Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19" Motobecane Fantom Pro 29 SL and I was wondering if anyone knew what the frame weighs is give or take a few grams. I love the bike especially after I upgraded the wheelset. I am also thinking about upgrading to a ONE 9 Niner frame but I don't want to waste the money if I am close on weight because I do like the frame.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There one up on ebay right now -- according to the seller...

This is a 2010 model year Motobecane Fantom Pro 29er frame in Matte Slate Gray. It's a 17" size, center of bottom bracket to top of seatpost, brand new, never ridden, just not in its original packaging. Included are a Shimano Deore front derailleur, Cane Creek headset, and a seatpost clamp. It weighs 4.88 pounds with all those included, probably somewhere around 4.3-4.4 pounds frame alone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150561111113&category=98083&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that but wasn't sure if there was a difference between that and the SL. I am sure it is close I was figuring really close to 5 lbs for the 19".

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Just weighed a 17" raw moto Fantom Pro SL - Raw color it was 4lbs 7oz or ~2000g with no parts- other than a simple seat clamp-

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I built up a 19" a few months ago and weighed the frame and it was 4.2. Frame only with seatpost clamp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I could drop a pound in a hurry by changing up frames if I am going to do it I am thinking about going to a Titanium frame. There are some on Ebay for $670 OBO any ideas on how they are? I may buy one and just try it. It would be nice to hear someones opinion if they have run one. They look really nice. www.predatorbike.com

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
They have been mentioned here before , the derailleur hanger is not easily replaceable so not a lot of interest .

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
They have been mentioned here before , the derailleur hanger is not easily replaceable so not a lot of interest .
In the 8 years working as a bicycle mechanic, I never once saw a bent titanium hanger...not once. Not saying it doesn't happen but there is a reason most ti frames come without replaceable hangers.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
In the 8 years working as a bicycle mechanic, I never once saw a bent titanium hanger...not once. Not saying it doesn't happen but there is a reason most ti frames come without replaceable hangers.
A perfectly valid point , they should probably send one to me to test for a while . ;) A long term test couldn't hurt .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tempting to try one...if you don't like it throw it back on ebay you would probably only be out a couple hundred $. Two weekends of bar tabs. I am trying to talk myself into it...

·
Registered
127 Posts
PatSM said:
I know I could drop a pound in a hurry by changing up frames if I am going to do it I am thinking about going to a Titanium frame. There are some on Ebay for $670 OBO any ideas on how they are? I may buy one and just try it. It would be nice to hear someones opinion if they have run one. They look really nice. www.predatorbike.com
Large Moto Ti frame - $550.00 PM me if you want

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not sure if I am doing it right I tried to PM you? I am new to this site and still learning.

·
Registered
406 Posts
OP, or anyone else, how strong are these frames? The Motobecane. I would like to start getting parts together to build a 29er and these frames are cheap. The bike won't be ridden rough, I have a bike for that. This would be for fairly long rides on mostly flat trails. But I do weigh 200.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
dkbikes4life said:
OP, or anyone else, how strong are these frames? The Motobecane. I would like to start getting parts together to build a 29er and these frames are cheap. The bike won't be ridden rough, I have a bike for that. This would be for fairly long rides on mostly flat trails. But I do weigh 200.
They are plenty strong , just don't expect them to be particularly light .

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Motobecane frame will be find for that, I would worry more about making sure the geometry works for you.

dkbikes4life said:

·
Registered
295 Posts
PatSM said:
Tempting to try one...if you don't like it throw it back on ebay you would probably only be out a couple hundred $. Two weekends of bar tabs. I am trying to talk myself into it...
If you want to drop a quick lb. stop spending $100+/week at the bar. That should do it pretty quickly. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts