Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ladies,

I just spoke to the organizers of this ride and found out that there is about a 40% female sign up so far, which is more than they had last year. I'd love to see more women out there. We could have so much fun together.

I just read that Mountain Bike Oregon has a special price for the holidays. It's only $130 for 3 days - in Oakridge. Read more here:

http://blog.orbike.com/archives/200...he_gift_o_1.php

Alos, I recently read a post here from a guy who was all "Girls can ride too! My daughter proved it by pumking me today" like it was news. We don't have anything to prove and anywone who thinks it's a big deal to realize women can ride needs to get with the times. Don't get me wrong, it's great he posted this, that he rides with his daughter, etc, but come ON! It's 2006 (just about).

Okay, come with me to MTB Oregon!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
niconico said:
Alos, I recently read a post here from a guy who was all "Girls can ride too! My daughter proved it by pumking me today" like it was news. We don't have anything to prove and anywone who thinks it's a big deal to realize women can ride needs to get with the times. Don't get me wrong, it's great he posted this, that he rides with his daughter, etc, but come ON! It's 2006 (just about).

Okay, come with me to MTB Oregon!!!!!!!!
I'm not trying to stick up for kawboy...I'd rather go on a road ride than that... ;) but he was talking about how his like 12 year old daughter hit a drop on a trail that he's passed by a ton of times...and tried to get him to do it, but was too chicken...I think you missed the point... :D

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I'm with irieness on this one.

I'm sure there are other, more generous, interpretations of that "daughter punking" statement. Simply as a parent I felt the same way when my 12 year old son dusted me on a climb. It is a statement of pride as opposed to a backhanded compliment to women riders.
40% women signing up is huge and very exciting. I hope it is very well attended and continues to grow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a valid point

The dude goes out of his way to say "Girls can ride". That shouldn't be a statement people need to make. It's like saying "Women should get to vote! I swear, here's why..."

To say women can ride is like DUH! And did you know they can do all sorts of other things men can?

Geeeeeeze.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Duh

I know men who can't ride for Shite.

I will be at MTB Oregon with my girlfriendand both of my daughters, (13 and 15 by then) they aren't big mountain bikers, but they lie to get outside, and I like doing stuff with them, whether it's biking, sailing, eating, or GOD FORDID, shopping.

Hope to see you all there.....on your best behavior, of course.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
It starts

"for those of you who think women can't ride" for crying out loud. It engages a fallacy on behalf of opening up mountain biking. To deny that there is resistance to the belief that girls can't ride, from both genders and all ages, is obtuse. Well developed women riders seem to forget this because they are so past it. It exists none the less. To demean a guy who is working hard to bring another female rider to the trails and is doing so successfully, without condescension, seems small.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Lutarious said:
I know men who can't ride for Shite.
I know lots of women and girls who ride just as bad...not everyone has coordination...I have a friend who can barely ride a bike down the street, let alone getting her on a trail...

women rule...but not ALL rule on a bike... :D

*but that wasn't the point to begin with...

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Troll alert?

Sorry, Formica, I can't agree with you on this. Calling this Trolling is dismissive as it dealt with almost half of the original comment which I felt was destructive of a sincere and heartfelt effort.
I am all in favor of focusing on the Portland ride aspect of the thread, however, and am hopefull for the success of the event.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
Sorry, Formica, I can't agree with you on this. Calling this Trolling is dismissive as it dealt with almost half of the original comment which I felt was destructive of a sincere and heartfelt effort.
I am all in favor of focusing on the Portland ride aspect of the thread, however, and am hopefull for the success of the event.
I just think the OP has reading comprehension problems, in regards to the original thread, kawboy's post etc.You're right, probably not trolling. Just not paying attention.

eek, did I just say a guy was right in the women's lounge? :eek: :D :eek: :D

carry on... :cool:

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Ha

formica said:
I just think the OP has reading comprehension problems, in regards to the original thread, kawboy's post etc.You're right, probably not trolling. Just not paying attention.

eek, did I just say a guy was right in the women's lounge? :eek: :D :eek: :D

carry on... :cool:
I think it's sexy when women admit they are wrong.

....Just kidding.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Team Pro Laps said:
In the spirit of on-topicness, does Mountain Bike Oregon have a Web site? The link in the first post doesn't seem to be active.
you might check the oregon board. The OP of this thread was banned for spamming; hence the dead links. Some guy named Randy posts about MTB OR all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.