Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all , looking for some local beta / input. My wife and I are rolling around going to visit her mom in AZ (we live in Alaska) this next winter (jan or feb) and thought "Hey , we could take the bikes!". She lives in Surprise so we'd try to keep it closeish to there but would consider something a little further away (a night or two away) if it was worth it. Im a fairly advanced rider , she is just getting ready to dip her toes into the black diamond pool and we both have very capable bikes ( transition scout and brand new stumpjumper). Any advice or insider tips would be great! Cheers!

PS , yes I do hear that Sedona is epic but I'm not sure she is ready for that yet , haha.

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Sedona may be snowed in as well... Fins is over in the Surprise are .. Always South Mountain and tons of riding depending on how far you want to drive. You'r basically on the wrong side of town for all the good stuff so plan to commute a bit.

There is a sticky at the top of this page with a lot of good advice... Some may be a bit outdated but not to the point of making a real difference.

I'm sure you can stir up some guides / group rides as it gets closer...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit of a commute is no sweat , was just looking for things that are within about an hour each way. That way the drive isn't bad which leaves plenty of time for riding and après.

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Pretty much everything in the valley is within an hour so you have endless opportunities...

Jan/ Feb are the wet months around here so plan for that. If you can push the trip to mid march you'll be in primo riding weather wise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh , good to know! We were hoping for jan/feb since that is the depth of winter and once march rolls around its time for peak season spring skiing. But not biking in the rain is quite nice so that is definitely something to consider. Appreciate that , thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you hit good weather down here don't write off Sedona. The blacks and double blacks get all the hype, but there are plenty of good challenging blue trails, too. And some of the black trails, Mescal for instance, is probably more of an intermediate trail. It's a classic, though-short but fun-and should not be missed if you find yourself in Sedona.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the weather in the desert areas (Phx metro area) too much. A storm front will roll through in one day, and the next day it is hero dirt. Further up north of Phoenix, weather is more a factor.

Pretty much everything in the valley is within an hour so you have endless opportunities...

Jan/ Feb are the wet months around here so plan for that. If you can push the trip to mid march you'll be in primo riding weather wise.

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
everything in the Phoenix area is primo during those months, it's our prime season. Even if it rains it drains quickly and very little mud is ever seen. Sedona is definitely cool. Epic is not a word I would use to describe it. I'll leave that for Moab. but that's really a matter of perspective. Folks from the eastern half of the United States who aren't used to the West might argue with me. If you're from Alaska then I'm sure you're used to some pretty good views yourself. However it's still a definite destination but in those months ice and light snow are completely possible.

Honestly to keep it simple and since you're staying in Surprise, I would just check out all the local Phoenix area destinations. There's tons of cool riding to be had and the weather will be awesome even if a cold front runs through. If it's freezing cold you might actually have to ride in 45 degree weather, haha.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
If I were to plan a mtn bike vacation in Phoenix January and February would be the months do it. Ideal weather conditions. Like others have stated no trails in Surprise, but hundreds of miles trails with in a 60 min drive. Take your pick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.