Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

looking for a book for someone who wants to get back into the sport and wants to learn.
Back in the day it was Ned Overend’s Mountain bike like a champion and while I know its a bit dated when comes to the bikes he refers to I wonder if it holds up in the riding technique part or is there something better?

Thank you.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,141 Posts
If it's a gift I understand the desire for a paperback book, but I agree Youtube has way more and better content on every topic under the sun.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't think there's any comparison between reading a book with a couple static pics vs. watching videos (and often accompanying helpful comments). It's probably only second to actually having someone right there to teach you.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Hey there,

looking for a book for someone who wants to get back into the sport and wants to learn.
Back in the day it was Ned Overend's Mountain bike like a champion and while I know its a bit dated when comes to the bikes he refers to I wonder if it holds up in the riding technique part or is there something better?

Thank you.
Look up Ryan Leach... Lotsa good information and options that are reasonably up to date.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,438 Posts
Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - Lee McCormack. The guys knows his stuff, and his clinics are great too!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
...and Brian Lopes.

I have the second edition. It's so good I bought my daughter the exact same book.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

There's a third edition now...

Clothing Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Whatever edition, this is the bible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another +1 to the Lopes/McCormack book (seems like McCormack really wrote it). The problem with videos is they're full of nonsense. Thirty second musical opening, some meandering commentary on current social events and finally some splashy hipster comment on technique that might or might not be correct. I can tell you that the stuff in the McCormack book is correct in so far that it works. I've been riding for 25 years and that book made me a better rider.

The Ryan Leach video school is very good, but more focused on certain techniques like hopping and track stands. The cornering school didn't impress me after reading the much more concise version in the McCormack book.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,849 Posts
As with everything, there's variability in the options. The bad thing about video is that it's allowed any moron to proliferate bad advice. It's relatively hard to find the really good content. And even then, some people work better with some presenters than others.

In person lessons suffer from some of the same problems, actually. There's quite a few people out there teaching things that they aren't qualified to teach. It happens with books, too. But for things like mtb, it's just not as popular a medium anymore, so there's fewer options on both ends of the spectrum.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - Lee McCormack. The guys knows his stuff, and his clinics are great too!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I have the third edition, and it has lots of good info, but any book or video really needs some explanation, ideally from a coach. Questions and misinterpretations will come up when people are trying to apply all these tips (like taking "light hands, heavy feet" too literally).

Also, point 'em to Lee's blog, where they can send their questions to him, or ask in the comments of the blog posts. There are a ton of nuggets in the blog that aren't in the book, and he can be pretty responsive:
https://www.leelikesbikes.com/blog

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm putting in another vote for Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brain and Lee.

I'm only on chapter 4 and I feel like my life is changed. Their understanding of body position, balance, weighting and un-weighting the bike is worlds ahead of anything I've ever seen on youtube. I can't wait until next Spring to try this stuff out!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts