Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last year or so I have been enjoying some of the ‘lesser known’ MTB trails in Big River and have not ridden some of the old favorite loops in a long time. For a change, this weekend I parked off exit 6 (Rt. 3) and rode down Burnt Sawmill past where the old boat used to be parked and took the first trail right and followed it all the way to the back of the BR. Having not been out that way in a while, it was very clear from the start what kind of damage has occurred from all the dirt bike use in this area. I do not believe this was caused by the Legal Enduro that was held last weekend. Anyone who rides BR enough has seen the culprits. I am referring to the KTM riding guys (I came across them twice on Sunday). It is the same guys week after week. I can understand their plight, as there is NO Legal dirt bike riding in RI. What I cannot understand is why they must roost up all the main connectors and multi use trails turning them into sand pits. It’s not like they do not have their ‘own’ illegal trail networks out there (which seem to grow all the time). It is a shame the MTB crowd must resort to trying to hide their favorite trails in an effort to save them. So my question to anyone who may know is this: Has anyone talked to the KTM guys and tried to come to some sort of understanding about trail use. Has anyone reported their activity to the appropriate authorities? Feel free to discuss the options…..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not trying to be a wise-ass or anything, but when did it become "legal" for any riding in Big River ????? Last thing I knew, It is private property, controlled by the Big River Water Authority and NO RIDING IS ALLOWED, Motorcycle, Mountain Bike, ATV. Unless things have changed, the water authority chooses to ignore everything until someone gets injured or killed AGAIN and they once again find themselves faced with litigation.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real Geezer said:
Not trying to be a wise-ass or anything, but when did it become "legal" for any riding in Big River ????? Last thing I knew, It is private property, controlled by the Big River Water Authority and NO RIDING IS ALLOWED, Motorcycle, Mountain Bike, ATV. Unless things have changed, the water authority chooses to ignore everything until someone gets injured or killed AGAIN and they once again find themselves faced with litigation.
I checked into it a bit and came up with this...

May I suggest you check this link: http://www.wrb.state.ri.us/lawsregs/BRMA_Policies.pdf

Here are a few excerpts…

"In 1993, the RI General Assembly passed legislation declaring the Big River Management Area as "Open Space," to be utilized and enjoyed by residents of the State of Rhode Island. To this end, several civic groups engage in activities ranging from sports, hiking, canoeing, military training and other recreational activities."

"POLICY CONCERNING USE OF THE BIG RIVER MANAGEMENT AREA
Consistent with the General Assembly designation of the Big River Management Area as open space to be utilized and enjoyed by residents of the State of Rhode Island, the Water Resources Board may allow individual and organized recreational and training activities within the area. Groups and/or organizations interested in conducting such activities must submit a Big River Management Area Land Use Request Form to the Board thirty (30) days prior to the activity date. The Board requires verification of general liability insurance coverage in an amount determined by the Board and/or reserves the right to require additional information it deems necessary. Individual activities which do not require Board approval include, but are not limited to, hunting, fishing, hiking, canoeing of Big River and horseback riding. Activities that are forbidden include swimming, trapping, camping, off-road biking, clear-cutting, firewood cutting and canoeing on ponds. Fuel, electric motors and all terrain vehicles are forbidden in the Big River Management Area. The Board will seek the assistance of local and state law enforcement agencies in the removal/detainment of persons found engaging in unauthorized activities within the Big River Management Area. The Board cannot be held liable for any injuries sustained during voluntary recreational use of the Big River Management Area."

From the sounds of this, as long as we keep our bikes 'on the roads' we are in compliance.:rolleyes: But still NO MOTORS ALLOWED!;)

The reason I posted any of this is not necessarily to stir the pot, but to see if anyone ever approached the' KTM bunch' in order to come to some agreement between user groups. I really do not care to debate the legality of anyone's usage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I MTB BR twice a week.

Most of the older "trails" were roads that became overgrown or trails that were oringinally made by Dirtbikes. Until the "hidden" trails were made IMO there were no really good MTB trails and I always found and rode the newly made MX trails because it was the only thing close to real single track.

Wasn't the # 9 trail made by MX and now is found on the BR map you can buy at any local shop?

If I lived anywhere near or around the surrounding property wether it be legal or illegal I'd ride MX there all the time. I believe in sharing, not so much of sharing the same trails but there is enough room for everyone.I think it really SUCKS you can't MX anywhere in RI. Look at the dune areas alone. The sun and the moon with a paddle tire would be "off the F-en Hook".

So maybe I'll sneak in there and throw a big roost your way some time soon.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
butters-lsd said:
I MTB BR twice a week.

Most of the older "trails" were roads that became overgrown or trails that were oringinally made by Dirtbikes. Until the "hidden" trails were made IMO there were no really good MTB trails and I always found and rode the newly made MX trails because it was the only thing close to real single track.

Wasn't the # 9 trail made by MX and now is found on the BR map you can buy at any local shop?

If I lived anywhere near or around the surrounding property wether it be legal or illegal I'd ride MX there all the time. I believe in sharing, not so much of sharing the same trails but there is enough room for everyone.I think it really SUCKS you can't MX anywhere in RI. Look at the dune areas alone. The sun and the moon with a paddle tire would be "off the F-en Hook".

So maybe I'll sneak in there and throw a big roost your way some time soon.:thumbsup:
It really does suck that ct and ri have nowhere to ride mx or quads. The dunes you to be open until someone died or something. Some idiot always ruins the fun for everyone.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
butters-lsd said:
I believe in sharing, not so much of sharing the same trails but there is enough room for everyone.QUOTE]

You are making my point:thumbsup:

butters-lsd said:
If I lived anywhere near or around the surrounding property wether it be legal or illegal I'd ride MX there all the time.QUOTE]

Do not get me wrong, I am not hating on the MX crowd. I would probably ride there too if I lived near by. Just with a bit more consideration for others.;)

·
bike dork
371 Posts
If you do it just be careful, DEM/Forestry etc.. are all actively going after poachers from what my contacts in those agencies tell me. Apparently they now have quads and bikes too. Not sure what the fine is but it's higher than it used to be. Personally I don't have an issue with motos, just irresponsible jerks on ATVs.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
...of any type

mtbdee said:
Personally I don't have an issue with motos, just irresponsible jerks on ATVs.
Personally I only have issues with irresponsible jerks (IJ) in any form. That said, I think its hard to not be an irresponsible jerk on an ATV because of the width of the things and the fact that the rear axle is solid - meaning a spinning rear wheel is mandatory during turns.

I've seen my share of IJs on MXers and MTBers as well, unfortunately.

John

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mtbdee said:
If you do it just be careful, DEM/Forestry etc.. are all actively going after poachers from what my contacts in those agencies tell me. Apparently they now have quads and bikes too. Not sure what the fine is but it's higher than it used to be. Personally I don't have an issue with motos, just irresponsible jerks on ATVs.
Just to be clear, would your definition of 'poachers' include MTB's??

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you go up north on designated atv trails you will see that 90% of the trails have no ruts, berms or damage other than what is caused naturally. They respect the trails. Around here there's nowhere to ride legally, so people ride like idiots in rebellion. I live about a mile from the mx trails in the pachaug state forest and ride there weekly and those trails are in good shape too besides the occasionally idiot pulling a u-turn on a 5' wide roar and making a 4" deep rut. If we aren't allowed to ride somewhere, then why would most people care about tearing it up? The lack of trails for mx and atv in our area is partially the cause of the problem if you ask me.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Sadly. Yes.

Everyone forgets that Big River had no trials until the Mx's and now the MTB's created them.

We can also now be considered illegal trail builders. (ie "hidden trails").

I hate to say it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rez said:

Sadly. Yes.

Everyone forgets that Big River had no trials until the Mx's and now the MTB's created them.

We can also now be considered illegal trail builders. (ie "hidden trails").

I hate to say it.
Rez,

I understand it is illegal to "off" road bike in BR. But from some other discussions I have had, it is my understanding that the authority's are not necessarily targeting MTB's during their patrols, but mostly looking for those with motors. This may have something to do with the fact that we are legit if found ON the roads, where MX's have no legit reason to be there at all. I was just wondering if that was truly the case. Building trails is a whole other issue...

·
Registered
350 Posts
From what I can remember MX's were banned from the RI "desert" about 20 years ago. Basically this was before quads. I kid killing himself on a three wheeler and then someone tried to sue the state. They tried issuing DEM tags to MX's but no one bought them.

I have and will always hate quads. **** some of the quads are as big as my truck.

But it needs to be understood that the MX's created 90% of the single track around here and there are other places were the two work together. If we would work together, as they do else where and close trails as they get worn out. The MX's would be a great help in re-routing the trails.

Well it doesn't mean anything because motorized traffic is illegal.

On a different note:
If we think the DEM is going to catch someone and do something about. Yeah that may happen. They are only able to give fines. Most MX's accept that as a payment to use the trails. I have yet to see someone get there machine taken away. Hell I live down the road from the Acradia head quarters as well as a half a dozen MX's. They have yet to do anything. The MX's ride right down Arcadia Road, in front of the head quarters to get to the trails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.