Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in another post that the Motolite was made in taiwan. Please tell me this is not true, I am trying to decide between a Racer X and a Motolite. I prefer US made bikes.

Bryan

· Registered
12 Posts
craigstr said:
The front triangles are welded up in Taiwan but the rear triangles, shock pivot, swingarm pivots and cable guides are put together at Titus in the good old USA
And if you realy want to get 100% US made, try to buy 05 ML - they were manfacture in mountain cycle (own by Kinesis) plant in Oragon. In 06 they are welded in Kinesis plant in Taiwan.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
craigstr said:
The front triangles are welded up in Taiwan but the rear triangles, shock pivot, swingarm pivots and cable guides are put together at Titus in the good old USA
Yup... I should add the front triangles are made out with the same American Worth tubing and American welding rod.

The rest of the bike is 100% american.
They should be bearing the "Handmade in the USA" sticker if it wouldn't be because of Kinesis moving his manufacturing facility overseas. Not really Titus fault. It happened after the production of the ML started back in '05.

· Ti is addictive
2,892 Posts
Ever wonder why there is a $400 difference in price between the motolite and the Racer-X?
Frame(triangle) welded in taiwan isn't that bad, passes some savings to the person to spend on parts. If the argument is over quality, ever seen a yeti 575(taiwan) weld vs yeti AS-R weld(USA) and say the welding is so much finer if done in USA(lol)????
As for Titus made in USA bike, if you want the utmost peace of mind then go Ti/Exogrid and then you can sleep at night knowing that is was probably made in the USA.

· Registered
169 Posts
Yeap, it's true

bglimpse said:
I read in another post that the Motolite was made in taiwan. Please tell me this is not true, I am trying to decide between a Racer X and a Motolite. I prefer US made bikes.

Bryan
Sadly (for you, but not for me), the front triangle is made in Taiwan, just as pointed out by others members.

I even have another bad new for you, just in case you are thinking about a Rockshox fork: They are made in Taiwan as well (and I'm almost sure that some other components such as cables, derailleurs and brakes are made there, too).

The funny thing is that some many ML owners are using RS forks at their bikes. Could it be that products made in Taiwan rules? Sorry, but I think that all this "Made is Taiwan = BS" is not the rule anymore.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Tavinho said:
Sadly (for you, but not for me), the front triangle is made in Taiwan, just as pointed out by others members.

I even have another bad new for you, just in case you are thinking about a Rockshox fork: They are made in Taiwan as well (and I'm almost sure that some other components such as cables, derailleurs and brakes are made there, too).

The funny thing is that some many ML owners are using RS forks at their bikes. Could it be that products made in Taiwan rules? Sorry, but I think that all this "Made is Taiwan = BS" is not the rule anymore.
Also scratch from the list:

- Marzocchi (Italy)
- Magura (Germany)
- Pace (UK)
- Shimano (Japan / Malaysia)
- SRAM (Taiwan)
- Formula (Italy)
- DT Swiss (Switzerland)
- Hope (UK)

Fortunately, there's always Chris King, Hadley, and Thomson.

My buddy Tigerdog had an M4 hardtail and his wife a low end Specialized too made in China.

Judging the weld and finishes only, I'd get the Chinese frame... it has some beautiful welds that is hard to believe it was made in China. If somebody would had made a blind test, most would say the frame is made in a first world country... BTW, the frame is clear coated brushed aluminum.

Obviously, American people want to keep jobs in America and it's a true and valid concern. Just take into account that by not buying from an American company that sells an outsourced product is not supporting american people anyway.

Also, I'd like to add furthermore... Titus DOES MAKES BIKES IN GOOD OLE ARIZONA!!!!
They not only sell bikes. They design, market and make bikes in house.

Not many (even some "American Made") bike companies can say that.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
FarAway said:
And if you realy want to get 100% US made, try to buy 05 ML - they were manfacture in mountain cycle (own by Kinesis) plant in Oragon. In 06 they are welded in Kinesis plant in Taiwan.
and I held a 06ML and my 05 ML right next to each other tonight and surprise..... the 06 welds are flawless compared to my oregon made ML.

· Banned
67 Posts
YES !!! RX and Moto Lite's are all made in Taiwan!!!

Yes the front and rear of the Racer X and the Moto Lite are made overseas....that is if the rear is carbon/aluminum. The motolite aluminum rear end is still made in AZ, but expect that to be shifted overseas this year or so....as per Titus movement to shift stuff overseas, not deal directly with clients/customers, and other briliant ideas from Litespeed West....just my 2 cents, but Titus used to be a great American company with really great designs, now it is a company that has some really cool designs.....

· Registered
2,718 Posts
bong water

mintbiker said:
Yes the front and rear of the Racer X and the Moto Lite are made overseas....that is if the rear is carbon/aluminum. The motolite aluminum rear end is still made in AZ, but expect that to be shifted overseas this year or so....as per Titus movement to shift stuff overseas, not deal directly with clients/customers, and other briliant ideas from Litespeed West....just my 2 cents, but Titus used to be a great American company with really great designs, now it is a company that has some really cool designs.....
you shouldn't put so much koolaid in your bong water.:nono:

· thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
mintbiker said:
Damn you Titus, damn you to hell!!!!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.