Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mountain lion sighting-gilroy hot springs road....9:30ish about 1-2 miles before canada road towards henry coe.....was heading up to ride this morning when all out of nowhere just crossing the road eastbound was this pretty big mountain lion..just leaped into the bushes and disappeared just as quick as we saw it...was amazed at how big it was....just reminds me that i come to play in their backyard....

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
HA what are the odds, I was just there yesterday, had place 2 myself & was wondering if anyone ever saw a kitty in that area. Then I told myself not in a million yrs..

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Coyotes, bobcats, turkey, piggies (big and small), and them big hairy spiders are all I have had the pleasure to see out there.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
cohenfive said:
i'm jealous...i know they are out there where we ride, but I've never had the pleasure of seeing one.
I'd like to see one too. That said, there was a great quote here not long ago from someone who said something about what you actually feel when you are out there and do see the lion you thought you wanted to see...

I saw some lion tracks in the dust at Demo forest a few years ago, and decided I wasn't that eager to see a carnivorous animal that left paw prints that were about 5" wide. :eekster:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lucky to See 4 Mountain Lions

Saw my first one on Russian Ridge a long time ago.

Saw one cross the road at 8th and Gigling just inside Ft Ord

Then saw two at the same time at Garland Ranch way back up in the back country. Reported the sighting to the ranger who said the timing was perfect because they were paired up for mating. They both ignored us as they jumped in and out of cover. Amazing!

·
user
1,060 Posts
I have seen 2 mtn lions on trails and been present when another one was treed/relocated. 1 on power poles in LG years ago... rode right up on it and surprised both of us. The most recent was just a few days ago near the trailhead of Sierra Azul / Kennedy in LG. It looked like a cub... but still bigger than a large dog. It was about a half mile from where they treed / removed an adult mtn lion about 2.5 months ago.

I am also glad that I see so many deer in the hills around here so hopefully these cats are fat/happy and will not decide I look like lunch.

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
All the more reason to go armed. You should take a kitteh and snake knife!

just sayin

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
Jim Ryan said:
This just happened this morning...

Anna from MORCA was climbing up the Grind and spotted this...

What is that? Can't tell.

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
You're kidding, right?
My guess and fear is that it is a mountain lion, but I'm not quite sure. It's not like I have ever seen one in person before or anything.

So no, I'm not kidding.

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
Ok, so I went to the MORCA sight, to get the update, and even there they say it "appears" to be a mountain lion, so it sounds like they aren't so sure either.

I think my question was fair, especialy since the grass is so high around it and you can't see the entire animal. And as I said before, I have never seen one in person and thought their color was a little different from that.

If it's a mountain lion in Ft. Ord, that sucks!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That's obviously a bobcat. No chance of it being a mountain lion unless it's a baby.

A mountain lion would step over that bobcat and not brush its belly.

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Tree stump? Camper in a bear mask taking a deuce?

I've come across a bear so kind of looks like one if I squint real hard.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
i was in briones earlier this week on the ridge after just failing to clear the one nasty little
climb that gives me fits and saw something sauntering down the trail in the distance. i knew from the way it was moving that it was some kind of cat but thought it most likely was a bobcat. boy was i surprised to see this.....:)

Attachments

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Lol What Did You Do?!?!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts