Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
GASing
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is in her element. I call it the "Police Edition MotoLite" because of the white on black color scheme. Can you dig it?!





I finished building it on Monday night, and had a nice inagural ride the next day on my 40th B-Day. Took it out again today and got these. It will take a little time before I get settled and dialed in.

The Marz AM 1 SL fork compliments the stiffness of the bike very well. It has that taught feel, like a German car - you can feel the trail. It gets really plush the faster you go down hill.

The ATA is really cool. you can see the travel cranking down as you twist the knob. 120mm for climbs and 140mm-145mm for fast neutral handling. I didn't push too hard on Tuesday, but today, I hit a few steep rocky sections, and said, dammit! I'm going to crank this baby up - screw the warranty. Man, at 160mm this thing feels great when you point it downhill! The plushness is addictive - it's not waterbed plush, it still lets you know what kind of surface you're riding on.
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
With the little time I had on it today I can honestly say you discibed it to a T. I wasn't even going to say, because I didn't have any words to discribe it accuretly, but you found them... yes, if I had a brain that's what I would have said.

Excalent, Excalent job man... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
funkle said:
Can you dig it?!
Dug man !~! :cool: :thumbsup: :cool:

funkle said:
The ATA is really cool. you can see the travel cranking down as you twist the knob. 120mm for climbs and 140mm-145mm for fast neutral handling. I didn't push too hard on Tuesday, but today, I hit a few steep rocky sections, and said, dammit! I'm going to crank this baby up - screw the warranty. Man, at 160mm this thing feels great when you point it downhill! The plushness is addictive - it's not waterbed plush, it still lets you know what kind of surface you're riding on.

BIG CONGRATULATIONS FUNKLE


I am soooo unbelievably jealous of you dooods with 160 travel !~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

oooohhhh baby, sub 67 degrees.......

I have been using my TAS between 140 and 145 and it's rocks fer sure. I put it on ETA to change travel on the trail, change travel, and let ETA go.

Marzocchi stoke .... at 141 she's nimble and agro at the same time.... the motolite is so hawt hawt hawt at 68 degree HA, and when you get below 68 she hauls her peerrrty little beeeehind down the steeps and rough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Me like.................. Cool to hear thoughts and comments on 160 mm............ Enjoy..
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Well...

I spent from 10:30 this morning to 3:00 this afternoon on the same 6 mile stretch of trail trying to dial this thing in. It absolutley fly's down the trail, and feels really tight stiff and, light-er but it still feels like an air fork 100%.

I don't know, the damping just feels harsh over everything right now, coming off the All Mnt1. I also might have some issues with it being "you know" a little jiggly? even in lock out theres just a tiny bit of play?.. what do people call that?

Anyhow I ran it at 140mm all the way to 160mm, and the handling felt right on, at every hight. But geesh the damping kinda feels like doo doo, right now. Mabye it's the going to air from "coil" thing but, it felt bad no matter how low I went with the pressure. I seem to remember a similar experiance going from a Phsylo to a TALAS RLC but this just didn't "at all" feel good to me. I would almost swear "at this time" that something isn't right with how it feels even with going from coil to air. Yesterday I seem to remember thinking it felt really "air like", but in a good way... but today ugh!
 

·
ಠ_ಠ
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
should have gotten a Pike, punk! Just kidding. Give it some time to break-in before you pass judgement. I would say you need to give it at least a month of good riding. Marzocchi knows suspension, so I'm sure you'll grow to dig it in time.
 

·
Trophy Husband
Joined
·
3,011 Posts
blackagness said:
I spent from 10:30 this morning to 3:00 this afternoon on the same 6 mile stretch of trail trying to dial this thing in. It absolutley fly's down the trail, and feels really tight stiff and, light-er but it still feels like an air fork 100%.

I don't know, the damping just feels harsh over everything right now, coming off the All Mnt1. I also might have some issues with it being "you know" a little jiggly? even in lock out theres just a tiny bit of play?.. what do people call that?

Anyhow I ran it at 140mm all the way to 160mm, and the handling felt right on, at every hight. But geesh the damping kinda feels like doo doo, right now. Mabye it's the going to air from "coil" thing but, it felt bad no matter how low I went with the pressure. I seem to remember a similar experiance going from a Phsylo to a TALAS RLC but this just didn't "at all" feel good to me. I would almost swear "at this time" that something isn't right with how it feels even with going from coil to air. Yesterday I seem to remember thinking it felt really "air like", but in a good way... but today ugh!
You could always send it my way BA. It might look good on the front end of my SuMo...I'm looking for a 5 pound trail fork. :D
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
dulyebr said:
should have gotten a Pike, punk! Just kidding. Give it some time to break-in before you pass judgement. I would say you need to give it at least a month of good riding. Marzocchi knows suspension, so I'm sure you'll grow to dig it in time.
Supposed to be 2 hours past break in... 12 hours used at purchase.
 

·
ಠ_ಠ
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
i guess you've been spoilded by the ZAM1...

Didn't FM have an AMSL that took some time to break-in, and then he said it felt totally coil-like? PM him and ask him what he thinks.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
blackagness said:
I don't know, the damping just feels harsh over everything right now, coming off the All Mnt1. I also might have some issues with it being "you know" a little jiggly? even in lock out theres just a tiny bit of play?.. what do people call that?
Maybe some air in the TST??

If you can get 3/8" or more of travel on the Lock-Out position, then you have air in the bladder and it has to be purged. However, I don't know if the TST is the same as on 05-06.

Something more to check for is oil levels. The air cart leg uses some ridiculous amount of oil... like 10cc's (10ml's).

I haven't check oil levels for the '07 Zokes... but I guess it's just about time to make a research here on mtbr and on Zoke page.

I'm sure it'll feel like the ducks nuts once dialed in.
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Warp said:
Maybe some air in the TST??

If you can get 3/8" or more of travel on the Lock-Out position, then you have air in the bladder and it has to be purged. However, I don't know if the TST is the same as on 05-06.

Something more to check for is oil levels. The air cart leg uses some ridiculous amount of oil... like 10cc's (10ml's).

I haven't check oil levels for the '07 Zokes... but I guess it's just about time to make a research here on mtbr and on Zoke page.

I'm sure it'll feel like the ducks nuts once dialed in.
Yeah, and it seems like I remember reading that the TST is actually "easier" to break into for 07... I bet that's it! But damn that intimadates me after all I been through with the AM1.:madman:

And geo! That's part of the reason I wanted to go with this fork. If I should luck into a SuMo or Guap down the road sometime, I could just switch em.
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Ding Ding!!!

dulyebr said:
i guess you've been spoilded by the ZAM1...

Didn't FM have an AMSL that took some time to break-in, and then he said it felt totally coil-like? PM him and ask him what he thinks.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :thumbsup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
Good to see you today!

It was great to see you today on the trail. I hope you got the fork dialled in. Man that thing looks hot on the front of your ML. :thumbsup:
 

·
GASing
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From what I understand, Marzocchis are knows for loosening up after 20 hours or so. I think you may be spoiled by the coil. I don't think an air shock will ever be quite as plush.

By jiggly, what do you mean? is the play in the vertical or horizontal direction?
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top