Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm taking a month of vacation when I get to NM and want to do a MTB/rock climbing trip all over NM, sort of like a self guide welcome to the awesomeness of NM :thumbsup: . It's going to be from May 20 - June 20. I pretty much just want to pack up my jeep with climbing gear/mtb/tent... and hit up every climbing area and as many MTB trails as possible in a month. The plan sort of is to go to climbing areas and if I can't find people to climb with go roll some trails for the day. I have friends in ABQ , Alamogordo/CC/sunspot and Farmington so have definite riding/climbing partners in those areas. I know this probably isn't the best time of year for this but it's the time I have to do it in. This all being said, can anyone tell me what mountain biking trails have climbing areas near to them? as of right now I now the Organ & Dana Anna mountains have the trails down and around the mountains and Las Cruces , The Tunnel has the Rim Trail in Cloud Croft and the High Altitude race course, Obviously the Sandia Mountains and I heard something about trails out by Enchanted Tower. Does anyone else have any knowledge of climbing areas with MTB trails in close vascinity? All information appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hit the Los Alamos area. More climbing and riding than you can shake a stick at. As far as I'm concerned, the Los Alamos area has the most bang for the buck, as far as being centered in the best variety and quantity of MTB trails in NM. High alpine to knarly canyon rides, they have it. It's pretty much the same kind of place for climbing too.
Cochiti, between Santa Fe & Albuquerque, will aslo have a ton of MTB trails and a ton of climbing.

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Yep, hard to go wrong w/ LA, unless you want dining and entertainment at the end of the day. For a taste of the climbing, check out http://lamountaineers.org/zLOCATE.html. The MTB trails are also abundant, rocky, and uncrowded.
- Joe

delnorte said:
Hit the Los Alamos area. More climbing and riding than you can shake a stick at. As far as I'm concerned, the Los Alamos area has the most bang for the buck, as far as being centered in the best variety and quantity of MTB trails in NM. High alpine to knarly canyon rides, they have it. It's pretty much the same kind of place for climbing too.
Cochiti, between Santa Fe & Albuquerque, will aslo have a ton of MTB trails and a ton of climbing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Los Alamos has the most stuff in a concentrated are - The Jemez is great (Upper East Fork climbing & Las Concas climbing then you can ride the East Fork trail & Battleship rock) Pajarito mtn for MTB & the Dungeon (ride the parjarito & nail trail loop right past the Dungeon) Santa Fe has Diablo Canyon for climbing (then maybe some secret super jumps around there :madman: ) and great riding in the mountains, la tierra & dale ball. El Rito is north of Santa Fe 1 hour with great sport climbing but no singletrack right there though. Maybe get South Boundry in and then climb around Taos & Questa

I climb,ride & dirt jump obseessivly for 35 years :thumbsup: - I love it here in Santa Fe

pictures...Diablo climbing & La Tierra riding

Attachments

·
cantankerous crank
32 Posts
Miiike said:
trails out by Enchanted Tower
Yes, there are some great trails in the Magdalenas and San Mateo mountains, and of course the Tower is superb sport climbing. I'm up for any of that and there is are great crews for both activities in Socorro, so PM if you want company. The biggest problem is that the winter has been very dry and there is a danger that the National Forests may be closed. If so, there is still Box Canyon and the Socorro singletracks but the weather will be getting rather warm!

·
Registered
673 Posts
You know people in Sunspot! Nice! I lived there for a year and a half during elementary school (~10 years ago). I have some fond memories of that place.

If you want to attempt some backpacking, I must recommend the West Fork of the Gila River. I love packing there. If not, then go ride and climb everywhere you can! There are some trails in LC if you're ever around: SST, A Mtn, and the Dona Ana's are what I know of. Lot's of stuff in ABQ too.

P.S. Would you mind letting me know how the riding in/around Sunspot goes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.