Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, is there anybody else out there riding the Motobecane Fantom 29er? I have yet to run into another one!

Just rebuilt mine, figured I'd see what others had theirs set up like.

(By the way, yes those are Trek, and Madone stickers on it, my favorite thing to do when people ask me what it is at the trailhead is explain to them that it's next years Trek Madone 29er)

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
I just finished building up a Moto 29er in raw aluminum for my wife (still some tweaking to do...) - she came from an older spec rockhopper and her first ride down some single track I saw the grin on her face... you know the one - she is hooked-

I used some parts I had and bought some- a smattering of decent stuff
17" Moto frame
Reba 80mm fork
DT/Speci wheelset with front RWS
SLX Cranks/shifters
BB7 Brakes/XTR Levers
Thomson X4 Stem and Masterpiece Post
MAXIS Crossmark rear. ardent 2.25 front
and some pink bling... king headset, sram cassette and damsel fly saddle- important stuff...

It is about ~27 lbs or so but it sold her on the big wheels and she can't wait to hit the trails again-

Attachments

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
I can't talk as I probably have way too much dumped into the Moto build I did for my wife but most of it will end up on a different frame at some point... and I got the frame and some other parts shipped brand new for $100... But when you start talking custom paint etc... I am just not sure of the motive? It is a perfectly good frame for what it is but...

·
Registered
59 Posts
knottshore said:
I can't talk as I probably have way too much dumped into the Moto build I did for my wife but most of it will end up on a different frame at some point... and I got the frame and some other parts shipped brand new for $100... But when you start talking custom paint etc... I am just not sure of the motive? It is a perfectly good frame for what it is but...
I don't have any issues with the frame. I just bought a Phantom 29 Pro SL and I think it was a great deal. But for $3,600 you could get a ridiculous bike.

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
853 Posts
oldfatslow said:
is anyone else dumbfounded by the amount he invested in that? Think of what you could buy off the shelf with that cash! It's like spending $100k in customizing a honda civic!
Well, he also lists MSRP prices in the Ebay ad, but no one seriously pays MSRP for every part on a bike nowadays.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
LBIkid said:
Well, he also lists MSRP prices in the Ebay ad, but no one seriously pays MSRP for every part on a bike nowadays.
I was thinking the same thing- especially when it is an online purchase from the start... unless someone found the lbs that carries the moto bikes and sells them at the msrp...

Overall the bike looks pretty trick, like anything else color etc... is always personal, I wish the op the best selling it

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I don't get it. Why come here to brag about you new bike then turn around and drop it on ebay the next week? Wait, maybe this was all a big ad campaign to help pump up the bids.

I'm deleting the ebay links so I don't have to close the whole thread for being spammy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.