Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How are your brake levers mounted

• "Moto Style" (front brake on right side)

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • "Normal" (front brake on left side)

Votes: 104 66.2%
  • HUH?

Votes: 5 3.2%

"Moto Style" brakes

4K views 40 replies 38 participants last post by  frisky_zissou 
#1 ·
I'm just looking to see if anyone rides with their brakes "moto style," which means the front brake is controlled with your right hand. Please include your style of riding (DH race, freeride, misc.) and your location in the world.

#2 ·
moto style for me. I ride mostly aggressive all mountain.
I'm in the southeastern U.S.

Mine comes from the fact that I've been racing motocross since I was 5 and GNCC for about 6 years. Also, I think it all started when I was in middle school and on the Freestyle BMX phase. My first freestyle bike had cheap-o brakes and I couldn't manage to clamp down the front brake with my left hand. Swapped em around because my right hand seemed stronger (probably the result of multiple injuries to my left wrist) and haven't went back since.

#3 ·
schneidie said:
I'm just looking to see if anyone rides with their brakes "moto style," which means the front brake is controlled with your right hand. Please include your style of riding (DH race, freeride, misc.) and your location in the world.
I kill it on the DH and UH, I listen to punk rock and I like long walks on the beach. Oh and I live in the U.S. and A. RIGHT HAND REAR BRAKE FO LIFE!

#18 ·
I switch btwn my DH bike and Moto every weekend of the riding season. I run MX righty front and DH righty rear. I don't find it a problem at all to swap around, but of course I am Super Awesome.

#25 ·
I run "moto" I guess, been riding motor bikes (street and dirt) since I was 10 and I grew up in NZ where its the "norm" on bicycles, right hand is the front brake, I know nothing else, and that almost killed me when I took my first bike for a test ride here in Canadia... lol :eekster: :eekster:

Not sure why you would want to change?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.