Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I bought a Motolite last year and it's been a fantastic bike. However, when I was cleaning it after yesterday's ride I noticed that the cable routing was causing damage to the frame (see photos). Has anyone else had this problem and how do you stop it from happening? I have contacted the dealer I bought it from and will be taking it in next weekend, but I thought I would see if any of you folks have had the same problem and what the solution is.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

·
sit! stay!
1,124 Posts
whoa...

i was gonna say a little electrical tape strategically placed usually does the trick... but it the wear on the pivot thingy may suggest the cable or brake hose is a tad long???

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dog said:
whoa...

i was gonna say a little electrical tape strategically placed usually does the trick... but it the wear on the pivot thingy may suggest the cable or brake hose is a tad long???
I suspect something like that may be the solution, but I'm now worried that the linkage and the weld may have been weakened by the damage. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wddamf said:
The weld looks to be OK - as long as the hose hasn't dug into the base metal of the frame tubes, you're OK. The pivot linkage is probably OK as well as the metal loss isn't at a stress concentration point.
You're probably right, I do want to prevent it from getting any worse though and it's not the sort of place you can put duct tape or something similar.

·
Registered
452 Posts
you might want to get rid of the zip tie holding the cable and hose together -- that way they will flex independently. Also, like others said look in the shortening the cable or hose.
I know my cable/hose hit some of the surrounding frame or rocker when the suspension is really compressed -- but I have never seen any wear like that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow, that's some of the worst I've seen. We all know the routing is not the best in the world, but do a search and you'll find how most of us are running our cables. Like others have said, I think you are fine regarding integrity. As tight as possible gives some good results.

Also, pick some of these up:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL707I01-Park+Gp-2C+Glueless+Patch+Kit.aspx
They are awesome. Place them wherever you have cable rub, or think you may get it. You can barely see them, and they really work well. Much better than anything I've tried. But they are a b!tch to get off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Put the bike in a bike stand, release the air from the rear shock, and remove one of the shock mounting bolts. Then you can cycle the rear suspension through its full range of travel. Look to see how the cables are moving when you do this and add/remove zip ties appropriately to eliminate the cable rub.

Jagwire makes some rubber "sleeves" that fit over the cable housing that will eliminate the enevitable minor rubbing - I can't remembere exactly what they're called - but that could help as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jagwire makes two versions of those things - the one pictured is solid and you have to slide it over the housing from one end - meanding you have to take your cables apart. The one I'm referring to is larger, shaped like an hour-glass (larger diameter at each end), and is slit down the middle so it can be slipped around the housing w/o disconnecting the cables. It's mo' bettah!

·
Registered
31 Posts
looks very scary.

just got my ML2 with carbon rockers.... if the cables could eat into aluminum, i think for carbon, it will be more easy.

I checked the tension from the 2 shifter cables that need to run below the toptube through the rockers, it is not easy to bend them (i guess we need the tension in order to shift perfectly), therefore, is putting a protective sticker or these jagwire top tubes the only solution to the problem?

btw, i checked my fren motolite (less than 1 year old), the cable rubbing is also starting to eat into his frame, but still quite minor...

question: that's the only way to run the cables through the rocker?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Hi folks,

I contacted the dealer where I bought my Motolite from last July and took it in. They contacted the importers and have fitted a brand new linkage...wooooohoooooo.

Also, they told me that they are no longer running the cables as Titus suggest ( as was the case with mine) and instead run the rear cable/hose outside of the frame - they are replacing the worn cable and outer for free and re-routing them too. What a great bike shop they are: Thanks to Nirvana cycles, just outside of Dorking, England.

I may have to buy something in there when I go and pick it up tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
20,745 Posts
mikey74 said:
Hi folks,

I contacted the dealer where I bought my Motolite from last July and took it in. They contacted the importers and have fitted a brand new linkage...wooooohoooooo.

Also, they told me that they are no longer running the cables as Titus suggest ( as was the case with mine) and instead run the rear cable/hose outside of the frame - they are replacing the worn cable and outer for free and re-routing them too. What a great bike shop they are: Thanks to Nirvana cycles, just outside of Dorking, England.

I may have to buy something in there when I go and pick it up tomorrow.
That sounds great... it seems like Nirvana just got themselves a new loyal customer ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.