Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Sacred Rides
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been mountain biking for a long time, and took up yoga 3 years ago (mainly because I beat myself up so much on my mountain bike I needed to do something to treat by body well).

I'm curious if anyone else here also practices yoga. What do you get out of it? For me it's about keeping my body healthy and my mind focused and calm. This helps me out on the trail. And the focus I have on the trail when I'm riding something really technical helps me out when I'm on the mat. The two go well together, at least for me.

Of course, some of my mountain biker friends think I'm a bit of a wanker for practicing yoga.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Are yoga + mountain biking like peanut butter and chocolate (think Reese's peanut butter cups... yum) or more like oil and water?

More musings...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I mountain bike and road bike. I just started yoga a few weeks ago. Well it is the yoga on Wii Fit, so maybe not like the real yoga one would do in a studio. Anyhow, for me the stretching aspects really help me with soreness and stiffness. I just feel better and seem to recover faster.

So far I am finding the Yoga on Wii Fit reasonably hard! Best I look stupid in my home instead of in front of a bunch of strangers!

·
Sacred Rides
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yoga on Wii Fit?

Wow, who knew?

herothedog said:
I mountain bike and road bike. I just started yoga a few weeks ago. Well it is the yoga on Wii Fit, so maybe not like the real yoga one would do in a studio. Anyhow, for me the stretching aspects really help me with soreness and stiffness. I just feel better and seem to recover faster.

So far I am finding the Yoga on Wii Fit reasonably hard! Best I look stupid in my home instead of in front of a bunch of strangers!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Been doing yoga for 2 years and its all good, especially the balance poses. Next time you're doing balance poses like tree pose imagine riding real difficult section of trails and maintaining a tight line. Relaxation is the key and looking about 15ft ahead and breath all the tension out. I can ride the equivalent of a 30 -40 feet on a 4" wide board where I could never do that a few years ago.

Palates classes are great too as core strength is something that will help quite a bit in Mt biking, skiing... It's a bit intimidating being in a class with 15 women that are doing things that you can even come close to doing, but believe me it pays off and the view is not bad either if you know what I mean.:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've been pretty intrigued by the idea of yoga as a beneficiary to mountain biking for flexibility, core strength, balance and mental clarity. However I've never found classes cheap enough I could afford. Which seems horribly ironic.....

·
Living the Dream
1,798 Posts
Do yoga 3 times a week for 3 years now.

It has paid huge dividends for my running, biking, and physical appearance. I just do the GAIM Rodney Yee tapes at home for an hour every other day. I recover faster and am much more limber. I also have better abs and no love handles because the poses are so good for your core--much better than crunches/situps IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yoga certainly helps my mtnbiking, besides core strength, balance, focus and flexibility (esp. tight hamstrings), it makes you more concious of your breathing.
So instead of going out of breath on a hard climb, I will notice this just before that point and change my pace or my breathing.

For me yoga is just the physical exercises, I'm not interested in the spiritual part.

If you think yoga is expensive, check youtube, it has loads of good yoga sessions.
just skip the one called "yoga for your cycle" that's for yogini's only ;-)

·
Sacred Rides
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best wishes for a full recovery

I hope you're riding hard and fully healthy in 2010!

NateHawk said:
I was actually going to pull that out this afternoon...use it as part of my cancer recovery since I've lost ability in nearly all physical categories

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
I've been doing yoga semi-regularly for about 2 years. I think of it as preventative maintenance; being stronger and more flexible makes me less vulnerable to repetitive strain injuries and pulled muscles. I think it makes it easier to recover from a crash, too. The ignorant among us do talk a lot of ish about yoga-I got all kinds of crap for it when I lived on the East Coast-but you just have to remind those guys that when they're laid up with knee or lumbar pain, you're still out there riding. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started taking yoga in school for an art credit and haven't stopped since. This was before I started mountain biking so I couldn't tell you how much of a difference it would make but I can say that it makes your mind and body stronger. Helps to keep limber and you can really concentrate on your core. I would suggest yoga to anyone who lives an active life.

Also provides some good eye candy if you take formal classes. I was the only guy in the first class I took.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been a student in the Iyengar tradition for about 5 years.

I always had awful lower back pain on both the road and trails and haven't had a problem since I started a regular yoga practice.

I'd recommend it to anyone that's at least a little bit interested.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I started yoga to help offset some of the bad stuff I'd done from other sports, particularly in regards to my low back. Yoga helps, no doubt and is something you can continue through your life. I don't know that it specifically helps my biking, but it does help recover and prevent injuries. From a holistic point of view that does help the ride. :D

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I think I will take a look at my gym for their Yoga classes. Will really help with my wrist injury and gain flexibility, being a bigger guy (230lbs) I could be more limber.

I have did karate for over 3 years and it really strengthens your core and gives great balance but I have not retained that since it was over 9 years ago.

pink

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.