Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which place has more XC or beginner DH style riding?

I've ridden and raced at Killington (24hr race last year) and it was great. Is Mount Snow better?

I'm a mediocre sport class racer and will probably ride a 4" FS 29er with 6" rotors...

DH is fun, but looking to clock some XC training miles...and don't want to bring 2nd AM bike... so, that's why i'm saying beginner XC (like Killington's trails).

Thanks

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I would say Killington has way more XC type riding that can be accessed from the lift (or by climbing.of course :thumbsup: )

Mt. Snow does have a separate XC area, not connected to the lift-served riding. It's down the road to the south a mile or so. I've never tried it.

If you're going to Killington, and want XC riding, you've gotta check out Pine Hill Park in Rutland, 20 minutes away. Another map, and directions.

Jim

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Jim.

Looks like i'm going to Mt Snow anyway, there's tennis there for the missus.

Which bike would be better at Mt Snow:

6" travel 26er (beefier build, around 35lbs)
4" travel 29er (XC race build, around 27 lbs)

I'd rather stick with my 29er, since i'm still getting used to it (it's new). But, I don't want to bring the wrong bike.

Can I get away with the 29er on some of the lift access DH (ie are there a few trails like those at Killington)?

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I'm not a DH or FR guy myself, but I'd say most of the lift served trails are geared toward that sort of riding. But you can certainly ride your 4" 29er on most stuff there, you just have to pick your way through the gnar sections rather than charging it. I ride a 4" XC full susp. 26", and I had a good time there a few weeks ago; just a couple spots I where I got off and walked :yikes: The 29er should roll through the lumps better than my FSR.

That said, the 6" bike sure would be fun there too. Tough call.

Jim

·
horseman
355 Posts
which bike

Hey there! I live and ride here at Mt Snow. WHile I do mostly trail riding around the area and just go up to the mountain occasionally, I still "get around" on my 4" XC dually race rig just fine. The only time going downhill at Mt Snow, XC course or not, that fells less life threatening is on a big hit rig. But, head up there this weekend and you'll see the best ripping up the XC on shorter travel rigs and making it look easy. That being said, I rode the same version of my "race rig" in a 29" version and seriously considered that as a better rig for this area. I would wager that the 29er will be alot of fun around here, especially if you're planning on pedaling up some of these hills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.