Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking to buy my first bike in a long time and have a solid connection at a Marin dealer so I'm looking at the Mount Vision 5.7 but there's a distinct lack of anyone talking about this bike or Marin's in general. Anyone have any opinions?

Other bikes I'm considering are Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Trek Fuel Ex 7 or 8 or possibly, if I can con the wife enough, a Yeti ASR5 alloy

My budget would like to stay closer to 2k than 3k and being from Canada nobody has any qualms about gouging us on the price even if our dollar is basically at parity.

I'm going to be doing XC riding with some more experienced riders mostly in Manitoba which is notoriously flat but I don't want to limit myself on trips to the West coast and can't afford 2 bikes.

Any advice would be great. I'm leaning to the Marin since I can get far away the best deal on it in terms of variance from MSRP

·
Registered
125 Posts
i was just shopping for a frame- and I also noticed a lack of interest in Marin on this site. I cannot explain. I hadnt heard anything bad about their suspension design, it actually think it looks great. I decided against marin because they dont offer anything in shorter travel/light weight.

i realize that my response is worth like .01.

·
Ride it 'til it breaks
122 Posts
My friend and I rented a pair of Marin Mount Vision 5.8's at Downieville this fall. They were really nice bikes and she liked it so much she ended up buying the one she rode. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it's really hard to adjust the propedal knob on the RP23 shock (the 1/2/3 firmness setting, not the on/off lever) because it is inside the quad link. And I wouldn't ever stick my hand in there while riding to turn propedal on/off.

I ended up buying the yeti 575 I rented the day after because it just "felt right." Get on all the bikes on your list and one will probably stand out. If not, then go with the best deal!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies,
The tip to check out the UK site helped, they had a few more recent reviews there. Kind of hesistant to take reviews from 07/08 as technology changes

Unfortuneately we have no real yeti dealers in Winnipeg, just my buddy who set himself up as one so he could buy a 575 so that would be a purchase sightt unseen. I could try the 575 though.

I think my dreams of a 2k budget are down the toilet, every MSRP here is at least $500 or more over the U.S. MSRP. I don't understand why a dollar 5% under requires 20% inflation maybe a scientest could answer that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.