1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) & 2) tire rubs from Weirwolf 2.1
3) narrow and wide swingarms
4) & 5) new swingarm, still with WW 2.1

I'll put on the new tire later, but that should give everybody an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
zorg said:
1) & 2) tire rubs from Weirwolf 2.1
3) narrow and wide swingarms
4) & 5) new swingarm, still with WW 2.1

I'll put on the new tire later, but that should give everybody an idea.
Interesting, I ran a Weirwolf 2.1 on my Hammerhead for a while with no problems. Not a ton of extra room, but certainly no rubbing. I know tire width will vary a bit depending on the width of the rim it is mounted on, but this still seems to indicate that the Moto Lite has less tire clearance than the HH/RX.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks ZORG

Thanks for the pics ZORG!
Could you post a pic of the clearance on the SEATSTAY arch with your new tires on the bike? Been wondering if the next generation Moto-Lite will feature re-designed seatstay arch/bridge with more tire clearance?
Great bike!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Zorg, I ran into a "minor" problem with using an innertube as a chainstay protector. Water got into there then slowly etched away at the stay. When I took off the tube, i was surprised in some areas how bad it looked. Took quite a bit of light sanding to remove.

I'd suggest putting a coat of clear on beneath the tube.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heatstroke said:
Zorg, I ran into a "minor" problem with using an innertube as a chainstay protector. Water got into there then slowly etched away at the stay. When I took off the tube, i was surprised in some areas how bad it looked. Took quite a bit of light sanding to remove.

Thanks for the suggestion. Where should I get it?

As for the tire rubbing, I need to disclose that I used for 1 ride a 2.2 Bontrager tire, although I doubt that it would have that much rubbing. Furthermore, I've been riding that puppy since mid January, so it has seen quite a bit of mud already which could explain the rubbing, probably more so than the tire/wheel flexing and rubbing.

·
Registered
907 Posts
heatstroke said:

I'd actually just get rid of the innertube. Since Zorg is running an X9 rear derailleur (which won't smack against the stay like a Shimano derailleur), there is no need to have a thick piece of rubber on there. Hockey stick tape will work fine for protecting the stay. Not to mention that it will weigh less, look better, and not trap moisture.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
goatman said:
Thanks for the pics ZORG!
Could you post a pic of the clearance on the SEATSTAY arch with your new tires on the bike? Been wondering if the next generation Moto-Lite will feature re-designed seatstay arch/bridge with more tire clearance?
Great bike!
I will after I put on the Motoraptor 2.24 on the rear. I was looking at it last night, and I'd ballpark the clearance as good enough for a 2.3 or so. My uneducated guess is that there is probably no need for redesigning the seatstay.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VT Mike said:
I'd actually just get rid of the innertube. Since Zorg is running an X9 rear derailleur (which won't smack against the stay like a Shimano derailleur), there is no need to have a thick piece of rubber on there. Hockey stick tape will work fine for protecting the stay. Not to mention that it will weigh less, look better, and not trap moisture.
Sounds like an easy enough solution.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
The RX chainstay, where the tire would rub, is 6 or 7mm wider than the ML, as measured by my vernier calipers.

Zorg, how is the clearance on the seatstay bridge? Can you take a pic of that with your large tire?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rensho said:
The RX chainstay, where the tire would rub, is 6 or 7mm wider than the ML, as measured by my vernier calipers.

Zorg, how is the clearance on the seatstay bridge? Can you take a pic of that with your large tire?
I will (see previous answer above :) ). It's probably good enough for a 2.3 though.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Rode the ML with a 2.24 rear Motoraptor at about 30psi, and it really helped when climbing the technical stuff today. I'm quite happy with the new set up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.