair?!? We spent 4 hrs climbing gruelling gravel fireroad for about 30 minutes of mediocore DH.

Im sure its operations have changed by now w/the prevelance of mtbing, but I found the terrain very loose and rocky. I like Big Bear better for mtb, Baldy is pretty sweet for boarding tho when it gets covered well.

wayne

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
Last i heard it wasn't looking good.
I still live in hope.
With what looks to be another lousy season for boarding that mountain could be the whistler of the south, they must have the shortest season in the country.

·
Registered
115 Posts
bald nutz

Mt bald nutz... what a place. I love it up there, but you DH types might be a bit let down. I've been up there a couple times a month and the core freeride/dh crew with all 80lbs of their protection ride the first lift to the notch... then they gear up and cruise down the fireroad... they don't seem to look out for hikers or people comming up so beware. What seems to be the highlight of the DH run is when they take right off the side of the road down some shale and think they are shredding.

ummm but I do think this place could really pull the dollars in if they made a bike park up at the notch had some actualy trails but I'm unsure it will ever happen.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Baldy has always been sort of a shoe string operation compared to say, Snow Summit. And like the other ski resorts, they are on land leased from the Forest Service, so doing anything takes time, studies and permits. There was a thread here a while ago about it. They are working on a proposal for a bike park, but the Forest Service is requiring environmental studies first. If you search back through the posts in thsi forum, or look over on Ridemonkey, you should be able to get some more info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It ain’t happening.

I was up at the Baldy Lodge drinking at the bar a couple months ago, and chatted up the guy who runs the Baldy lifts. He said the Forest Service keeps making it more and more difficult; rejecting proposal after proposal. He sounded like he is giving up, apart from making a couple small modifications to trails around the upper portions..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.