Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you going this year?

Who you going with? Why there? Been there before?

Enquiring minds want to know. Any recommendations btw?

SPAIN2014_Day two_By ADL-6429.jpg

fc

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,554 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I've been doing a golf/mtb trip to Graeagle every year for about 14 years with a bunch of friends from high school.

We usually have 10-15 guys, rent a house or two on the golf course. The best and most stressful time is the first card game. We have to play for rooms, only the top 4-5 get rooms then it's a free for all, couches, chairs, floors whatever.

Lots of good food, good golf, great rides, great friends.

Every year I golf less and ride more, the trails get better every time. Last year we discovered The Brewing Lair, Oh man, its gooood.

·
enjoying the scenery
318 Posts
3 Days in Auburn coming up
Every August a week at Donner (Pass, not Lake.)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
June = Park City, UT
July = Whistler, BC
August = Ashland, OR

It's going to be a good summer! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
If I had the time I'd go to Sun Valley, by far my favorite domestic spot with Durango a distant second.

As it stands I'll have to make do with a few short trips to Graeagle, Tahoe and perhaps Mendocino.

::cue tiny violin::

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'll be going to the Boreale Mountain Bike Camp Boréale Mountain Biking in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory in late June for a 5 day session....They advertise 500km of developed mtb trails in the area. They provide nice lodging and gourmet food and guides. Pics and Video are available on their website.....looks awesome and I know they come down for the Bay Area Bike Show to advertise most years.

I'm throwing in the 24hrs of Light solo mtb race the week before camp. This 24hr race stipulates you cannot use lights as the sun is up for most of the race and light dusk in the middle of the night.....that is going to be really weird to race with the sun out at midnight.

Can't wait for all of this!!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Was in Garda a few years ago, and did two days of riding through a local tour company. One ride was King Tramezzo?, don't recall the other. Wasn't a lot of singletrack, mostly older jeep/wagon road but very cool for the historical aspects (WWI ruins and tunnels), refugios, etc. When in the area again, I will try to ride more north in the Dolomites.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been doing a golf/mtb trip to Graeagle every year for about 14 years with a bunch of friends from high school.

We usually have 10-15 guys, rent a house or two on the golf course. The best and most stressful time is the first card game. We have to play for rooms, only the top 4-5 get rooms then it's a free for all, couches, chairs, floors whatever.

Lots of good food, good golf, great rides, great friends.

Every year I golf less and ride more, the trails get better every time. Last year we discovered The Brewing Lair, Oh man, its gooood.
Love it. Play for rooms.

The Brewing Lair... is that the Graegle brewery? They got game.

fc

·
Registered
883 Posts
I pack my bike in a hard travel case and in specific to my trip to the Yukon will send it UPS as it is the same cost as all the airline fees plus the case won't get opened while in transit.

Depending on my destination and the fees involved at times I fly with my bike case but I'm careful to use foam pipe insulation on all the tubes and zip tie everything all together so it forms a single unit so the TSA monkeys don't ruin anything.

I've found that most rental bikes suck and I like riding my own equipment, especially when paying all that money for a nice bike vacation:cool:

·
Mtbr Founder
34,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you guys pack your bikes in a suitcase? Or rent?
Tough question and this is why many choose to drive instead of fly.

If one has a good bike case, flying with the bike is cool. Although these days, some airlines like Delta are price-gouging for bike luggage ($200+ one way)

fc

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wife and I are heading to Oregon mid summer. My wife has a 5 day conference in Portland - She thought it would be good idea for me to drive up with the bikes at the end and we take 9-10 days and ride a few different zones Mt. Hood/River, LaGrande, and Bend. Originally she wanted to go to Whistler. After we both heard really good things about these places in Oregon and gain 2 riding/rest days by not driving up to Whistler, Oregon is the winner.

She's has riding friends in Portland and I have them in Bend. First purpose to ride MTB vacation ever. Stoked.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Going to Bend for the first time in June and I was also debating the packing vs. renting conundrum.
You can rent an awesome bike from many places in Bend for much less than buying a case, and paying freight four times on Alaska Air (no direct flights).

There are so many consignment shops in Bend, you can probably buy a bike, and resell it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts