Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I am 99% done with it. But the tires don't arrive until tomorrow. Unfortunately, it was like high 50's if not 60 degrees today! Personally, I think the rear end looks really long and it is probably a result of the sliders. Right now they are about in the middle so I do have some room to shorten the chain a tad and tighten things up.

Front tire will be a WTB Nano Raptor 2.1 and the rear will be a RK 2.2. I will ride the Nano while the weather is crappy and eventually pick up a second one. Once things dry out, I will be rolling on RK's front and rear.

Current weight with chain is 17.51 lbs. I can't believe how much lighter this chain is. The old chain was 308 grams and the new one is 229! I know I posted that the bike was 17.01 the other day but after weighing it 3 different times and taking the average, I guess it was just slightly off the other day. I am banking on my tires coming in right around 3 lbs. Reported weights for the tires is 595 for the WTB and 640 for the RK. Of course I will weigh them before installing and then there are the tubes. Should still be right at 21 lbs!

Attachments

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Until it gets tires, I'm saying it is still a 26" bike. Did you buy a new WB fork? I picked one up on craigslist last week and I'm impressed with how light they are...

I have a similar build in my garage for fireroads and commuting, but it is on ice until I can find wheels.

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for disgracing the XTR cranks by putting them on a Moto. But perhaps if you looked back in history you would know that Moto was once a well named brand made in France. My first road bike was a hand welded steel Moto back in 1986 or so.

I have not gotten a new fork yet. I set if up just like the GT so far. I will give it a shot and then make the decision. I can say that the front end already feels higher because of the geo but haven't been able to ride it yet.

Wheels are VXC w/ WI hubs

·
I like dirt
38 Posts
Before you built it, did you happen to weigh just the frame. I have been looking for a new lighter ss frame...one without a ebb. This might be an affordable alternative.

·
3,707 Posts
1SPD said:
I have not gotten a new fork yet. I set if up just like the GT so far. I will give it a shot and then make the decision. I can say that the front end already feels higher because of the geo but haven't been able to ride it yet.
That 26" WB fork has more clearance than my Reba 29!

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
p nut said:
That 26" WB fork has more clearance than my Reba 29!
seeing it sitting right now with no tires on it, I am sure I won't have a clearance issue. The question is going to be the steering angle. But I like it quick and rode it with my GT that came with a longer fork on it and loved it so I might just get lucky.

Only a few more hours until the tires should arrive. the down side is that everything is a frickn mud pool around us right now. We have had a couple of really warm days so the snow has melted which is a good thing. But the ground has also thawed out and pretty much turned everything into a swamp around here.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
1SPD said:
Sorry for disgracing the XTR cranks by putting them on a Moto. But perhaps if you looked back in history you would know that Moto was once a well named brand made in France. My first road bike was a hand welded steel Moto back in 1986 or so.

Wheels are VXC w/ WI hubs
FWIW the bikes and frames sold by bikesdirect have no relation to that old company; bikesdirect simply chose this name to put on their product that has some good history too it and either had no trademark protection in the US or they were able to cheaply purchase the rights to the name

I wouldn't run something that steep for aggressive trails, but for XC use it sounds pretty fun. Nothing quite like a bike that you almost have to hold back from turning too quickly. The accepted norm tends towards more stable setups, but some companies like OS Bikes have sold some very steep setups too

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
1SPD said:
If it steers wonky, let me know. I have a 465 a-c (I think) in the garage and I got it really cheap, so I'd be a good person to swap with...

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,350 Posts
She's a good looker. 1SPD, I want to thank you for ID-ing your bike by the brand name on the frame and not by the retailer /e-tailer / individual / reseller / online search function / whatever / wherever / whomever you purchased it from.

I wholeheartedly support what you're doing here. Hope you bust the 20# barrier.

--sParty

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.