Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magura offer you the option of moto style levers- the blurb does not explain what this means and Magura help to confuse things further by using the same photo for the whole Marta range.

Any one know what this is all about and any thoughts on whether this is worth having on a fast carbon hardtail or a Turner Flux, thnx Paul

·
Registered
254 Posts
Moto style is locating the rear brake lever on the left side of the bar and the front brake lever on the right - as on a motorcycle (front brake on the right). It's just personal preference.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
yespsb said:
Magura offer you the option of moto style levers- the blurb does not explain what this means and Magura help to confuse things further by using the same photo for the whole Marta range.
Any one know what this is all about and any thoughts on whether this is worth having on a fast carbon hardtail or a Turner Flux, thnx Paul
On Magura this is a simple line switch from side to side but of course their rules have to be followed or the need for a bleed may result.
Many of us here run our brakes this way (left/rear; right/front) as wddamf says, for personal reasons, many of which (to me anyway) make perfect sense.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Right handed and never been on a motorcycle and its the way I prefer. The front brake gets more use and subtle tweaks and since I'm a righty, I can modulate the front better this way..

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Locoman said:
Right handed and never been on a motorcycle and its the way I prefer. The front brake gets more use and subtle tweaks and since I'm a righty, I can modulate the front better this way..
Yeah, 'zactly what you said.........and more. I can't see what motorcycles or 'left-handed' has got to do with it.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Mike T. said:
I can't see what motorcycles or 'left-handed' has got to do with it.
Sorry, but I'm lefthanded and riding a motorcycle made me realize my bike felt wrong... I happen to think that moto-style it's more natural to me. The left-front never felt right.

Hard to understand if you're not left handed... it's just one of those left handed perils.

BTW... I learned to play the guitar the way right handed people do... I find it unnatural to me, but after lots of practice I got to do it... It was just frustrating watching my teacher trying to figure out how to teach a left-handed guy how to play a left handed guitar. Now, I just couldn't make the switch, it just grew on me... but on the guitar I will never crash into a tree or something alike. :D

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, even though I am English, I have my brakes set up the American way rather than the English moto style and my reasons are dead simple, when I first started to ride I would get in over my head, and instinctively being right handed grab a handful of brake, playing superman hurt way too much so I switched to the American way and 4 years on I cannot see me ever changing back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.