Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Warrior
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the Titus website that none of their kits include an adjustable fork like the Fox Talus.

How well do you think the Moto-Lite would work with a 80-130 fork like the Talus? Would it screw up the geometry and handling?

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Tobman said:
I noticed on the Titus website that none of their kits include an adjustable fork like the Fox Talus.

How well do you think the Moto-Lite would work with a 80-130 fork like the Talus? Would it screw up the geometry and handling?
Well considering you can dial the travel anywhere from 90-130, I think it would be a great fit. Adjustable travel forks seem like a perfect fit for an adjustable travel bike.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,686 Posts
Jdub said:
Well considering you can dial the travel anywhere from 90-130, I think it would be a great fit. Adjustable travel forks seem like a perfect fit for an adjustable travel bike.
When I checked back in January, their custom kit allowed for a Talas. I got a 2004 Talas RL on my Moto-lite and love it. It's perfect. I usually dial it to about 116-119 (3-4 clicks). Some users went for the Reba, although that would be a bit more limiting on the downhill.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Works great

I demoed a Moto-Lite a few weeks ago with a TALAS, and will be picking up my new Moto-Lite on Saturday with a TALAS. While I'm sure I won't be adjusting it as much as I did while playing around on the demo, it's definitely a feature I wouldn't give up. It's really easy to drop down to 100mm for some climbing, then dial it out to get back down the hill. Even if you were to leave it alone during everyday rides, if you ever change the rear travel it's nice to be able to set up the front to match.

You could probably intentionally set it up so that the geometry was bad for a particular purpose, like using min travel downhill, or max uphill, but that's your choice with this fork.

Maybe Titus doesn't list the fork with their kits to keep the price down?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
2of3 pictures on the ML portion of the titus website has the ML with the Talas fork. I called Titus before buying my fork seeking advice. They clearly advised Talas. I asked about the Reba and they deemed that as a second or third choice.
I went with the Talas fork on the ML and like it.

I went with the Reba team fork on my rx100 and like it there as well. I really like the poplock on the Reba. I DONT like the travel adjust; way too many turns per 10mm of change. The Talas is 1 click per 3mm. The Reba is 3 clicks per 2mm. That means, more than 1 click to change 1mm. Way too fine of an adjustment. I have to turn that sucker 3-4 turns each time i change travel. The Talas is more like 1-2 turns.

If the Reba went upto 130mm or close to it, i might have bought it for the ML. At 115mm, it ends up to be too short.

Both are great forks that i would buy again.

my 2c.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,686 Posts
rensho said:
2of3 pictures on the ML portion of the titus website has the ML with the Talas fork. I called Titus before buying my fork seeking advice. They clearly advised Talas. I asked about the Reba and they deemed that as a second or third choice.
I went with the Talas fork on the ML and like it.

I went with the Reba team fork on my rx100 and like it there as well. I really like the poplock on the Reba. I DONT like the travel adjust; way too many turns per 10mm of change. The Talas is 1 click per 3mm. The Reba is 3 clicks per 2mm. That means, more than 1 click to change 1mm. Way too fine of an adjustment. I have to turn that sucker 3-4 turns each time i change travel. The Talas is more like 1-2 turns.

If the Reba went upto 130mm or close to it, i might have bought it for the ML. At 115mm, it ends up to be too short.

Both are great forks that i would buy again.

my 2c.
Actually, if he's really patient, RS will come out with new forks in the Talas travel range for the 2006 model year.

·
Registered
907 Posts
zorg said:
Actually, if he's really patient, RS will come out with new forks in the Talas travel range for the 2006 model year.
There is also the Pike, with 95mm to 140mm of travel, although it is a bit heavier being coil sprung (4.75 lb to 4.95 lb). This would probably be a good choice if you are setting the bike up as a 5" agressive trail bike, since the fork has a bit more travel than the TALAS, and should be a bit stiffer with its 20mm thru-axle hub.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Tobman said:

Sure is would work great. The Talas can be tuned anywhere between 90 to 130mm so you can set it to whatever you consider to be the appropriate geometry for the bike and your style.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
pike air

VT Mike said:
There is also the Pike, with 95mm to 140mm of travel, although it is a bit heavier being coil sprung (4.75 lb to 4.95 lb). This would probably be a good choice if you are setting the bike up as a 5" agressive trail bike, since the fork has a bit more travel than the TALAS, and should be a bit stiffer with its 20mm thru-axle hub.
There's also the Pike Air, the team version comes in at 3.95 lbs for 140mm, but it's not externally adjustable like the coil. You can convert between 130 and 140 with an included spacer kit. The feel of it is supposed to be really great though... Could almost buy a coil pike and an air pike (race versions) for the cost of a Talas RLC (although I have a Talas and really like it, my next bike has the pike race on it though)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.