Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a Turner Burner and looking at a replacement ride. I am considering setting up a Motolite with light cross-country components for a plush, go anywhere trailbile. I rarely jump off anything over 2-ft, and ride mostly single track with rooty / rocky climbs...

I need a little help getting started...
I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam - (33" if you get personal with the measurement) ... any advice on the mediun - large frame size decision?

where are the best deals on this frame in M or L size frames in the US? Close to Texas if possible. I hope I can get a frame on a close-out but selection looks limited.

Is it true about the ride?
I am thinking I may end up going for this frame on advice and infor from the forum, without trying it first and this is making me a little nervous.

thanks 1,000,000 for your help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, I can't tell you to go either way. But, I am 5'8" with a 31" inseam and a medium fits me really well with a 100mm stem. I think may go with a 90mm and it will be spot on.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Burnerd said:
I am currently riding a Turner Burner and looking at a replacement ride. I am considering setting up a Motolite with light cross-country components for a plush, go anywhere trailbile. I rarely jump off anything over 2-ft, and ride mostly single track with rooty / rocky climbs...

I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam - (33" if you get personal with the measurement) ... any advice on the mediun - large frame size decision?

where are the best deals on this frame in M or L size frames in the US? Close to Texas if possible. I hope I can get a frame on a close-out but selection looks limited.

I am thinking I may end up going for this frame on advice and infor from the forum, without trying it first and this is making me a little nervous.

Texas?

Contact Charles at Hemmerhead Bikes (Austin?)

He can give you also sound advice on sizing and being a long time Titus dealer, maybe he can get you in no time on a ML at a very good price.

·
Veni Vidi Vici
995 Posts

The ride is true and more... it is Orgasmic:yesnod: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw your post on the Turner Forum and it helped me to look into the Motolite. I am looking for something between a Burner (Flux) and a 5-Spot... Sounds like the Motolite fits the bill.
Red Barn, right? - did they cut you a good deal?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
06 motolite frames were just closed-out....

Burnerd said:
I saw your post on the Turner Forum and it helped me to look into the Motolite. I am looking for something between a Burner (Flux) and a 5-Spot... Sounds like the Motolite fits the bill.
Red Barn, right? - did they cut you a good deal?

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
barelylegal said:

The ride is true and more... it is Orgasmic:yesnod: :thumbsup:

And those are pretty good...:thumbsup:

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Burnerd said:

I think that Mad Ducks Adventures is in Dallas and was featured in MBA reviews of shops. I've never been there, but a friend has and liked that store.

If you're willing to shop online, try bikerbobs.com, speedgoat.com (I've done business with them and liked them), also Red Barnes and there are some other shops very good out there.

I'm 5'11", and do some technical areas, and run a Medium, but I think that depending on the terrain I could have gone for a large ( a large would be more stable at speeds, a medium more agile at singletracks).

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
there are at least 5 threads on riders around 5'11" trying to figure out what size ML, try a search and dig through them for some good info

·
Registered
280 Posts
Burnerd, I am not sure if you were talking of my post on the Turner forum or not, but yes, I did get my frame from Chad at Red Barn. He was great to deal with. So, now after riding both Turner 5 Spot and my beloved MotoLite, I would say they are a great comparison. The ML is so versatile and I think that is the beauty that most people see in the frame.

Go for it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled the trigger today

... I have just ordered a new Motolite after looking over these comments and speaking with Titus and consulting Hammerhead bikes.
I have ordered a medium frame and will set it up with a 110 or 120 stem. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait!
Great service by the way from Hammerhead - Knowledgable people and almost instant response to e-mail, and phone calls.

Thanks everyone for your comments and insights.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Color?... I'll keep you in suspense and post a photo when it arrives!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Motolite Sizing

I just got my large 2006 ML frame and had it built up at the LBS (transferred over components from my 2004 S-Works Enduro). I bought the frame while I was out in Colorado, after demo-ing the bike at the Sports Garage in Boulder (which coincidently was just written up in MBA as one of the top shops in the country, particularly when it comes to sizing). Anyway, before going to Colorado, I had spoken to a couple of bike shops about sizing and even called Titus. Everyone told me that I was right on the bubble between medium and large. I am 5-10 with a 32" inseam. I was leaning towards going with the medium, but the only demo that the Sports Garage had was a large. I took it out on some local trails and it felt pretty good. When I got back to the store, Gavin (the manager) did a complete fitting for me to help decide which frame I should buy, it turned out to be a large.

I am still waiting for the LBS to get the proper stem for me, but it is either going to be a 90mm or 100mm with a 10 degree rise.

In the meantime, I took the bike out for it inaugural ride last night and didn't get very far. Bummer. It turns out that the new XTR chain that the LBS put on the bike was defective and had a couple of bad links that acted up under torque. They replaced the chain and I am looking forward to riding this weekend (if the weather cooperates).

For what it's worth, my experience at the Sports Garage in Boulder, CO was one of the best retail experiences of my life. I highly recommend them. They are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and on top of all of that, very reasonable with pricing! www.sportsgarage.net.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't you just LOVE the smell of fresh cardboard?

frame arrived in the courrier today...

Titus box.jpg

blue..............

Titus Frame.jpg

can't wait to finish the build!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

my wife greeted the delivery guy and took custody of the package.
I hugged my wife.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts