Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday, a friend and I were coming down the Motorway and got pasted up by a couple of dirt bikes (motorized). I reported the incident to the CNF office. The Trails Manager told me I could report violations like this, to Forest Dispatch at 1-619-557-5262. She said they'd answer the phone with "Monte Vista", but it is the correct number to call and report violations. I know others here have seen dirt bikes on this trail. The trail has enough broken up rock without these guys making it worse. When you see motorcycles, call in a report so CNF knows there is a problem up there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So were you the hall monitor in school?

Whiney people. This is my trail, I’m the only one that can use it...wa wa wa.

Dude that trail is loose and rocky, dirt bikes are not going to make it any worse. It is freaking dirt! Seriously, you are complaining about breaking rocks!?!?! Come on!

Just remember complain about dirt bikes all you want. MTBS are a close second on the list to get blackballed

Quit being a tattletale.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'll side with Floater on this one

I put the number in my cell phone and I will use it when the time comes. Call me a whiney, tattletale, hall monitor all you want but I'll still do anything I can to keep motorized use off the hiking and biking trails. The good part is that on this one, the law is on my side.
There has been some motorcyle activity in El Moro recently and I am working with the park rangers to get the gates repaired to put a stop to it.

Anyone who believes that dirt/rock trails cannot be damaged by a throttle jockey is simply ignorant.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
desert kid said:
So were you the hall monitor in school?

Whiney people. This is my trail, I'm the only one that can use it...wa wa wa.

Dude that trail is loose and rocky, dirt bikes are not going to make it any worse. It is freaking dirt! Seriously, you are complaining about breaking rocks!?!?! Come on!

Just remember complain about dirt bikes all you want. MTBS are a close second on the list to get blackballed

Quit being a tattletale.
dear desert kid,

has the Metal Mullisha accepted your nomination yet?

FYI: the hall monitors keep everyone more safe.

the trail is marked for hikers and cyclists. the guys on dirt-harleys need to read the signs and stay on the trails indicated for them to keep people safe: aka alive

everyone else...how do you get your phone to work out there in the canyon?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I don't think my phone works at the bottom of the Maple Springs, but it probably does at the top, and otherwise probably once you get down by the restaurants/post office there should be phone service.

I think it's probably really dangerous for dirt bikes to be on Motorway. Everytime I descend it there have been at least 2-6 hikers on the trail, and there isn't a lot of extra space for passing as it is, much less when there's a dirt bike moving really fast down the hill. It's somewhat difficult (for me) to control my 23lbs mountain bike descending that. Granted the dirt bike may have better brakes and more suspension, but it's also a lot heavier.

Thanks for the heads up on the phone #. I'll keep it as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's hit and miss in the mountains where you get phone service. But I can usually get service by the time I get down Silverado Canyon to the community center, and definitely by the church.

·
----woof----
196 Posts
Probably the same two guys that passed us headed towards the Motorway. Actually saw their motorcycles parked inside the barrier as we exited onto Maple Springs.

Personally I don't have a problem with multi-user trails as long as they're respectful of others. Unfortunately, there are those few (mtb or motorcycle) that ban access for the rest of us to trails through reckless or inconsiderate riding.

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
The only motorized vehicles I saw all day on my ride were two dirt bikers at the top of the rugged trail that runs up past four corners. This was after climbing Harding to Motorway and back up MS. Since I hadn't seen any all day until then I figured the trail was closed to motorized vehicles due to the high winds. Plus, the gate at 4 corners was closed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was there Saturday, and saw two motorcycle riders come flying off Motorway onto Maple Springs, right after we had descended. We thought it was funny that Mr Ranger had been busy handing out parking tickets for cars with out "Adventure Passes" at the trail head for Maple Springs, but nowhere to be seen when folks are breaking real laws.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't think it would be a bad idea to get a collaborative effort going with several of the local groups to put an end to this. Creating stronger, concrete and steel reinforced barriers at the trailheads would make it very difficult for the morons who break them down to do so without some heavy equipment.

BTW Desert Kid, the US Forest service did a study several years ago in Marin County to determine the environmental impact of trail use and found that non-skidding mountain biking was only marginally more damaging to the trail than hiking. Later in that same study, they found that two motorcycles with knobby tires could cause much more damage to a trail in one run than several hundred mountain bikers could cause to the same trail during a weekend long event. In other words, your notions of what does and does not hurt the trails are completely unfounded and 100% wrong.

·
Registered
278 Posts
CranxOC said:
I don't think it would be a bad idea to get a collaborative effort going with several of the local groups to put an end to this. Creating stronger, concrete and steel reinforced barriers at the trailheads would make it very difficult for the morons who break them down to do so without some heavy equipment.

I agree that strong barriers should be in place but if they (motorcycle riders) are determined to get on the trail, most barriers would just be viewed as an inconvience. In most cases they can bushwhack their way around them. I think the idea behind the barrier is to send a clear message that the trail is closed to motorized use. This is only works when the off roadie guy is a responsible rider. The Forest Service just needs to make sure that there could be no mistake about whether the trail was open or not.

I just learned that the Newport Beach chopper spotted our El Moro throttle jocky but, unfortuantely, it was just after the last rain and it was impossible to get a ranger in there on the ground to nail him. Now it's just a matter of time before he gets caught.

·
Mmmmmm Beer!
617 Posts
If they want in they will get in. About 25 years ago I had a dirt bike that was street legal and me and some friends rode up to Silverado and the gate was closed. We found a board and propped it up on the forest gate and with a running start we were in. I know it was wrong but it was fun. Today I would never do that. And besides. I don't have a motorcycle any more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One, lets define trail damage....its moving dirt! Yes motorcycles move more dirt than bikes. But I missed the part where thou shalt not move dirt. I think it is just lame and it is the same reason bikes a kept of certain trails. IT IS FRAKING MOVING DIRT!!!! Come on people. It is a man cut trail, it is based on moved dirt.

Second, I think it is just lame that you guys just want to conspire to give someone that shaft. I wouldnt want a ticket or to get my 5K dirt bike taken away. I am sure you dont want everyone ready to call the cps every time you make an illegal lane change or pull a California roll at a stop sign.

As long as you get what you want forget about anyone else. That trail is just as much theirs as it is yours.

Seriously, take a step back, quit being so freaking self righteous, and you might just see that this sport is really hypocritical when it comes to acess.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
desert kid said:
One, lets define trail damage....its moving dirt! Yes motorcycles move more dirt than bikes. But I missed the part where thou shalt not move dirt. I think it is just lame and it is the same reason bikes a kept of certain trails. IT IS FRAKING MOVING DIRT!!!! Come on people. It is a man cut trail, it is based on moved dirt.

Second, I think it is just lame that you guys just want to conspire to give someone that shaft. I wouldnt want a ticket or to get my 5K dirt bike taken away. I am sure you dont want everyone ready to call the cps every time you make an illegal lane change or pull a California roll at a stop sign.

As long as you get what you want forget about anyone else. That trail is just as much theirs as it is yours.

Seriously, take a step back, quit being so freaking self righteous, and you might just see that this sport is really hypocritical when it comes to acess.
The point is, you tool, that they're not supposed to be there.So it doesn't have anything to do with "thou shalt not move dirt", simply thall shall not be where thou aren't allowed to be.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, I really hope every time you tread on a piece of trail that is not bike legal that there is a hiker sitting there with a cell phone ready to get you a ticket and your bike taken away.

It's us good them bad.

It is weak to activate the phone tree just to get someone busted and get them that shaft as hard as possible.

Karma, I sure dont want people ready to shaft me every time I do something that is against the rules.

Teacher oh oh oh oh ...they arnt sposed to be here.

I hope you get what you are dishing

·
Registered
38 Posts
You just don't get it do you desert Kid.

Certain trails are off limits to Hikers.
Certain trails are off limits to Bicycles.
Certain trails are off limits to Motorcycles.
Certain trails are off limits to Horses.

For a reason.

If I were to get caught poaching trail, then I would expect to pay the consequences. That's why I don't do it and respect the rules.
You don't want to get shafted then don't break the rules.

And, if you new anything about properly designed/built trail you'd know that most users aren't going to damage it.
If dirt is moving around on the trail, then it is improperly designed or has been damaged by users.
Get over it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.