Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok here's my story...

It was another miracle trip. I got to go and everything came together perfectly. We had four days of riding and we were together with our best friends and best new friends.

Well it wasn't really perfect. The weather was hot, really hot. It was always between 90 and 100 degrees during the daytime. But I made a pledge not to complain about the weather and it didn't really interfere with the fun. Just drink and ride the shuttle up the trails dammit!!

Schedule: Since we were with the great Justjeff and Rensho, everthing was taken care of. They signed us up for MBO shuttles on Friday/Sun and they organized self shuttles on Friday and Saturday. Schedule was like this:

Thursday - 2 self shuttle runs down Larison Rock trail. 4400 fooot descent with 70 foot climb
Friday - Lawler Shuttle and Hardesty Shuttle rides
Saturday - 24 mile shuttle ride on Mackenzie River trail (2 hours from camp)
Sunday - Alpine shuttle trail.

That schedule was incredible!!! I've had some good rides in this summer but this package was off the shizzle. Plus the company was soooo awesome.

The crashes:
There were no big crashes in our group or the whole MBO! Our small list is:
Fc- put a pedal on rock at high speed and soared. Landed on shoulder but all is good.
Derek - Took a pedal and chainring on the shin and later put a pedal on a rock as well and flew off. All is well.
Rensho - was hit from behind on a slow corner and got some road rash on a rock. owie.

The missing:
Aussie Bob, JeffH and Carmen, Baycat, Nick and Felicia, Biglarry, Ebrider and others were missed!

The highlights:
Alpine trail - wow. It's as good as they say it is.
Mackenzie River trail - great in the rain and absolutely stunning in the dry.
Lawler and Hardesty - This combo ride just delivers.

So there. Join us next year.

fc

photos:

Da bus:

The endless view on Lawler trail

The many bridges of the Mackenzie River Trail (MRT)

Alex on the lake loop on MRT

Ron Aclan at warp speed

Mark59 enjoying his brand new Jeff Jones bike

MRT Waterfall

Ron at the waterfall

fc at the blue pool. The river goes in a lava tube for miles and comes out in this pool. The clarity is grade A.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
I found out that I can ride in 100+ degree temps and still have a good time. The secret is LOTS of water & mostly downhill trails ( so that means no Coe rides anytime soon Shiloh )

Another well run, fun event in a prime mountain biking destination

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I got a call from

Dan and Shiloh last night as they were passing the City or Town of Weed, CA on their way back... I wonder what made them think of me :skep:

Looks like you all had an incredible time can't wait to see more pics, glad you all had fun because that is what it is all about :thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Just got back myself. Lost my camera on the North Umpqua Tuesday and when I bought a replacement camera didn't get the SD card I thought, so I only have a few photos on the resident memory and doubt they're worthy of posting. Good seeing all the mtbr folk from norcal who attended. Great festival and kudos to Randy and crew and DoD and Oakridge and Chris King, Specialized and Yeti folk!
Chris

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
another day at the office
1,197 Posts
Lots of trails, lots of riding, and lots of memories.

I walked away with a few scratches and bruises, but nothing major. It was fun hanging out with everyone and descending 10 times more than climbing. I could have gotten a few more hours of sleep if those baby ospreys weren't so noisy at 4am. Sheesh!

Below are a few photos from our trip. The full album with 60 pics are at https://picasaweb.google.com/derek.mau.99/MBO2008

bikes unloaded and ready for action

Hmmm, what color was my bike?

Jarel, our bus driver of the day

You all be careful out there!

Francois, JustJeff, Rafael, Dan51, and The Law reliving their happy memories riding the bus to school

·
1,197 Posts
more MBO photos

Rachel and Justin having happy thoughts of riding

sirkrameroy way too excited at 7am

Rensho preparing for more awesome riding at MBO

Ron calling in a stock trade before hitting the trails

Mark59 and his new Jeff Jones 29er

·
1,197 Posts
I got more MBO photos

Matt (one of our guides for Lawler/Hardisty)

Francois showing off his battle scars (old and new)

I got attacked by my own chainring and now considering a bash guard

jdubsl2 ready for action before the Heckletooth ride

A blurry photo of Mark59, Francois, Rensho, Ron on the MRT

Scenic stop #1 on the MRT - Sahalie Falls

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
Good times, good times

Friday: Flat Creek x 2
Saturday: Alpine
Sunday: Alpine redux

I'd been on the road/plane with my girlfriend for ~ 2 weeks by the time we'd arrived in Oakridge on Thursday afternoon. I'd hoped to saddle up a bit that evening to shake out the cobwebs, but no luck. Friday's shuttle rides provided 3 miles of gorgeous descending ST each time up and plenty of flatland ST back to camp. Taking a van to the top and coasting down made me realize how much I need to climb a bit to warm up; I think I was still half asleep the first time down.

On Saturday, Alpine was perfect: Shuttled up more than 90% of the way, and climbed the remaining 500' or so before the first descent. Wide awake and breathing, I had a blast down the first half of it: crossing meadows, ferns in the Ewok forest, swoopy ST that brought out my unknown pump-track skills (yep, it really works). My brother went OTB twice, but he was on platforms and managed jump his bars and land on his feet both times (I'd certainly have scrubbed hard if it were me.)

The second half of this ride stepped up the challenge: descents became steeper and loose with occasional shale crossings, and much of the trail now traversed along a steep bank with less cushy plant life on the flanks. Despite the increased gravity of the ride, we finished it incident free.

After struggling a bit with the descents on Alpine on Saturday, my brother and I reconsidered our Sunday schedule. I decided to go around again. Of course, it went by too fast this time, but in the end, who can complain about 10+ miles of beautiful single track that allows a rider to explore their skill set so much? All in all, this trail is the best single track trail I've ridden to date: Swoopy, loamy forest rides, challenging descents, all broken up nicely with the occasional mild climb.

Next time 'round: Middlefork. Thanks Randy and all of the volunteers at MBO for a great summer riding experience.

Here's a shot of my brother:

Attachments

·
1,197 Posts
One more set of MBO photos

You can view the full album at https://picasaweb.google.com/derek.mau.99/MBO2008

This is the only time Mark59 took off his helmet while on the MRT

Rensho and his trusty SS Niner

Ron photographing another subject

Safety first for Mark59

Ron ready for more flowy singletrack on the MRT

Snack break for Jeff on the MRT

Sirkrameroy cruising on the MRT after fixing 3 flat tires

·
Mtbr Founder
35,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh man, I just saw a Bustamove's photo of my beloved shades:

They looked funky but they worked well. Now they're in pieces as I dropped them and crushed them! Warranty!!

Btw, who's got pictures of the incredible party bus RV that drove in from San Jose. Everybody thought it was a joke until it rollllllled in.

fc

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you haven't experienced MBO this is a MUST DO on the bucket list!

If I was not clear in my subject line, YOU MUST FIND A WAY TO DO THIS RIDE...yes that was all caps!

More pics posted here:
http://gallery.me.com/ronaclan#100277

Epic trails and awesome company make for a truly memorable experience. I'm so glad that Raf insisted that this was a must do and to any of you out there who haven't yet experienced MBO, write this goal down, put it on your calendar, look at it everyday and make it happen next year. You will not be disappointed!

You know how you ride Skegg's Blue Blossom, Manzanita, Resolution or Demo's Ridge, Braille and Tractor and still crave for more...lots more...Well the enter the MRT Mckenzie River Trail. For those of you who played video games before Xbox and Playstation, this trail is extended play times ten! This trail offered more single track than I could handle. Dicing up this singletrack with the likes of FC, JustJeff, Derek, Tom, Mark, Jeff, Raf and Stu was an experience of a lifetime.

The red lava rocks of the MRT greeted us at the trail head and imposed their will on us with a plethora of jagged and sinuous up and down singletrack combined with a full lake view. Enjoying an expansive panoramic glass water lake view while testing your technical handling skills on challenging singletrack made me remember that I don't chew gum and walk at the same time very well:)

The view of Sahalie Falls with its roaring thunder of water in the late summer was truly awe inspiring!

We were so glad to find a water spigot at the midway point! Due to the heat I consumed over 200 oz. in 25 miles of riding.

The flow on the MRT trail is second to none...let it flow, let it flow, let it flow...
Green Green everywhere
Lush leaves, tall trees
Grin Grin
Spin Spin
Ride Smile
Bridge, Jump, small bump
Roots, Rock and Roll
Crank Crank
Heart Thump
Lungs Burn
Quick turn...carve turn...flow turn
Legs Burn
S-curve, feel the verve
Feel the trails' rhythm
Feel the trails' rhyme
Wishin' you could do this section all the time!

I also rode Lawler (more technical and primitive) Hardesty (faster flow) and Alpine (heart pounding, lung busting climbs and fast fast flow...can you say long, straight let your brakes go singletrack!)...all of them epic downhill singletrack with less pedaling than the MRT.

More pics here:
http://gallery.me.com/ronaclan#100277

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
MRT was fun but.....

after riding the NUT, I think Ogre and I are convinced it's the better ride. Even all the pain in my knee after crashing on Saturday couldn't keep me from enjoying this ride. And the views rawked!!!:thumbsup: Looking down on rafters riding the rapids below was great fun.

Thanks to Kevin, Seth, Emily, and the pups for helping to make the whole weekend a kick. Definitely an awesome way to cap off a weekend of Oregon riding.

Of course I can never thank Randy, Porter, and their crew of DOD guides enough for all the work that they put into this event.:cool: :D :thumbsup:

Fiona

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
MBO - What a truly epic weekend of riding!

I don't think I've had that much fun on the bike in years. Great company from the Norcal crowd, fantastic hosts, and some absolutely amazing trails.

On Friday morning I boarded the shuttle to Alpine trail, a 3 hour rocket ride down the mountain that features some mad flow. The aptly named Jedi forest section is not to miss. Arriving back at camp a bit early, I decided to climb up to Larison Rock trail. The 2000+ ft climb in 90 degree heat was a slog, but the reward is a fun, steep ride down the mountain.

On Saturday I joined the MTBR crew for a self-shuttled excursion to the legendary Mackenzie River trail. After a scenic 1-1/2 hour drive from camp, we embarked on what would turn out to be a long, hot, challenging, but very rewarding day of riding. The scenery is simply stunning and the trail quite technical in places, with sections of tricky lava that would take its toll on my rear tire (2 flats! Thanks again for helping patch the tubes, Jeff!). Although we didn't get back to camp until 7 and missed the Chris King dinner, it was absolutely worth it.

On Sunday I joined Dan, Shiloh, and Justin for a trek to Tire Mountain trail. You start off doing the top section of Alpine trail and then branch off after 6 miles onto some amazing singletrack that swoops down the mountain through the trees. After getting to the bottom of tire mountain, we climbed back up another 4 miles of fireroad to do the bottom portion of Alpine trail. We arrived back at camp exhausted and eager to hop in the river one last time to rinse off.

I can't wait to go back again and for anyone who hasn't gone, make the effort. You won't regret it!

Some photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
switchbaxr said:
blah blah blah
;) great descriptions..

some quality pics in that bunch!

also some quality beverages consumed. Thanks New Belgium, and appologies, but one can only have so much fat tire.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I sold my white bike. I now hand you the white bike torch. It even blurred my lens.

fc

Attachments

·
Ya Darn Tootin'!
50 Posts
Ok,......... so we've got some options from here.

sirkrameroy said:
MBO - What a truly epic weekend of riding! After getting to the bottom of tire mountain, we climbed back up another 4 miles of fireroad to do the bottom portion of Alpine trail. We arrived back at camp exhausted and eager to hop in the river one last time to rinse off.
We can keep climbing...............

Just kidding!!
Glad you all enjoyed the "Extension" on the tire ride and didn't kill me and Wes for putting you through some more uphill. But it was worth it.........right??

In all honesty, we had a great time showing off our trails to you all.
If you guys and gals are ever in the Eugene area again, drop us a line and we'll have to ride.

Happy summer,
-Abe

1 - 20 of 47 Posts