Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
yeah it still hurts...
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be possible/desirable to somehow use a double-crown fork of a dirt bike in place of your regular $1-1.5k FR fork? i was just wondering becasue while you would probably need to ffabricate a new steerer tube, and it might be heavy, it must be strong if theyre using these things on 400 pound bikes going 40mph off-road. i like this option as well because i can get them pretty cheap around here. plus if you used the whole wheel/tire and hyd. brake assembly, this thing oughta be bombproof. so what do ya think?

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I still don't understand the concept of trolling. What makes this trolling, as opposed to a topic you have no interest in? He's not the first person to think of this.
The answer is, yes it can be done. The smaller legged, 10" travel forks off 80cc bikes are better than a full size bike's 12" fork. The even better option if you want a burly fork with more than 8" is the MTN-10 from Avalanche.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
LarryFahn said:
And there you have it. Read below the pics for details.

http://www.karpiel.com/insiders_corner/product_ambassador.htm

Fahn
Oh what great story. Reminds of the Bender era back in the day when all those NYC area jerk offs rode around on mega travel bikes with 3" gazzalodi's on 24's wearing stinky ass old hockey equipment:madman:

Thank god that crap is mostly gone and in the past with the exception of seeing it once or twice a year at diablow

·
Registered
830 Posts
motorcycle forks really wouldnt make sense since they are way bigger/heavier and there are so many MOUNTAIN BIKE INVERTED FORKS TO CHOOSE FROM that will do the job just fine, bolt right up and use the standard rim/tire/brake selection....

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,270 Posts
I think what tends to drive this is the sorry-ass damping and even the chassis we have to put up with for MTB. No one wants a 15lb fork, but we do want high-speed shim-stacks that can be modified, we want real low-speed adjustments that don't turn the high-speed ride into a jackhammer, we want decent lubrication that allows the fork to run for a while without having to add lubricating oil every two weeks, we want decent anti-bottoming characteristics that don't require us to run an overly-stiff spring, and so on. Most mountain bike manufacturers have been severely lacking in the past, and maybe only now they are getting to the point where this stuff is really being addressed, but maybe that's where the premise of the "MX" fork for mtb comes from.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Why are some folks so angry? ,i thought they were talking about me for a sec,glad i never had the hockey equipment:) I do have fond memories of the 24x3 tires,they work better at plattekill mtn than at diablow hillside. The capt uses 26x3 tires,sort of a 29erish thing really. I did most of the machine work that made that bike work,a vernon local actually machined down and lightend the fork legs,but i did ;the axle, the brake mounts,steerer,stem and lightened up the triple clamps a bit. I rode the bike very shortly a couple times but it really doesn't work for me,i'm to light and short. There were a bunch of the jackshaft bmw's with avalanche forks with the big tires and tenderizer pedals,cromoly three piece,every heavy bit you could get.It's an interesting type of bike, i had a black armageddon with a monster T. It let's you ride over your head a bit safer,it may not be faster and more efficient for racing ,but for goofing around on the mtn the big bike can push certain lines and sections a little further. The current dh type bike is definitely faster down the mnt and in situations where it lets you jump over something by accellerating quicker. But guys with big bikes, like "capt america" ,believe they can go faster safely in the rough sections and let the bike soak up the impacts.It's not something you can really compare between riders, no ones' saying they're faster than you because they have mc forks on their mtb. The machine work that goes into putting a mc fork on a mountainbike definitely cancels out any "bargain" you may think you get on a kx 80 fork on ebay.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
boogenman said:
Oh what great story. Reminds of the Bender era back in the day when all those NYC area jerk offs rode around on mega travel bikes with 3" gazzalodi's on 24's wearing stinky ass old hockey equipment:madman:

Thank god that crap is mostly gone and in the past with the exception of seeing it once or twice a year at diablow
i had one of these jerk offs lecture me while i was on the gondola at diablo. explaining to me how my boxxer was too fragile, my michilens were too skinny and how i wasnt wearing enough armor. good thing the diablo lift is fast...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.