Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article in MBA: You know it is time to buy a new bike when:

#4) The guy who hand built your hardtail was inducted into the MBHOF before your father bought a dual suspension bike and passed it on to you.

-picture of a P bike and "Tom Ritchey made your bike"

#26) Its sister is on display at First Flight Bikes

#36) You are searching for a one-inch threaded headset or replacement fork.

Plus 47 more reasons!

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
First Flight said:
From the article in MBA: You know it is time to buy a new bike when:

#4) The guy who hand built your hardtail was inducted into the MBHOF before your father bought a dual suspension bike and passed it on to you.

-picture of a P bike and "Tom Ritchey made your bike"

#26) Its sister is on display at First Flight Bikes

#36) You are searching for a one-inch threaded headset or replacement fork.

Plus 47 more reasons!
That's funny - those are the criteria I START looking for in new bikes.

MBA never fails to misread their readership - the only riders still buying paper magazines are the ones who've been riding for a long time - and may still have some love for the old days.

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,466 Posts
MBA was the first MTB magazine that I saw--way back when I was in middle school and Zap was in charge--and it blew my mind. Suspension was still new and unproven, but man were there some cool bikes in there.

MBA doesn't speak to me anymore, but I give it a lot of credit for stoking the fire.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
richieb said:
MBA never fails to misread their readership - the only riders still buying paper magazines are the ones who've been riding for a long time - and may still have some love for the old days.
MBA is not oriented towards the folks that covet the older stuff....I would say they are doing fine .......cant agree more though about paper magazines though....they are on the out unfortunatley.

that is ironic in a way huh?

maybe once MBA sees the writing on the wall they will change the format and make a magazine in an old format about old bikes and the retro grouches that buy all things retro.

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Slightly off-topic.

If someone could put up a good scan of the cover with the with the yellow and blue Marin riding through the snow from 1992 (I think) I would be very grateful.

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mechagouki said:
Slightly off-topic.

If someone could put up a good scan of the cover with the with the yellow and blue Marin riding through the snow from 1992 (I think) I would be very grateful.
I always thought that was one of their better cover shots.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Williwoods said:
MBA is not oriented towards the folks that covet the older stuff....I would say they are doing fine .......cant agree more though about paper magazines though....they are on the out unfortunatley.
I dunno about that. I recall hearing or reading(can't remember which) that there are now more magazines started per year than go under. Take a look at cycling(in general here, not mtb specific):
COG
XXC
Embrocation
Momentum
Urban Velo
Bicycle Times
They've all begun printing in the past few years, and from what I understand, have had some success at doing it.

I go to the 'net for quick bits of information. That's it. I hate reading and reading on the screen. If I want an article, I'll find a couch, a cuppajoe, a magazine and get comfy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Riding next to the Hanebrink bike

mechagouki said:
Slightly off-topic.

I've got that one at home, the chick riding it has purple stonewashed lycra tights. I don't have a scanner though, I'll see what I can get though

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
~martini~ said:
I dunno about that. I recall hearing or reading(can't remember which) that there are now more magazines started per year than go under. Take a look at cycling(in general here, not mtb specific):
COG
XXC
Embrocation
Momentum
Urban Velo
Bicycle Times
They've all begun printing in the past few years, and from what I understand, have had some success at doing it.

I go to the 'net for quick bits of information. That's it. I hate reading and reading on the screen. If I want an article, I'll find a couch, a cuppajoe, a magazine and get comfy.
ok I take it back on the magazines being on the way out but the rest of my statement stands.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here's what I've got

mechagouki said:
Slightly off-topic.

I didn't remember it exactly correct, just the bike on the cover. The Marin appears 4 times I've found so far:

Attachments

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
That's great - Iguess it was a bike on long term loan to MBA - think it may have appeared in another issue too. Great pictures, feeling the nostalgia.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
Picked up my 1st issue of Mountain Bling Actors in early '03; it hyped me, since I didn't know much about the off-road world at the time. Had a couple subs off and on over the years, but I'm done with them. Content has been getting thin over the last 2-3....

Keep the old issues around, just for 'throne reading'. Same with the old Bisuckling.

I surf around to keep up with what's out there, but mostly to see what I CAN'T get anymore; o how I moan at the dis-continuance of the Dakar XLT, the Homegrown, and the Horst-linked Turner RFX.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw that too, what $hit...just like 29er and SS, it's all just the bike companies trying to spur sales. I'm sure someone has probably said this (but hey, I don't have time to read all the long winded drivel on this list, whining about Specialized and slugs) but the upside to the article is that spares will be cheap on CL when the suckers believe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.