Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_eds.htm
There's a GREAT deal on bikes at BikesDirect.com, but I'm not sure if it's really better than the Specialized bike http://skagitcyclecenter.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=2045 for around 1200$.
I'd love all the extras that come with the Motobecane bike (Disc breaks, upgrades, etc. @ around 1200$) but I'm not sure about the frame. I've not heard anyone really talk about this sort of comparison on here (as I can find as of yet.) . I'd love to make my purchase next week so if you all could help me I'd appreciate it. I sort of had a thread like this in the General area, but no one really replied.
Thanks again for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Specialized bikes have the patent for the Horst Link. A four bar rear suspension that is active even when braking and climbing.

The other design (bikes direct) looks like four bar but doesn't have the Horst Link. Is Horst Link better? Not necessarily. You have to ride one to see for yourself.

I always suggest that you should ride the bikes you are interested in. Sadly you cannot do this with internet bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
My main concern would be the how well the suspension works. To me this is a larger issue than the components that come on the bike. It may work fine it may not. They do offer a 30 day money back...so technically you could get it and test it out a bit...just done ding it heh..and if you don't like it just ship it back and be out your shipping cost.
For components better than the Specialized and a suspension system that really does work check out:

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8093/.f?sc=7&category=55
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well it sounds like Specialized has a great suspension from what I've been reading.
To be honest I'm not too sure about Iron Horse bikes at this price vs. Specialized. I know there are many haters out there for every brand and I see Ibex coming up left and right so I'm just trying to figure out what frame and components I'll get for the value. I can only spend about 1000-1200 max..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Bhaltair said:
Well it sounds like Specialized has a great suspension from what I've been reading.
To be honest I'm not too sure about Iron Horse bikes at this price vs. Specialized. I know there are many haters out there for every brand and I see Ibex coming up left and right so I'm just trying to figure out what frame and components I'll get for the value. I can only spend about 1000-1200 max..
IH at 1099 has better:
Brakes
Fork
Shock
rear der.
pedals

For the IH susp. info go to www.dw-link.com also realize that LOTS of companies copy that design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you see a bike with "better parts" on it for around the same price, what's that tell you about their frame?
KISS

I'm going with a cheaper bike for now. Specialized RockHopper I think.
 

·
S*it Happens!
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
What makes a good frame??

Bhaltair said:
When you see a bike with "better parts" on it for around the same price, what's that tell you about their frame?
I've been looking for a good frame. I was thinking about a Santa Cruze Chameleon, for a next year parts build. This is a $550 ht frame w/o shipping. You think this frame must be great but all I read is people complaining about their back wheel shifting over to the other side every time they break hard. Then they have to adjust it. I've never had this happen to any Walmart or Kmart bike I'd ever had. I have a feeling some things are better to a point then after that it's just... Bling, Bling. :thumbsup:

Click here

Click here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Bhaltair said:
When you see a bike with "better parts" on it for around the same price, what's that tell you about their frame?
KISS

I'm going with a cheaper bike for now. Specialized RockHopper I think.
It means that the '06 IHs are on clearance. Or that Ibex and moto sells through the internet. Since your belief in a bike is tied to its cost, here is a link to the 07 Azure...I'm sure the MSRP will prove its quality to you www.ironhorsebikes.com/AzureComp.html
:crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
taikuodo said:
Did you already look at Ibex? It's a general consensus that the Motobecane full suspension offerings are not up to par.
between the two the OP mentioned ...specialized...no contest

Take a look at IBEX... I was not impressed with the Moto FS bikes ... and I do have a moto, just not a FS one! I do have an IBEX FS bike and am extremely happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes but that's comparing apples and oranges. Technologies change and thus you can't even compare a 2007 with a 2006.
I understand you're showing a deal. I could then just look at deals with any other clearance bikes of any brand and we could argue prices all day.
Thank you for your input though, it's very valuable. The only people that sell Iron Horse up here in Bellingham is GI JOES, a sort of Walmart.
Our local shops sell Trek, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Etc.
I realize that the IH isn't a "Walmart" bike so don't get offended. They are cheaper builds in those stores however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Bhaltair said:
Yes but that's comparing apples and oranges. Technologies change and thus you can't even compare a 2007 with a 2006.
I understand you're showing a deal. I could then just look at deals with any other clearance bikes of any brand and we could argue prices all day.
Thank you for your input though, it's very valuable. The only people that sell Iron Horse up here in Bellingham is GI JOES, a sort of Walmart.
Our local shops sell Trek, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Etc.
I realize that the IH isn't a "Walmart" bike so don't get offended. They are cheaper builds in those stores however.
Yeah lots of companies sell "walmart" bikes, no offense taken. But the difference between the 06 and 07 "tech" is pretty small (pretty much non-existant at the level of bikes you are looking at). And yes you can compare 06 closeout IH to any other 06 closeout and IH would still be the better deal. Anyway good luck with your bike choice.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top