Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any polo players out there. I have been playing with a local group of XC riders for about 8 years now. We play every Sunday morning during the cooler months (Sept-March). We have a blast and we have our own rules. The official rules seem very lame and seem to take a lot of the bike handling skills out of the game, almost like they took the rules from equestriab polo and adapted them to bikes. Our form is much more like Lacrosse, soccer, or icehockey(without the full contact). Just wondering if there are any polo players out there in the MTB world, my guess is that the "official" game is much more suited for roadies. The Washington Post did a write-up on our group and made us sound like barbarians compared to the "proper" polo players, but in fact we have never had an injury, just a taco'd wheel of two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bike polo

Alan,

Been playing for 10 years in phx, az. What are you using for mallets? We don't have many rules either. Seems like most groups that play don't.

-Mike

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,734 Posts
Without Full Contact??

Alan-S said:
like Lacrosse, soccer, or icehockey(without the full contact)
What fun is that?
But seriously the few times I've played it was with roadies and there was plenty of contact. Lots of spills but only a few broken components.
We started off with 'mallets' but quicklk ditched them and just used our wheels to guide the ball around.

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
It's been a while. I played quite a bit in the Twin Cities about 10 years ago. I think they still play a lot out there. I was actually contemplating trying to get something going on out here in Florida. Woudn't that be cool. Having different chapters taking road trips to other states to play each other. Hell, we did a trip to Winnepeg to play the locals out there. I've got to look in to planning this. BTW, we made not pretense, we played hard, but no one really got hurt. Broken spoke and taco'ed wheel happened now and then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
full contact

Agree... Full contact is necessary. Our rule is that you have to keep your hands on the bars if fighting for position. It works well. Lots of getting your elbow in front of someone and leaning to gain position. Another rule that needs to be there is no purposeful crashing to stop play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
local chapters

That is a good idea. We've had a few broken ribs from hard OTB's over out 10 year stint and stitches from accidental mallets to the head. All in good fun. Nothing like showing up to work with a black eye. Scares people from playing though. It's worth it though. Downhill rims prevent the taco situation. It is fun though doing a field repair on a tacoed rim.

What do you need to get started? people, equipment, or both?

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
Equipment, you need a minimum of 4 people (small field), but it's one of those game where you can play a lot more if you have the appropriate sized field. Mallets can be but together from stuff at a hardware store (I'll put the website up from my old group when I get home). Then you need to define the goal, we used small traffic cones. Just don't bring your good bike. Schwinn or even a road master would be the prototype polo-bike. DH wheels are a bit much (but ride what you like).

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I've played some polo and trained polo ponies down here and have heard of people playing bike polo, but never seen it in person. Don't know what ball you use, but if you use a official polo ball things could get hairy. As for the mallets you just use cut down polo sticks, I have a short stick I use for just walking about hitting the ball, would work on a bike too.

A must is an old. hard, steel framed bike and some stiff rims. Also the rear brake on the left, or do you not go by the mallet in the right hand only rule?

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
I don't know what everyone else uses, but we use to use wiffle balls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
polo equipment

We use softball sized wiffle balls and our mallets are golf shafts with custome urethane heads. Makes the game a lot faster with lighter mallets. We started out with ski poles glued to chunks of 2X4's. Worked well but was hard on your wrist because of the weight.

The wiffle ball works great. No OTB when you run over the ball.

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
Yeah, we did the 2x4 mallet heads. Those were always the last ones picked. It's been 10 years, but I can still feel the ache on my wrist.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I even had a polo bike for a while. Rigid SS with mustache bars and both brakes hooked up to the left lever. Full contact is the way to go, as long as you are required to keep one hand on the bar, the other on the mallet, and no hitting with the mallet. :nono:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts