Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the sport looking for help in buying a bike. I raced motocross and want to start mountain biking on a real bike I have a old mongoose that has been beat. I need a bike that can put up a real beating. I found this motobecane fantom trail ds. on bikesdirect.com is this a good place to buy a bike? and is this a good bike to get?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Motobecane is a good bike. I just bought a Fantom Trail Hardtail and love it. Although, I'd definitely say go that route if have their brick and mortar counterpart nearby (www.CycleSpectrum.com) because if you buy the bike there (for same price as online) you get free service for life. If you don't have one nearby, I recommend www.ibexbikes.com. I did some pretty in-depth analysis and I think the Ibex bikes are about 15% better for the same price. Take it with a grain of salt because I'm a beginner myself, but I very recently did a ton of research into it :p

I'd recommend something like this, its a really popular bike
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-3-Details.html

:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2007 Fantom Elite DS and love it. I wish it had the hydro brakes like the 2008 but I think mine has better forks. Have had no maintainance issues on bike and have oly had to rplace tires and oil the chain. Watch out as this can become an addiction worse than MX. I still race cross country and now have bicycles that cost more than my motorcycles.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Another vote for an Ibex. They make sweet frames, with awesome components and awesome customer service to boot. Plus, the Ibex community is just down right awesome...

https://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

I'm on my 2nd Ibex right now and both bikes are just amazing at straight down performs. My Ibex Zone is my current race bike right now and it's just awesome with the highspeed stuff and is extremely flickable. My Ignition is my play bike which for one is extremely forgiving when you do make a mistake...

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Ubtime,

My recommendation is to be careful and do your research. I will also include that "Mr Percussive" is a member of what's known as "Jack's Pack", referencing the owner of Ibex. They seem to not only have a rivalry against Motobecane (whose owner is as much of an oddity as Jack, Ibex's owner), but there is a long-standing record of their presence in spamming other forums with a multitude of Ibex recommendations and pile-ons directed at beginners who don't know better, which seem to be starting all over again. A big dispute and schism in the forum membership occurred over some events surrounding Ibex's business practices some weeks ago and the actions of persons like Percussive, so I would take their advice with a grain of salt. The "Ibex Community" is not held in very high regard due to their questionable practices and encroaching on beginners, akin to extreme right political groups taking advantage of the lesser educated and disenfranchised.

Additionally, Ibex does not make their own frames, period (contrary to Percussive's statement). The catalog company they buy them from has been posted and other companies with the same frames under different brands have been posted as well.

Pick what works best for you, whether it be Motobecane, Ibex, or a host of others.

One strong recommendation I can make for you is if you do go the mail order route, do read up Sheldon Brown's website if you're not familiar with bike wrenching. It will make the experience that much more pleasurable. If this doesn't interest you, learn slowly and buy from a bike shop, with the intent of learning how to adjust/install cables and housings, install of cranks, truing wheels, and many other things.

You want to make the experience as pleasurable as possible and in my opinion, learning how to wrench and taking pride in your own work is part of it. Don't forget: if you're out in the woods, you're the only one there to save yourself.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
ubtme said:
new to the sport looking for help in buying a bike. I raced motocross and want to start mountain biking on a real bike I have a old mongoose that has been beat. I need a bike that can put up a real beating. I found this motobecane fantom trail ds. on bikesdirect.com is this a good place to buy a bike? and is this a good bike to get?
You can generally get a better deal buying online than in a shop [and I have owned shops for 30 years and still have a bunch - so I can tell you this is just the case]

Many online sellers have high grade bikes that they sell - often made in the exact same factories that make brands like Trek, Specialized, etc

The Bike you mentioned has the exact same frame as the Fantom Team - a proven full suspension frame used on thousands of bikes and reveiwed by lots of magazines. And several adventure racers have used this frame with great success.

My favorite is where dirt rag really did a beyound the call of duty review [most reviews invovle a few rides]. http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=668&category=stuff_reviews

Lots of good deals on FS bikes in your price range; you should take your time and you will find something nice.

Good luck
Have Fun
and Be Safe

·
mtbr member
491 Posts
If this is your first mountain bike you should test ride it before you buy it. The same size bikes (from various manufacturers) can be different, your body's build can be different. The fit and feel of a bike doesn't always agree with the sizing charts or with the words of someone trying to sell you a bike. Test ride for the best fit and feel---you may regret it if you don't.

·
I play hard to want
360 Posts
I don't have any experience with Motobecane, but I have an Ibex Asta that I purchased last year and couldn't be happier.

·
Never worng!
622 Posts
Here's my 2¢ worth -

READ "Mountain Biking 101" at the top of this forum.

What Noobi-Wan Kenobi said above, "Test ride for the best fit and feel---you may regret it if you don't."
Can't emphasize this enough. Sort of like - I wouldn't buy dentures online.

And then -
Do you want a Hardtail or Full Suspension?
How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Ubtime,

The "Ibex Community" is not held in very high regard due to their questionable practices and encroaching on beginners, akin to extreme right political groups taking advantage of the lesser educated and disenfranchised.
This is ridiculous, ibex bikes are solid and arguably have the best component specs for the price. Perhaps some members are a bit over zealous in their enthusiasm, but are they preying on beginning bikers :nono: Try to stay on topic and save your political crusade for the political crusade forum.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
gunit said:
This is ridiculous, ibex bikes are solid and arguably have the best component specs for the price. Perhaps some members are a bit over zealous in their enthusiasm, but are they preying on beginning bikers :nono: Try to stay on topic and save your political crusade for the political crusade forum.
Before you challenge something you're not in the know about, know what you don't know

It has nothing to do with them, once again. It has everything to do with the fact that experienced and diverse members will not bother giving a beginner seasoned advice because of what's apparently starting back up again.

I'd like to see more beginners on bikes, not on brands. I'm happy to help with the former, not the latter.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
gunit said:
... Perhaps some members are a bit over zealous in their enthusiasm, but are they preying on beginning bikers :nono: ...
I am pretty sure this is called a Freudian Slip ... I laughed. You're "agreeing" with Jerk_Chicken, just so you know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
It has nothing to do with them, once again. It has everything to do with the fact that experienced and diverse members will not bother giving a beginner seasoned advice because of what's apparently starting back up again.
More political gibberish.

This guy or gal was asking about a good beginning bike. Do you have anything to say about that?? Sorry you have beef with ibex fans... do you have anything substantive to say about their quality / value? Can you suggest alternatives with better value? Suggesting "beginner just get on a bike" is not helpful.

·
Never worng!
622 Posts
Hope ubtme didn't get scared off. ;)

Back OT -
Other bikes to look at are Iron Horse, Jamis, Diamondback, Specialized and on and on.........

Someone suggested on the other thread you started that you might consider a Hardtail.
Probably not a bad idea. But it'll all depend on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just decided on a Motobecane Fantom Trail, should be here next week, I'll post a review once I have a chance to ride it. I was planning to go with a GF Marlin Disc with slightly lesser components to get LBS support, but they can't find one in my size. The trek's they had were too expensive with even lower components, so that made the choice a bit easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had and tested many bike. But just recently I was looking for a new 29er and didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. I looked at every major brand out there then I started to look online. At first I found the Ibex and they looked like a very nice well made bike for the money and I almost ordered one.

After doing some more research I came across bikesdirect and I looked at both the Motobecane and the Windsor. I originally was looking at a Motobecane but they didn't have it in my size and wouldn't for about 6 weeks. I then started looking heavy into the Windsors, as they are suppose to be the same frame as Fuji uses(or did use). I did a lot of comparisions between the ibex and the Windsor and found that the Windsor was a better buy, at least in my eyes. Plus it was $165 cheaper and with better components.

·
wannabe corporate shill
365 Posts
I have both an Ibex and Motobecane. Both good bikes for their respective prices. Ideally, try to test fit/ride before you buy, however in my case= the online fit calculators worked well.

Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.