Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies up front if this has been covered. Pro'ly has been...

So I was just cruising around the forum checkin out other folks rides. And I noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of variance in the pressure people are running in their Fox RPsomething-or-others. For example, I run 130psi in my RP23 on my large ML. I weigh 160 ready to ride. Enduro recently posted in the MotoLite Set-up Database thread that he runs 110psi in his RP23 on his Med. ML and he weighs in at 180lbs. (I'm assuming we're both going for the Titus recommended amount of sag.)

Why would there be a 20lb difference mine being the lower of the two and I weigh less? I understand that there's going to be some variance between the shox. Not every one is exactly the same with manufacturing tolerances etc.

simp

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
110 psi at 180 lbs seems very low :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: . I also have 2 gauges that are 5 psi different as well.

From what people have typically posted, I think the usual pressure (psi) to mass (lbs) ratio is usually around 77% to 82% on 2" stroke motolite's.

I use a bit more in my rear because my fork is tall and shifts more weight to the rear. Changing from a fork height of 508mm to around 534mm, I increased pressure 5 psi.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Mountain said:
110 psi at 180 lbs seems very low :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: .
Yeah, that's what I was thinkin too. Seems like you'd blow through the travel with that low a psi.

FWIW I just got my shock back from Fox today. Took the hunk-a, hunk-a wood out.... Still no riding for me though...:mad:

cheers,
simp

·
Registered
58 Posts
160 Psi

I just got my ML the other day and studied the CD. After about 5 attempts to get the sag "by the book" it turned out to be around 160 PSI. I sat on it a couple of times after that and the sag still measures out good. I have a small ML and I am 190 lbs.

Jason

·
parts leftover
997 Posts
simplton said:
For example, I run 130psi in my RP23 on my large ML. I weigh 160 ready to ride. Enduro recently posted in the MotoLite Set-up Database thread that he runs 110psi in his RP23 on his Med. ML and he weighs in at 180lbs. (I'm assuming we're both going for the Titus recommended amount of sag.)
simp
I run 100psi in the RP23 on my RacerX for 12-13mm of sag at 170lbs. Going by the Fox book for setting sag resulted in way too stiff of a ride. I never went through more than 2/3 of the travel. The right pressure improved the ride dramatically. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fox RP23 psi on Med Motolite

So, I see that the original post referenced the psi I was running on med ML.

I have since increased it to 120psi with 27% sag. I prefer a plush ride. My initial setup was just that, an initial setup, but after hitting the trail a couple of times I have made some changes. I'm still experimenting. I need to get use to the firmness of the ML w/ RP23 vs the plushness of my Enduro Pro w/ DHX Air.

-enduro

·
Registered
97 Posts
On my ML RP23 I fill in 140psi, consider I lose about 10psi when detaching the pump.
Sag is slightly less than 25%.
At 160Lbs with gear, dropping off 3 footers I manage to bottom out the RP23 with less than 140psi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.