Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the cables routed on my Motolite such that they run just above the shock and are held in place with a couple of zip-ties. The cables are neat and tidy and have pretty much no slack when there is no weight on the bike; however, once I am on the bike and the suspension sags, the cables flex outwards on each side of the top tube.

This was especially a problem today when I was pedalling because my leg armour kept on snagging onto the cable, but I could see it being a nuissance even without leg armour, as it would keep on brushing up against my right leg when pedalling. Aside from removing my leg armour (which isn't really an option since I ride with flat pedals and prefer not to have my legs shredded up by the pins), is there a solution to this problem?

· Registered
9,497 Posts
I had the same problem when I first built my motolite up. Like other bikes I have built, I ran the cable housing just a bit long to make for smoother bends etc... and the cables bowing out was really annoying. Then I was thinking about how the cable routing on the motolite is pretty unique- any sag in the suspension gets added to the housing length. So I cut my cables down, making the brake and rear der. housing sections as short as possible. The bowing out is %90 gone now, and my shifting is better too.

· Registered
280 Posts
yep, same problem here. Search for Motolite cable routing, and you'll find a thread with a picture. Essentially what i've done, is purchased two hydraulic hosing guides and placed them at the top of both seat stays. This gets the cables off the seat tube, and then like FM said, run the cables as tight as possible. This will give you the best solution I think.

Edit: here, i've even dug up the post I was talking about:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=224424&highlight=motolite+cable+routing

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Cable Routing Issues

I was experiencing a more annoying issue with the cables. My cables were flexing and causing my RD to shift :madman: . I think it was Dulyebr that 1st gave me the idea via my buddy Orthorex. He ran the cable through a set of Full Metal Jacket rings. The problem was that the now make these FMJ rings different. So, I came up with a new method of using the FMJ rings and adapting them to my shock body so they run freely and independently of the frame. It was easy and it works like a charm. It should solve your problem as well! :thumbsup: ?

Good Luck!

If you any more questions I'd be happy to give you more info on the setup.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.