1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the trail i ride on is pretyt well packed. Theres some parts that collect puddles but you can see where other people go through them from all the tires marks in the mud. The trail is pretty badass. it took about another 15 mins to do it because i didnt wanna loose traction down some of the hill lol

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Should be fine...

Shifty906 said:
I was wondering how ya'll like riding in the rain? im thinking about doing it today because its pretty wet outside.
Arkansas' soil is reasonably igneous. You should be fine riding in the rain. Have you been out on the Womble or Ouchita yet?

Ken

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope not yet. Im just doing the Cedar Glades trial right now till I get into a little better in shape. Once I can do the Cedar Glades trail without having to get off my bike for some of the hills then ill probalby do the other trails around. I've heard Womble is really good. I live in Hot Springs so its not that far away probalby like 15 miles or so. I also need to get a new bike, I went to the LBS here and seen a Raleigh hardtail bike for 245. I dont know what model it was or anything i just saw it while iw as walking out from getting a new rear axel for my good ol wally world bike lol. Something good to start off with.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Like JimC says, pick your trails wisely.

I've got a couple of choices of rock/shale trails I can ride even in torrential downpours. Others around me are clay and loose dirt that turn to poo when it's wet.

Fenders are nice. Shoe covers and water resistant gloves are bonus. A waterproof jacket and tights make it downright enjoyable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Fenders are nice. Shoe covers and water resistant gloves are bonus. A waterproof jacket and tights make it downright enjoyable.
Yea i was looking at some fenders the other day. I dont know about tights... I dont like tight stuff around my "boys" if you know what i mean. The only tight stuff ive ever worn was sliding shorts for when i played baseball and i didnt like them then either. So ill stick with my mesh shorts and tank top. I dont mind getting a little wet. I mean for god sakes we are made of 70% water, whats a few milllion rain drops going to do to ya?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Shifty906 said:
Yea i was looking at some fenders the other day. I dont know about tights... I dont like tight stuff around my "boys" if you know what i mean. The only tight stuff ive ever worn was sliding shorts for when i played baseball and i didnt like them then either. So ill stick with my mesh shorts and tank top. I dont mind getting a little wet. I mean for god sakes we are made of 70% water, whats a few milllion rain drops going to do to ya?
Those few millions rain drops will get you a cold and 1week in bed. In addtion, you will lose income for time off. You will feel like crap. Tight is good for your boys. You have to discipline them. They out of control. You don't want the boys to go singing the rain like "john Kelly" in the movie. How will the neighbor say to you? bad shifty!! There are kids in this neighborhood. have some decency :D
Seriously, you should wear water repellent clothing including tights and jacket.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Living in Oregon, I have no choice. Summers are nice and dry but consistantly nice weather sure does seem a long way off right about now.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
My first ride on my new mountain bike that I bought few months ago was in the rain. =) I was such a n00b.. went out in just jeans and a shirt hehe. It was FUN playing in the rain, mud and crossing creeks... but wasn't so much fun with I caught a cold from it and got stuff all up in my brake cables...(took the bike back to the bike shop for service and scored a free rear brake upgrade from the stock MX2 to Avid BB7, woohoo)

I just had to try out the disc brakes since I've never had discs before and was told it would perform alot better in wet conditions. It did great till dirt got into the cables and killed the rear brake.

Now I bought more gear to keep me dry so all is well. I've also learned not to let the bike submerge in water on creek crossings and I haven't had anymore problems. =)

I love it when the bike gets all muddy after the ride... and take pride in knowning that my bike and I were able to take on the elements and emerge victorious! Lug it home, clean off the mud and it's all shinny again like new... ah... the joy of mountain biking... =)

Don't worry, I'm fully aware of how bad it could be for the trails so I don't ride the ones that are sensitive. Dirt roads and jeep tracks I figure are fair game yes?

In short, riding in the rain/mud is fun! Just be sensitive to where you ride so you don't damage good trails; get gear to keep you dry and warm; carry your bike cross water more then a couple feet deep so the BB and rear hub isn't submerged.

Phil.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love it.

I love riding in the rain and mud, but most of the time it can cause serious damage to the trail, so I avoid it when at all possible. Yesterday I went out to a local trail (Veteran's Park) here in Lexington (KY) after a week worth of rain. I knew it flooded easily and would be a mess, but I hadn't been riding there yet this year, and I thought I would check it out. There was literally water FLOWING down the singletrack. It was one of the most amazing (and beautiful) things I've seen, but jumped off of the trail after about a half a mile because I didn't want to cause any damage. It was a blast riding through the water and mud, though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I do, as long as it's warm enough out for it. From my experience, the biggest problem with riding in the rain is doing damage to the trail. It's hard to find ground that's hard enough and that drains well enough so that you don't dig up the trails by riding in the rain. But if you're lucky enough to have such a trail, then go for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.