Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Titus people,

I've been considering buying a Titus for a while now and looking forward to the purchase of one very soon this year. Went from a SB to RX100 and now to the Moto-Lite. Anyways, I currently ride a custom Giant VT1 and like the trail type capabilities of the bike but as I'm aware, it is still a single pivot design. Now I haven't really checked out a Titus Moto-Lite yet but It seems to share the same suspension design as the Racer X, but with more travel (4-5" Adj.) If so, I guess this would be my better choice if I'm looking for a lighter all around trail bike with at least 5" of travel that I can race occasionaly on say a 5-10 men 24hr. Race, yeah? BTW, I was thinking of running the 4-way Swinger shock with this bike too. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
You are going to be happy with a Titus

Anything Titus product (Blade, RX, or Motolite) is going to be better than the VT. I had a VT1 and loved it. Built up a switchblade just as a side project for something my brother could ride when he was in town. After only two rides on the Blade the VT1 was relegated to the back of the garage. I actually rode the VT once before I sold it. It was ok but no where near as stable or as tight as the Switchblade (there is no comparision between the Fox fork and the Psylo). I felt like a king on the blade compared to the VT. I haven't had any experience on the RX but the Motolite is a good bike. I've ridden a small Motolite (girlfriends-not the right size for me) and a medium and I would be quite happy with one. Am sometimes tempted to go that route but I just love the Switchblade.

Chris
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,626 Posts
2X2MTB said:
Hey Titus people,

I've been considering buying a Titus for a while now and looking forward to the purchase of one very soon this year. Went from a SB to RX100 and now to the Moto-Lite. Anyways, I currently ride a custom Giant VT1 and like the trail type capabilities of the bike but as I'm aware, it is still a single pivot design. Now I haven't really checked out a Titus Moto-Lite yet but It seems to share the same suspension design as the Racer X, but with more travel (4-5" Adj.) If so, I guess this would be my better choice if I'm looking for a lighter all around trail bike with at least 5" of travel that I can race occasionaly on say a 5-10 men 24hr. Race, yeah? BTW, I was thinking of running the 4-way Swinger shock with this bike too. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
ML is a great all around light bike. Depending on your build, it weighs between mid 26s to mid 29 lbs. Geometry wise, the difference between an ML the RX is pretty small (1 degree head angle), and the weight difference is about 1/2 lb. Basically, the ML can be set up as a racer one week-end, and as a light enduro the next. That's the versatility that hooked me in. Now, if you're set on one, you might want to order soon, since the waiting list is a few months. Just be aware of the chainstay limitation and workaround (check other threads in the forum).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
Motolite

I've been looking at the Motolite for a while and with the wider clearence swingarm and the lower (than other customs) price it looks great. The only thing I see about the bike that makes me hesitate is the HA , like the switchblade the ML is 1 to 1.5 degrees steeper than I like at 71.5 but if that doesn't bother you it's a fantastic option.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,626 Posts
slowrider said:
I've been looking at the Motolite for a while and with the wider clearence swingarm and the lower (than other customs) price it looks great. The only thing I see about the bike that makes me hesitate is the HA , like the switchblade the ML is 1 to 1.5 degrees steeper than I like at 71.5 but if that doesn't bother you it's a fantastic option.
According to Titus website, the HA is 70.5 on the ML, 71 on the RX 100. Maybe somebody smarter than me can tell whether the HA is really 70.5 with a Talas fork. To me, it feels slacker than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Mine runs right around 70 degrees with the TALAS set up at 100-105 mm.

My R-X 100 has a 71 degree HA.

But there's more difference between the bikes than just that. The R-X is much more responsive in every than the M-L. Pedaling (even in the 4" mode), steering, climbing, jumping, etc. Don't get me wrong the M-L is a great bike and a blast to ride, I just wouldn't want to try to race it. When I'm goofing around in the alley, the M-L feels downright sluggish after getting off the Racer-X.

To me, the bottom line is this: if you want to go fast, get the R-X. If you just want to ride for fun, want plushness, and/or need a higher BB for really technical terrain, go for the Moto-Lite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moto-Lite it is...

Well, it really seems like the Moto Lite will be the better choice for me since it'll spend most of it's time on trail rides. If I race it, it'll be maybe 2-3 times a year and basically for fun. I'm personally drawn more to trail bikes than XC bikes only because of the travel advantages when it come to some of my rides. I'd love to have one of each but if there's a bike that can help me achieve a bit of both worlds then the Moto-Lite I'm sure will do for me. Also, considering the fact that I won't have to spend an extra 500-1000 for an Intense, Turner, Ellsworth or whatever... Titus really has a b!tch3n product at a fraction of most of the competition's cost. BTW... I guess I'd be running my Minute (130mm) fork which should give me the 69 degree angle... figuring the Talas is a 130mm also, right? Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
2X2MTB said:
figuring the Talas is a 130mm also, right? Thanks guys.
Right you are, the '05 Talas is adjustable up to 130 mm.

You're going to love the ML. I'm not quite dialed in after only two rides, but I already know I made a great decision in going w/ the ML. The tough part will be the wait, but it's worth it.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,626 Posts
Ski-U-Mah said:
Right you are, the '05 Talas is adjustable up to 130 mm.

You're going to love the ML. I'm not quite dialed in after only two rides, but I already know I made a great decision in going w/ the ML. The tough part will be the wait, but it's worth it.
Actually, if he waits long enough, the 2006 forks will be released by the time his frame . I read that Fox is supposed to release a Talas with only 3 set positions for a faster change in travel. I have no idea if it's true or not, but that could be nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
zorg said:
Actually, if he waits long enough, the 2006 forks will be released by the time his frame . I read that Fox is supposed to release a Talas with only 3 set positions for a faster change in travel. I have no idea if it's true or not, but that could be nice.
Now that'd be nice. I'm basically "set it & forget it" kind of guy, but I might use the adjustable feature if I could quickly clamp it down to 4" mode with one turn of the knob.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top