Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I haven't ridden it but have read descriptions here from time to time indicating that it is rideable until near the summit when it becomes a scramble. Incidentally, it's one of the TNF non-motorized trails now open to Class 1 e-bikes.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I ride it annually. I love it. The LAnd Trust I work for owns the meadow and a portion of the canyon. Despite what I just said about loving it, I probably would never ride it if I didn't have a work obligation. It takes a short hour from Truckee to get parked. Then it's an out and back, stiff climb then a brake smoker. It helps to climb the fire road until you get to the meadow, then get on the trail. Since the drive is so long I bring a fishing rod to make a day of things. If you like the 'there's no school like the old school' kind of trails, you'll dig it. Funny, was just thinking of heading up there now as I have a road project up near the meadow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! It's not too far from me and I spend a lot of time in sierra valley for work, so guess I'll have to check it out. I'm a fan of brake burner old school descents. Is it just steep in loose moto style? Or rocky/technical?

·
Registered
482 Posts

This was the summit a few weeks ago... it's the highest peak on the north side of the lake so the shadow part of Cold Creek was all bike a bike but it is a cool trail and area if you like backcountry style trails and don't mind some snow and hiking. Can be a loop too! But some things have changed since last fall, the bridge across the creek crossing about 2 miles up is gone and the road right after the creek has been "restored" (covered with logs and dirt). The singletrack is in good shape but did have some trees across when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
I was going to chime in that there was probably still some snow but it looks like there is still plenty of snow. The first half mile from the summit headed west is super loose chunk but then it turns into a nice backcountry trail. Gets really good as it goes around the south side of White Rock Lake.
Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Plant community Tree

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.