Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just built up a brand new Moto 1 demo bike in a medium. As you can see the weight is quite impressive for a 160mm travel bike, and that was after the XTR cranks and XO derailleur were replace with a SRAM GXP and X9 (no point in having expensive easily damaged items on a demo!). I did not like the look of the green in pictures, but when you see it in person it is a lot better, kind of like Kawasaki racing green. All I have had a chance to do is pedal it around the parking lot, it pedalled well and suspension certainly feels really plush. I am taking it with me this weekend for a trip to Flagstaff/Sedona for a proper intro to mountain biking.
According to the rep Cannondale are testing an alloy framed version. I am thinking that this would be a great play bike for bike parks and super technical rides. The Moto Carbon 2 and 3 seem to be better value to me, and they have parts that are more affordable to replace if you are riding this bike as it should be ridden.
I will give a ride report and some more pics after this weekend, but for now here are some pics of the finished bike, linkage and weight.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
LUCKY!!! I'm sure you'll give us a full report after Flagstaff...

"According to the rep Cannondale are testing an alloy framed version"

Sweet!!! New Plan: My son gets my Prophet, and I gets me an alloy Moto!!
Don't suppose the gave any indication on prices for alloy moto's?
("Alloy Moto" has a nice ring to it, say it three times fast)

·
Registered
577 Posts
what? 14.36kgs really isn't that light imo, even though one can save a lot on the crank. Oh well, i guess my bike isn't that heavy after all at roughly a bit over 15.. (though that one has lost some weight recently without it being reweighed ;) And yes, the green does look much better in those pictures than on cannondale.com, more like commencals team line this year which looks really flashy and nice

·
Registered
577 Posts
well, that says more about your prophets than the moto imo :devil: hehehe

well, no seriously i just thought it was going to be lighter. oh well. My prophet is lighter than that, though i'm not sure how much.

·
Registered
98 Posts
14+ kg for a bike that can fit a Fox 36 and similar is quite light imo. Remember, the frame also can take big drops without a rider weight limit - I believe.

But without those capabilities, 14,36 kg is not that light.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of the weight is in the components, but if you look at the video on Cannondale's website and see the kind of riding the Moto is capable of running super light components makes no sense. I already think some of the parts on the Moto 1 are on the light side of what I would want of a bike of that capability.

Kevin

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When the alloy moto reaches production it will be Made in USA from what I have been told, and the price will probably be close to a grand less than the lowest Carbon bike. One point about the Carbon Moto is that although the frame is moulded overseas, the swingarm, linkage and all prep, painting and assembly are in the US plant. The only bikes that never see the US factory for any assembly are the CO2 bikes. They come from the West Coast, and the boxes are different.
I will probably look into the Moto in alloy as well, the rocks in the technical riding out here would be harsh on a Carbon frame when the inevitable crash comes, and I wouldnt be too worried it it weighed in at 35 vs 34lbs.......

Kevin

·
Registered
577 Posts
eh, what video are you refering to? None of the ones i have seen makes the moto that ore capable than a prophet or a mx perhaps. Dunno.

14kgs with a sensible build, like the one above has, is very good, just not astoundingly light (which was what i kinda expected - and my what is light take on the world has seen a shift the last few days after i've gotten a scalpel (not that i'm ever going to ride that one in place of my prophet or commencal supreme)). Really nice specs imo though, and it looks crazy fun. I would love to try one.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I would most closely compare the Moto to the Prophet MX with the thru axle rear and an ability to function as a slopestyle type bike. I would say that the Moto's clear advantage over a Prophet MX would be in stiffness and a better shock rate with the linkage rather than weight.
If you were to compare it versus say a Ibis Mojo SL then the Moto obviously has a different intended use, you arent going to get a sub 5lb frame in a bike intended for catching air.

Kevin

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey, that thing's got Mountain King's on it!
I just put one on my Prophet last night!
I can't tell if they are really TUBELESS though - that graphic is too small (sarcasm)!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
But the graphics work, their new range of tires using the black chilli compound all have those graphics and look great, ride great too, I wouldn't even look twice if they had the old graphics on them. I think they had it like that on the proto tires and decided to keep it, besides, some people obviously need glasses at Conti.:cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.