Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing for the upcoming dark season.

The last two years I have been using 2 / 10w 6v halogens on the bars overvolted with a 6.0Ah 7.4v Lion Battery from Batteryspace. This setup gave me almost twice the light output to the original 6v battery. The lights are individually switched so it's 1 light up and 2 lights down. My bars mounts will not work now that I put on big bars. Will have to think about mod's to fix this.

I also have a 5w halogen I use on the lid on occasion. This year I was thinking of going to a single HID on the lid, but recent UGI may can this idea. Also, bit nervous about riding with a single system out alone in da woods.

It's dark season now for many of you, what lights do you run for Glow Riding ?~?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
My GF and my riding buddy Adrian, just ordered a set of Sigma Evo & EvoX for me (late b-day present) .... that is a 10w and a 5w halogen.... since one can buy extra parts..I might get an extra 10w and battery to run one 10w on the helmet and a 10w and 5w on the bars.... I keep the 5w because the 10w is not street legal here..and the German police is tight on those things...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
All Mountain said:
RUserious ?~? You can't use 10w on road where auto lights are like what 50w :confused:
yeah..not for bikes... the StVZO (street traffic regulation org) rates the light output permitted, and the retailers indicate whether it is permitted or not.... of course, the cops can let it slip, just like when I run late from a ride with no lights, but they do have a ground to fine you.... so I will keep the 5w for the street ride to/from the trail and avoid a headache....

these are the ones I got.. http://www.bike-components.de/catalog/Mirage+Evo+Evo+X+Pro+Nipack+ohne+StVZO-Zulassung

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey folks,

Greetings from Ontario. Thanks to BikerBob, we have 'his and her' MLs since November and could not be happier with our bikes. :thumbsup:

Now that I am stepping out of my lurker mode, I'll have to get my butt in gear and post some pics and build specs...attached pictures have parts I took off my Fuel while I was still waiting for components and could not wait to ride the ML.

Back to the topic..

I use the Topeak MoonShine HID and really like it.

Excellent light output, light weight and ability to clip the battery right onto the stem cap are the features I like the most. It also comes with both helmet and handlebar mount in the box. Also included was a cover that slips over the light to cut down on glare should you be riding on the road.

MTBR review is here: http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/topeakmoonshine.shtml

On the bike:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
dobe_99 said:
Hey folks,

Greetings from Ontario. Thanks to BikerBob, we have 'his and her' MLs since November and could not be happier with our bikes. :thumbsup:

Now that I am stepping out of my lurker mode, I'll have to get my butt in gear and post some pics and build specs...attached pictures have parts I took off my Fuel while I was still waiting for components and could not wait to ride the ML.

Back to the topic..

Excellent light output, light weight and ability to clip the battery right onto the stem cap are the features I like the most. It also comes with both helmet and handlebar mount in the box. Also included was a cover that slips over the light to cut down on glare should you be riding on the road.

MTBR review is here: https://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/topeakmoonshine.shtml

That setup looks really nice and clean, dobe!!

Do you have any shots to give an idea of the light output?? (at the trail or backyard)

EDIT I just saw this pic on the review

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dobe_99 said:
Hey folks,

Back to the topic..

MTBR review is here: http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/topeakmoonshine.shtml

On the bike:
Stripping the Fuel for some stoke :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Welcome mate, lookin' forward to the photos and good oil :cool: :thumbsup: :cool:

Nice lumination, you out in the woods all by your lonesome ?~?

Cheers
AM

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I would just watch for those Tasmanian Devils if I was out on my own, they would make me fill my daks...............................

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Whafe said:
I would just watch for those Tasmanian Devils if I was out on my own, they would make me fill my daks...............................
I was thinking the same thing! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least ya'll irradicated those pesky Tasmanian tigers... Nicely done BTW. :thumbsup: ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.