Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to the latest Moto-Lite review:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride_Full_Suspension/product_124936.shtml

Thre problem issues identified with the Moto-Lite frame. Most have been covered in various threads on this forum.
Any comments?
Would be interested if Titus will make some small changes to their frames for 2006?
Always good to buy a product in its second or third year of production I guess..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
goatman said:
Here is a link to the latest Moto-Lite review:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride_Full_Suspension/product_124936.shtml

Thre problem issues identified with the Moto-Lite frame. Most have been covered in various threads on this forum.
Any comments?
Would be interested if Titus will make some small changes to their frames for 2006?
Always good to buy a product in its second or third year of production I guess..
thats lame. I love people that complain about problems they don't have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ride..then review!!!

demo_slug said:
thats lame. I love people that complain about problems they don't have.
Pretty lame review if the reviewer never even rode the bike!
A good review should even include a ride on the bike ;-)
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
goatman said:
Pretty lame review if the reviewer never even rode the bike!
A good review should even include a ride on the bike ;-)
Wow I'm so stupid! I'm sitting here like an idiot because I actually loved the bike before I read that. But then again I was going by how the bike rode"STUPID! STUPID!" Well somebody had to make sure it didn't get the(highest review). Good thing he's on the job.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,634 Posts
goatman said:
Here is a link to the latest Moto-Lite review:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride_Full_Suspension/product_124936.shtml

Thre problem issues identified with the Moto-Lite frame. Most have been covered in various threads on this forum.
Any comments?
Would be interested if Titus will make some small changes to their frames for 2006?
Always good to buy a product in its second or third year of production I guess..
Cabling is a non-issue. The swingarm has already been addressed via the Supermoto chainstay. Well, some people like to b!tch. :)
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
While i agree with his 3 issues, he's seems kind of a wanker.

1. Without riding a bike for some time on trails, one should not evaluate a bike/frame. Wanker move.
2. To devalue the rating of a bike from 5chilis to 3chillis for 3 minor issues, 2 of which have nothing to do with how it rides...Tell tale wanker move.
3. While he may build bikes, he perhaps has never built a Turner. That cable routing sucks.

Yes, it appears to me that Titus should:
1. Countersink the rr der hole. I have hit my cassette several times on bike setup on both my RX and ML.
2. The ft der cable stop is too high on the frame. Has been on several models, and continues with this one.
3. Wider stays, and taller chainstay arch should be the norm. Going fwd, i'm sure it will be. Frankly, Titus' excuse for FR stays being 75g more is a lame one. They should change the design of the current RX/ML/SB chainstay to be a little wider, without going to the FR unit.
I know the frame was designed for skinner tires. I accept that.
Going fwd, Titus hopefully will change the design, and get rid of this overwhelming wart to an otherwise great frame. At least allow the customer to choose wider stays at no extra cost.

The rest of the cable routing on the Titus is quite good and very clean. I ziptie the rr brake and rr der cable at the rr shock, loosely. This way, as the sus does its work, the cables don't rub on the swing link and fray.
Titus should also consider going to no cable stops at all, just ziptie holders. The era of full housing is here, and it is way better.

5 Chilis!
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
goatman said:
Here is a link to the latest Moto-Lite review:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride_Full_Suspension/product_124936.shtml

Thre problem issues identified with the Moto-Lite frame. Most have been covered in various threads on this forum.
Any comments?
Would be interested if Titus will make some small changes to their frames for 2006?
Always good to buy a product in its second or third year of production I guess..
It is good to wait, and wait, and wait...
You'll be missing out on a yr of riding the great ML, for 1 semi real issue, and 2 very nit picky ones.

The review would have been more credible if he owned up to the fact that other comparable frames have their own build up issues. For example:
Turner rr brakes and der cables: If you want to run the cleaner route, you thread the cables through the seat arch. Fine with V brakes, but who runs Vs on a Turner? 6 people in this world? Ok, there are those mech discs... The rest run hydro discs. That means, the build up would require a rr hydro disconnect, and full bleed. Which WAY sucks. Since most new frames built by non-shops, are built in a hurry, and sometimes late at night(you know who you are), the hydro line gets put off and routed outside the seat arch as a 'temporary' measure...
There's a great qoute i heard a while back. "Some of the most permanent things in life began as temporary measures."

On the ML avail. If the shop doesn't have it in stock now, i hear the next shipment from Titus is not until Aug.
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
nice

rensho said:
While i agree with his 3 issues, he's seems kind of a wanker.

1. Without riding a bike for some time on trails, one should not evaluate a bike/frame. Wanker move.
2. To devalue the rating of a bike from 5chilis to 3chillis for 3 minor issues, 2 of which have nothing to do with how it rides...Tell tale wanker move.
3. While he may build bikes, he perhaps has never built a Turner. That cable routing sucks.

Yes, it appears to me that Titus should:
1. Countersink the rr der hole. I have hit my cassette several times on bike setup on both my RX and ML.
2. The ft der cable stop is too high on the frame. Has been on several models, and continues with this one.
3. Wider stays, and taller chainstay arch should be the norm. Going fwd, i'm sure it will be. Frankly, Titus' excuse for FR stays being 75g more is a lame one. They should change the design of the current RX/ML/SB chainstay to be a little wider, without going to the FR unit.
I know the frame was designed for skinner tires. I accept that.
Going fwd, Titus hopefully will change the design, and get rid of this overwhelming wart to an otherwise great frame. At least allow the customer to choose wider stays at no extra cost.

The rest of the cable routing on the Titus is quite good and very clean. I ziptie the rr brake and rr der cable at the rr shock, loosely. This way, as the sus does its work, the cables don't rub on the swing link and fray.
Titus should also consider going to no cable stops at all, just ziptie holders. The era of full housing is here, and it is way better.

5 Chilis!
Thanks for the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,066 Posts
My comments.
I've only had a handfull of rides and I am still trying to figure out the best cable routing. Run through the swing link looks tidy when not riding but when the shock is significantly compressed - the housing bulges out sideways into the link and into the toptube. The best way to check is to depressurize your shock to see where the cable goes. I am going to try and route the RD and RB housing outside the swinglink so maybe when the shock compressed the cable extends upwards. It should mean just a bit of frame saver on the toptube. All you need to do is take a couple of bolts out of the swinglink and no need to rebleed. I'll also try Renshos ziptie to see if that tidies things up a bit.

Rensho are you sure your FD cable stop it too high ? I checked mine, you cant lower it anymore or it would hit the seatstay brace at full compression

I think full housing should be run on this bike since the 2 cable stops near the shock only saves about 4 inches of housing. Titus might as well only run a single set of ziptie stops under the shock instead.

or they could move the FD cable stop further back on the toptube and tidy up that area a bit.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,634 Posts
Got my new swingarm last night!!

That sucker is nice!!! It has tons of clearance. I did not have time to mount it yet (more accurately, I was too mechanically inept to know how to remove my crank...). Anyway, I checked it against my Motoraptor 2.24, and clearance shall not be an issue. :) Interestingly, I noticed that my current narrow swingarm has some tire rub mark from my 2.1 Weirwolf.

Current plan is to mount it this week, and try it out this week-end. This will make this bike near perfect (at least to me).

Props again to Titus for their customer service.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Moto-Lite is a superstar

The rear tire clearance is the only issue I could see for a trail bike. And Titus is planning on improving that with future production runs, and an alternative chain stay is available now.

I did a review in "What bikes to buy" forum a few days ago.

There are no riding weaknesses for a 4 or 5 inch travel trail bike. Very few other bikes can compare in weight and performance. Add the price factor and the Moto-Lite rules 5-inch travel trail bike value today.

- ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
derby said:
The rear tire clearance is the only issue I could see for a trail bike. And Titus is planning on improving that with future production runs, and an alternative chain stay is available now.

I did a review in "What bikes to buy" forum a few days ago.

There are no riding weaknesses for a 4 or 5 inch travel trail bike. Very few other bikes can compare in weight and performance. Add the price factor and the Moto-Lite rules 5-inch travel trail bike value today.

- ray
Ray, I happened to notice your 575/Moto-Lite review (nice review btw). I also noticed that you currently ride a Tracer. I've been riding a Tracer for the past 5 years and am waiting for my LBS to finish building up my ML. Since I've yet to actually ride the ML, I'm curious to hear your impressions regarding the ML vs. the Tracer.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Ski-U-Mah said:
Ray, I happened to notice your 575/Moto-Lite review (nice review btw). I also noticed that you currently ride a Tracer. I've been riding a Tracer for the past 5 years and am waiting for my LBS to finish building up my ML. Since I've yet to actually ride the ML, I'm curious to hear your impressions regarding the ML vs. the Tracer.
Well it's really nice having more usable travel with the same weight. The steering is a little slower on the ML than the Tracer, but perfectly tuned for the ML's longer travel. I didn't try the 4 inch travel mode on the ML, I hear it is quicker steering.

I have the feeling that the Tracer's braking rear traction modulation is slightly better than the ML, but my Tracer's mechanical Avid disc w/ EBC Green pads modulation ability doesn't compare very evenly to the demo ML's hydralic (Magura or Hayes wave rotor) disc more on-off feel.

The ML is a big step forward in trail bike value considering the price and performance.

I'd rather ride the ML than the Tracer or 5-Spot or any other 5 inch travel bike, and it has the 4 inch option!

- ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
demo_slug said:
thats lame. I love people that complain about problems they don't have.
should be tossed, the guy is giving 3 chiles for issues that are just irrelevant. And once again one can ride a 2.25" tire in the back, which is BIG for a rear tire on a 4-5" all-mountain. I don't even understand what is the problem with cable routing: it is one of the cleanest i have seen and worked perfectly.

My short review of the motolite was posted a few days later, it is short because the bike is just great, i could not find a problem with it :)
 

·
ಠ_ಠ
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
negative review of ML in product reviews got dropped

Here is a link to the latest Moto-Lite review:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freerid...ct_124936.shtml

For those that remember the negative review (3 chilies) from the guy that built his friend's Moto-lite got dropped recently. I thought he had some valid points, but I guess the fact the fact he admitted to never having ridden the bike, and that his friend, the actual owner would have given it a 5 out of 5, made them toss it.

I wonder if Titus had anything to do with the decision. Seems the mountain biking world, like most things, has a lot of politicking.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
dulyebr said:
...For those that remember the negative review (3 chilies) from the guy that built his friend's Moto-lite got dropped recently. I thought he had some valid points, but I guess the fact the fact he admitted to never having ridden the bike, and that his friend, the actual owner would have given it a 5 out of 5, made them toss it.

I wonder if Titus had anything to do with the decision. Seem the mountain biking world, like most things, has a lot of politicking.
Posting guidelines on every review entry page:

Review Guidelines
Before submitting your review, please follow these guidelines.
Otherwise, your review may be deleted for quality purposes.

* You've written at least 50 words.
* Your review is detailed and specific. Who should buy it, who shouldn't?
* You actually own or have used the product you're reviewing.
* You've submitted only one review per product.
* Your review contains no insults or attacks on other reviewers.
* You've checked your spelling.
Honestly, I doubt Titus even saw the review. They are too busy selling frames and bikes.
 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
I think they should have kept that post. Ok, I think that the cable routing wasn't a real issue, but it's something. And while I like to run 2.0 or 2.1 tires in the rear, the Moto Lite limitation to 2.25 may be an issuee to some riders.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
I think they should have kept that post. Ok, I think that the cable routing wasn't a real issue, but it's something. And while I like to run 2.0 or 2.1 tires in the rear, the Moto Lite limitation to 2.25 may be an issuee to some riders.
Then you should write a review, listing the pros and cons of the product. You are entitled to do so because you actually own one. If they kept all the reviews from second hand sources and not the actual owner, they wouldn't be worth the disc drive space they were written on. Someone who owns the product is in a much better position to describe the issues and the big grins. So go for it, let every one know what you like and don't like.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top