Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,ve heard / read a lot that Motolite is not really good in descending rough terrain, is it true? Anything you can do (aside from improving your skills), say set-up changes? thanks

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
roel said:
I,ve heard / read a lot that Motolite is not really good in descending rough terrain, is it true? Anything you can do (aside from improving your skills), say set-up changes? thanks
from what i read from folks who made such comments was that they felt like the rear bounced around a little too much???

anyway, i never thought the ML had any issues descending, but maybe that's because my expectation is that i'm on an an XC/trail bike and not a downhill bike?

anyway, i guess you could try more sag or getting the shock PUSHed... or, maybe if you're using a fork that doesn't balance well with the shock you could try a different fork?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I would not say that at all. The ML is a great descender. I demoed a Blur LT, a Giant and a dw linked Iron Horse before I bought the ML and honestly they all were great descenders. The difference was in those technical granny gear climbs were the ML was the best.

The other bikes I tested were better with sharp single hits - things like single big rock or a log. I recently had my RP23 Pushed and it is much better with these obstacles but still not as good as the Giant.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Of course skill is far and away the most important factor. That being said, I have a much harder time on aggressive descents and features compared to my other bike, which is about 3-4 lbs heavier.

For me, the MotoLite is more fun in less aggressive, fast, swoopy singletrack with smalll jumps. The same trail that can seem boring on an over-built bike can be really fun on my Titus. I also think the MotoLite would be a very good option for XC races. It can be built very light, and pedals extremely well.

If descents are your primary concern, the El Guapo would be a better choice.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,727 Posts
My Motolite felt like a great descender compared my 99 Stumpjumper. Of course, it pales compared to my El Guapo. Overall, it's a very balanced package slightly more on the XC side of things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zorg said:
My Motolite felt like a great descender compared my 99 Stumpjumper. Of course, it pales compared to my El Guapo. Overall, it's a very balanced package slightly more on the XC side of things.
Thanks for all the replies. This will be my first and all around bike as i cant afford to have more. I ride from XC to really aggressive trail / AM type of riding ,so the bike should handle both the lung busting climbs to nasty downhill terrains. (of course i know ML cant be the best bike for all, thats why theres el guapo:) ) Im just worried it cant handle well rough descents.....fast.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Concur

I rode a HL 5-Spot for three years and loved it but made the swap to a ML II in an effort to reduce weight and speed up the ride. The ML out climbed the Spot and was significantly faster on smooth descents and single-track. BUT, I just about killed myself on technical rough downs. I had never crashed harder in my life.

In an effort to soften up the rear, I got a HV chamber for my RP23 and ran 35% sag. Swapping out the air chamber helped a little, but not enough. The only solution was body position and choosing the right line. While I could just point the Spot and go, I had to be more judicious with the ML.

Eventually I had to swap it out for an EG as a safety measure. I would say that you could adjust your riding style to the ML and tackle technical downs with ease. But I would take it easy at first until you can adjust your weight / riding style appropriately for the ML.

BTW: While I have taken a 5 lb weight penalty with the EG and new fork; it rides like a dream. It climbs just as well as the ML but descends over tech 100% better.

·
Registered
368 Posts
roel said:
The ML is more on the XC side of the 5 inch category. It will not descend as well as a Spot. But is more capable than a 4 inch XC bike. Of course, it will climb better than the Spot who is more closer to the AM side of the 5 inch category.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
SEA_MTBR said:
Eventually I had to swap it out for an EG as a safety measure.
Sounds pretty much like AM's experience... He was on a ML, almost killed himself, then he went onto a Knolly Endorphin and almost killed himself again. :D

My SB is not the same, but is the closest bike around... and I almost killed myself until I made some tweaks. I reduced fork length some 10mm, reduced stem length 15mm and widened the bars some more. Now it just rips anything in sight... but still, I can't ask it to do things a 5" bike just shouldn't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.