Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks at the muni are hoping mountain bikers will spread the word about a nasty incident on Homestead Trail a few days ago. If you know anyone who could be responsible for this, please have a talk with them. This kind of behavior hurts everyone.

A woman was riding her horse up the trail toward Service High when she saw a guy on a mountain bike coming down the hill and toward her at high speed. She moved to the side of the trail to give him room. So what does the moron do? As he flies by her, he gives her a blast of air horn, sending her horse into a panic and causing it to bolt. The rider ended up bruised from crashing through the trees but, fortunately, neither she nor the horse were seriously injured. However, the horse is now freaked out by the sight of anyone on a bicycle, and the owner says it could take months or years to get it comfortable on multi-use trails again.

This is the kind of thing that give other user groups a reason to turn against mountain bikers. Can't say that I'd blame them. Whoever this clown is, he needs some stern schooling.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, we bust our butts

trying to improve our image and all it takes is an incident like this one. Horses are allowed on all trails in the summer time. With Homestead Trail being as wide as a road, there is plenty of room for horse and biker to pass without incident. Horses are prey animals and as such respond with the flight instinct when threatened. The mountain biker could have seriously injured the rider. If a horse injures a leg, that's it folks--no more horse! Good horses are valued at $2,000 to $20,000, no small change compared to the Walmart bike that that yahoo probably rides.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know anyone who rides with an air horn, but who did you here this from? The reason I ask is that if the two people never really stopped to talk to eachother I know that disc breaks can make a hellish sounding squeal when they are wet (maybe the horse rider got confused). I do know a guy who freaked a horse out with his brakes maybe a week ago. I'll talk to him, but there's really nothing you can do about wet pads/rotors and the squeel. I know people with Magura's, Hayes, and Hopes. They all do it from time to time.

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Parks and Rec

AKBiker said:
I don't know anyone who rides with an air horn, but who did you here this from? The reason I ask is that if the two people never really stopped to talk to eachother I know that disc breaks can make a hellish sounding squeal when they are wet (maybe the horse rider got confused). I do know a guy who freaked a horse out with his brakes maybe a week ago. I'll talk to him, but there's really nothing you can do about wet pads/rotors and the squeel. I know people with Magura's, Hayes, and Hopes. They all do it from time to time.
John McCleary of Parks and Rec discussed this incident Monday night during the monthly BLM user groups meeting at the Campbell Creek Science Center. I couldn't be there, but it was passed along to me and others by Lisa Holzapfel from the Rivers, Trails and Conservation Alliance. Lisa rides a bike too, so she's as concerned about this as anyone.

I have some pretty noisy disc brakes myself, but I'm not sure anyone would confuse them with an air horn. In any case, it sounds like excessive speed was also a factor. Slowing down and approaching the horse in a controlled manner would have been the decent thing and safe to do, regardless of the noise.

I always approach horseback riders as carefully as possible because I've never forgotten a good point made by Cosmic Ray, a Flagstaff, Ariz., mountain biker and local guidebook author, back in the '80s before so many mountain bikers were on machines costing a few thousand dollars. At that time, most of us had bikes worth a few hundred bucks and we were getting on the nerves of wealthy horse owners in north Phoenix. Ray pointed out that the horse owners were much better connected than we were, and they could make a call to elected officials and land managers to get trails closed to bikes.

The socio-economic imbalance isn't what is used to be, but we still have to work hard to maintain a decent image for ourselves. Common courtesy will always be in style.

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely and air horn

AKBiker said:
The disc brake question was valid, so I made a couple of calls to get more information. John McCleary is out of the office, but I reached Lisa. She said there is no doubt than an air horn was involved. The woman on the horse reported that the cyclist was holding the horn and pointing it toward her. If I can track down a name and number for the woman, I'll try to reach her personally and find out more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
timwoody said:
The disc brake question was valid, so I made a couple of calls to get more information. John McCleary is out of the office, but I reached Lisa. She said there is no doubt than an air horn was involved. The woman on the horse reported that the cyclist was holding the horn and pointing it toward her. If I can track down a name and number for the woman, I'll try to reach her personally and find out more.
Well that's not cool :( Sounds like the guy deserved a romp through the bushes for that.

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
What an ass

If I see a guy riding on the trails out therewith an air horn I will definately give him a stern talking to and if I get any lip he'll be at the hospital getting said air horn removed from his anus. That kind of behavior is just plain ignorant!!!

·
Wood chips are stupid
779 Posts
what a shame

I have to say it...it just takes one guy to ruin it for all. I kind of hope it was just a stupid kid being a jerk and not a adult among us. I wish we had more intel on the thing. If anyone finds out who it was,take the horn and hide it in a book...he'll never find it.

akdeluxe

·
Registered
44 Posts
lets get angry

i rode those trails all the time... horses would move over and then last min. step in front of you... also think of some other ways this could have happened... not everyone on a horse knows everything about a bike... what i'm getting at is, i have a sqeaky horn(sqeeze it to make noise, right) going fast enough it will just chirp so you hold it to make it stop... what if he was holding it cause he knew the horse would freak and the house moved or he might have slipped a bit and grabed the bar, which is under the horn... complete accident... think it over before you get angry and if you find this person, don't start off yelling at them ask them how they saw it happening... wanna giver bikers a good image? then don;t piss off half of them for no reason... $0.02

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Give me a break

Mr. Lemons said:
i rode those trails all the time... horses would move over and then last min. step in front of you... also think of some other ways this could have happened... not everyone on a horse knows everything about a bike... what i'm getting at is, i have a sqeaky horn(sqeeze it to make noise, right) going fast enough it will just chirp so you hold it to make it stop... what if he was holding it cause he knew the horse would freak and the house moved or he might have slipped a bit and grabed the bar, which is under the horn... complete accident... think it over before you get angry and if you find this person, don't start off yelling at them ask them how they saw it happening... wanna giver bikers a good image? then don;t piss off half of them for no reason... $0.02
I hardly think anyone is going to confuse an air horn with your Snoopy-head squeeze horn. Mr. Lemons. And given the fact that the horseback rider said the guy was aiming the air horn right at her, your "accidental grab" theory is pretty thin. But even if we give this clown the benefit of the doubt for a moment and assume that he was holding the horn in case the horse "freaked," that's a pretty stupid way to deal with a nervous horse. There is zero, and I mean ZERO reason to use a horn on a horse. I grew up riding horses and I can assure you that you will accomplish nothing positive by frightening one with sudden, loud noises on the trail. And let's not forget that after this incident, the guy apparently made no attempt to stop and help the woman he just sent crashing through the forest on a panicked horse. That's a real classy move.

Here's an idea: Slow the hell down and approach carefully. If you see a horse acting jumpy, stop and dismount your bike. Help the horse rider out; it won't kill you. As bicyclists, we're always demanding that motorists give us some room and wait until it's safe to pass us. We're always pointing out that, hey, it won't hurt you to arrive a few seconds later because you slowed down for a bicycle. It goes both ways. Would it have been such a big deal for this guy to have spent 20 seconds getting by the horse safely?

·
Registered
44 Posts
theory

it was justa thought... come up with your own... have you even been accused of something and had it get out of hand for nothing?... not to discredit the horse rider... but somelady justified in her mind that i was a good thing that she edged over on me till i went off the road into a ditch, cause "bikes belong on the sidewalk, not the road"
again just my $0.02

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
hmm

Speaking of idiots with horns...

A couple weeks ago when I was riding around downtown a couple arseclowns in a jacked up, red Dodge pickup truck with a bullhorn went by with and yelled something at me that I couldn't understand. It surprised me a little bit and they were laughing as they passed. After they passed I heard them yell at two girls walking down the street, "hey you with the red hair nice tits." I caught up to them at the next stoplight and as I was rolling up the guy quickly rolled up his window. When I motioned for him to roll it down the driver looked both ways and ran the stop light. I gave them a big thumbs up for being so cool. :rolleyes:

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yelling fools

daveIT said:
Speaking of idiots with horns...

A couple weeks ago when I was riding around downtown a couple arseclowns in a jacked up, red Dodge pickup truck with a bullhorn went by with and yelled something at me that I couldn't understand. It surprised me a little bit and they were laughing as they passed. After they passed I heard them yell at two girls walking down the street, "hey you with the red hair nice tits." I caught up to them at the next stoplight and as I was rolling up the guy quickly rolled up his window. When I motioned for him to roll it down the driver looked both ways and ran the stop light. I gave them a big thumbs up for being so cool. :rolleyes:
My favorite yelling-from-a-car story: A few years ago I was riding up University Drive toward Providence Hospital at 1 a.m. on my way home from work. I was using my headlight in the front and a blinking red strobe on the back. My tension level began to rise as a pickup came up from behind and started to slow down (always a bad sign, I've found). Then a guy leaned out the window as the truck passed and he yelled, "YOUR BATTERIES ARE GOIN' DEAD. YOUR LIGHT'S FLICKERING!"

I kept thinking about it and laughing the rest of the way home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trail etiquette

California State Parks (yeah I know California :rolleyes: ) have a very simple method of keeping trail conflicts to a minimum. Though they ought to have lots of practice on this one.

Horses and bikes yield the trail to hikers,
Bikes yield to horses.

It doesn't mention skiers and skijorers, but I'd suggest they both yield to horses unless waived by. Let's not forget that their riders are attached to a 1200 pound creature with the brain of a 4-year old.

CA SP also have a 15 mph speed limit, but let's not get there...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.