Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
balance, weighting and un-weighting
This is everything in auto sports as well and I'm glad they transferred it over to MTBing where it applies equally well. Even at the highest level in F1, it's all about who comes off the brakes a little smoother, who gets on the throttle a little quicker because their car is balanced on exit.

While watt production pretty much rules the podium in XC and - yes - enduro races, picking up a couple of tenths on each turn certainly doesn't hurt.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
I'm putting in another vote for Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brain and Lee.

I'm only on chapter 4 and I feel like my life is changed. Their understanding of body position, balance, weighting and un-weighting the bike is worlds ahead of anything I've ever seen on youtube. I can't wait until next Spring to try this stuff out!
You have better patience than I...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Would be good if there was an updated book. The above mentioned ones are pretty old. Would be nice to have a version that also talks about modern geo etc.

Lack of modern bikes doesn't make the book look bad itself. but buying a book in 2000 and it hasn't been updated in 10 years isn't good. You probably can find a 10 year old book in your library.

Same way I want to buy a book about a software for the current version, not for the 5 year old version of the same software.

So keep that in mind. Even if printing sate is more recent, doesn't mean they actually got updated.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Would be good if there was an updated book. The above mentioned ones are pretty old. Would be nice to have a version that also talks about modern geo etc.

Lack of modern bikes doesn't make the book look bad itself. but buying a book in 2000 and it hasn't been updated in 10 years isn't good. You probably can find a 10 year old book in your library.

Same way I want to buy a book about a software for the current version, not for the 5 year old version of the same software.

So keep that in mind. Even if printing sate is more recent, doesn't mean they actually got updated.
The 3rd edition was published in 2017. Also, geo has nothing to do with rider skill. Conversations around "modern" geo are irrelevant to the goal of the book. They're not trying to hype new bikes based on 2 degrees difference of HTA.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,438 Posts
The 3rd edition was published in 2017. Also, geo has nothing to do with rider skill. Conversations around "modern" geo are irrelevant to the goal of the book. They're not trying to hype new bikes based on 2 degrees difference of HTA.
Agreed. 100% irrelevant. The analogy to software is a very poor one.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
Years ago, I read McCormack's MTB skills book. Being the stubborn fool I am - it took many crashes and scars, before I finally took heed to all his teachings.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Years ago, I read McCormack's MTB skills book. Being the stubborn fool I am - it took many crashes and scars, before I finally took heed to all his teachings.
Think about the down time, sittin in front of the TV when you could take 30 minutes to an hour for a practice session. Take some of the information you saw in the instructional and work it. You'll be amazed how much you progress in a shorter time than you think. All about good times!

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for all the help, going through the 3rd edition of mastering mountain bike skills as we speak and I like it and more importantly she too.

As pointed out the book was updated
They talk about Brians bike at the time
which was the ellsworth rogue 60 which was introduced 2016 I think.

While the book does not replace videos imho it gives me an opportunity to disconnect from all the electrical gizmos.
Which helps me because I get easily sidetracked on the interweb.

Thanks again and merry christmas.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Thanks for all the help, going through the 3rd edition of mastering mountain bike skills as we speak and I like it and more importantly she too.

As pointed out the book was updated
They talk about Brians bike at the time
which was the ellsworth rogue 60 which was introduced 2016 I think.

While the book does not replace videos imho it gives me an opportunity to disconnect from all the electrical gizmos.
Which helps me because I get easily sidetracked on the interweb.

Thanks again and merry christmas.
SQUIRREL!!!

There is plenty to be gained from written information. When it gets confusing, you can certainly refer to video for clarification. What really matters is getting out and giving it a go. Try to work on one thing at a time to keep focus on it.

Acre66: It goes something like this.
Bike: Dude, you're doin it wrong...

I remember the days of sorting a proper manual. That for some comes easy and for others is a challenge. I was in the latter camp but I did get it eventually. Some will never get there hard as they try.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah, I sorta did that when I started riding motorbikes, I threw money at the bike not realizing that it was not the bike holding me back but rather my lack of skills.
Fortunately most of my involuntary dismounts ended just in property damage and a whole new level of riding opened up for me when I attended track day schools.

When this covid thing finally blows over I will go for some classes and in the mean time I will work on some little trail and I use the word trail fairly loosely since I have not real idea what I am doing on my property.

·
Kick Start My Heart
606 Posts
Read the book.
Do NOT read it cover to cover, go in steps.
Do not think reading it makes it happen, rather practice, practice, practice. I practice bike handling in my culdesac, and it really has helped.
Light hands, heavy feet.
Here's an extra: Through the years of books and lessons with Lee, he always emphasizes, 'get lower'.
Dude changed my riding, changed my life.
Merry Christmas!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Guys, forgive me for reviving an old topic, but I wanted to ask you for advice on a book for anyone just starting out on their mountain biking journey. What books should I read first?
3rd edition of mastering mountain bike skills is a good start imho.

And like davesz26 said go in steps and just work on one or two skills at a time.

I also would not change to many things on once at your bike too.

·
Banned
1 Posts
3rd edition of mastering mountain bike skills is a good start imho.

And like davesz26 said go in steps and just work on one or two skills at a time.

I also would not change to many things on once at your bike too.

The recommendations you gave above will be very useful for me, because reading special technical literature that relates to mountain bikes is very important for me. Recently, I have been given a lot of assignments at the university, so I spend less time reading technical literature and spending time studying. I am helped by a company assignmentbro.com/us/do-my-homework that does some of the homework assignments given at the university and with which I have the greatest difficulties.
Thank you so much for these recommendations!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts