Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Warrior
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an all-mountain bike that is also designed for some x-c racing, including short 1-2 hour technical races with lots of ups and downs (Colorado), as well as maybe one 24-hour relay per year.

I am 6'1", 160 lbs, 40+ and race recreationally (4-8 races per year). But I do not want a race-specific bike, I want one that is a great, all around x-c bike.

Obviously the Moto-Lite is one of the top choices. Just wondering if you all have any opinions about how it would compare to the following (sorry my list of potentials is rather long):

Rocky Mountain ETSX-70
Santa Cruz Blur
Ellsworth Truth
Iron-Horse Azure or MKIII
Hammerhead HH100
Intense 5.5
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti 575

·
Paper or plastic?
10,743 Posts
Tobman said:
I am looking for an all-mountain bike that is also designed for some x-c racing, including short 1-2 hour technical races with lots of ups and downs (Colorado), as well as maybe one 24-hour relay per year.

I am 6'1", 160 lbs, 40+ and race recreationally (4-8 races per year). But I do not want a race-specific bike, I want one that is a great, all around x-c bike.

Obviously the Moto-Lite is one of the top choices. Just wondering if you all have any opinions about how it would compare to the following (sorry my list of potentials is rather long):

Rocky Mountain ETSX-70
Santa Cruz Blur
Ellsworth Truth
Hammerhead HH100
Intense 5.5
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti 575
You're casting a pretty wide net there, aren't you? :) I haven't ridden any of the aforementioned bikes (except for the ML) so I can't comment directly. I'll just say this: you can build a ML around 26-27lbs for a XC oriented bike and around 28-29 lbs for a more enduro bike. It's also quite versatile, nimble and still plush with the 5" travel.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
How about a Blur with a RP3 rear shock and a Fox Talas fork? This would offer a pretty plush ride with the fork raked out to 120+mm and the RP3 in full plush mode, or a racier feel and snapier handling in 100mm mode and full ProPedal.

The bike would be reasonably light, pedal well (including out of the saddle if necessary), and give you a lot of versatility that you are looking for.

I'm a Turner guy (have an XCE), but I'm not sure that you would get the versatility that you seek with either a Turner Flux or a 5-Spot.

Edit:
Other comments on your choices:
RM ETSX- rented one for a day and wasn't impressed at all. Bike bobbed quite a bit despite mulitple shock setups and jacked under braking.

Yeti 575- Rocking bike! I love this bike. It's light, pedals well, uber plush, and looks to have excellent contruction. Only reservation for your application is the somewhat slower handling (or more stable), and less efficient out of the saddle performance (if that's important to you).

HH100x- I've owned a mac stut bike before and it pedaled very well and was really light weight, but it was far more harsh in the rough stuff compared to my XCE's 4-bar.

5-Spot- See comments in main paragraph (and most Yeti comments).

Truth- Lacks travel and I have long-term durability and warranty concerns with the company. Racier geometry for an 'All Mountain' type bike.

·
Warrior
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. It is a wide net, however, if you really look at the design objectives of each of those bikes, they are all all-mountain bikes that are closer to the x-c end of the spectrum than a light free-ride bike, and most have the ability to adjust (as in Fox Talus, RP3, as well as how the whole bike is built up). Most are in the 26-28lb range.

I am leaning towards the Titus ML, Santa Cruz Blur or ETSX.

BikerX40 - I am surprised at your response to the ETSX - I have heard very few negative reviews of the bike, numerous rave reviews of it, and none saying it bobs a lot. I rode it myself and felt it was pretty tight in the rear in and out of the saddle (as best one can tell riding on the flats and pavement). I wonder it your experience was because it was not set up properly for you, in terms of sag and what not. Also, if you are used to a hard tail or rather stiff rear, most fs' are going to feel at least slightly bobby, IMHO.

·
Let's ride
7,094 Posts
Tobman said:

Rocky Mountain ETSX-70
Santa Cruz Blur
Ellsworth Truth
Hammerhead HH100
Intense 5.5
Turner 5 Spot
Yeti 575
This is against my Titus better judgement, but have you looked at the Turner Burner? Turner is closing them out at $650 right now, from them directly. Obviously sizes are very limited. Supergo might have more sizes, but they are $799 IIRC.

·
I can't ride 45!
1,157 Posts
rensho said:
This is against my Titus better judgement, but have you looked at the Turner Burner? Turner is closing them out at $650 right now, from them directly. Obviously sizes are very limited. Supergo might have more sizes, but they are $799 IIRC.
How would I get more info on the Burners and what sizes are available? I check their store and it was all soft goods and small parts.

jason

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Tobman said:
BikerX40 - I am surprised at your response to the ETSX - I have heard very few negative reviews of the bike, numerous rave reviews of it, and none saying it bobs a lot. I rode it myself and felt it was pretty tight in the rear in and out of the saddle (as best one can tell riding on the flats and pavement). I wonder it your experience was because it was not set up properly for you, in terms of sag and what not. Also, if you are used to a hard tail or rather stiff rear, most fs' are going to feel at least slightly bobby, IMHO.
Tobman, I was very surprised as well. In fact, the reason I rented it was because I had heard that it was supposed to pedal like a VPP, etc. To be fair, this was the ETSX 50 with the SID rear shock. I think that it might have been a 2003 or 2004 model? My Turner XCE was having the rear shock tuned by Push, so I didn't have my bike at the time- rental was my only option while up in Sun Valley.

I actually set up the sag in the parking lot and had everything set to my liking. Once out on the trail, I immediately noticed the bob and pedal feedback while using the granny. I even stopped several times to dial in the negative pressure on the SID rear shock to no avail (went with lower neg pressure to give it some 'platform' of sorts). Maybe a RP3 rear shock or something more advance would do a better job. The pedal feedback would still be present though, and this bothered me on steep technical climbs where the suspension would cause you to slip out easily.

I was a bit suprised about the downhill ability. The suspension does a fantastic job absorbing square-edge hits, but it seemed to pitch me forward way more than my XCE does under similar conditions (in fact on that same trail later in the year). I stopped on the descent and sped up the rebound on the fork to full fast to prevent it from packing down, and even slowed the rear rebound a little to make it more tolerable.

Anyway, that's just my .02 about it. I've owned many different suspension designs, and this one seemed to most closely resemble a high single-pivot to me.

Flame suit on:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
El Saltemontes?

Have you considered Ventana?
The new El Salts are worth looking into.
Great craftsmanship, excellent customer service, light, strong, adjustable travel...
They even do custom work for a small increase in price.
I am however biased by my new salt.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,743 Posts
Tobman said:
Thanks for the comments. It is a wide net, however, if you really look at the design objectives of each of those bikes, they are all all-mountain bikes that are closer to the x-c end of the spectrum than a light free-ride bike, and most have the ability to adjust (as in Fox Talus, RP3, as well as how the whole bike is built up). Most are in the 26-28lb range.

I am leaning towards the Titus ML, Santa Cruz Blur or ETSX.

BTW, if you're looking at the Blur, they're coming out with a long travel version on 6/1/05. Looks pretty cool on the website. A friend of mine had an ETSX. He liked it but thought that the top tube was kind of short and he felt cramped on it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I own 5 Spot + a Burner,the spot is a fun bike to ride but if i was to race i would use the Burner as it feels faster on the climbs.If you are not in to big drops then the burner is a good allround bike,if i was to have just one Turner i would go for the Flux,it feels more racier but is plush for a 4"travel bike.I used to have a RM etsx it just does not compare to the Turners + they do snap.Try and test as many as you can and good look.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,001 Posts
jasonb said:
How would I get more info on the Burners and what sizes are available? I check their store and it was all soft goods and small parts.

jason
Call Turner directly. TurnerBikes posted this on the Turner forum a couple days ago, but I think they are mostly XL frames that Turner has left.

·
I can't ride 45!
1,157 Posts
Jdub said:
Call Turner directly. TurnerBikes posted this on the Turner forum a couple days ago, but I think they are mostly XL frames that Turner has left.
Cool, I gave them a ring. I am looking for a light FS frame for my son who is 12. The Burner would rock but an XL wouldn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.