Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a chance to get a really cheap Moto fr fork but wanted opinions 1st as I have no knowledge of this fork. I have a 97 SV 500 that it would go on if I got it. Just have the headshok mc60 on it now and understand that I'd prolly be doubling the weight (but also twice as much travel). I'm not a weight weenie so that does not bother me.

Just want some real world feedback not "I had a friend who new someone 10 years ago.....". Cost of maintenance, is it high maintenance (reliable), can you dial in a plush or progressive ride, that sorta stuff. LBS quoted me $150 (not including shipping) to send to the factory for a rebuild (worst case scenario).

Anyones thoughts are totally appreciated.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,264 Posts
I used to have a MOTO FR fork on my super V and it's a really plush and bombproof fork that's why cannondale used to spec their tandem bikes with MOTO's.
You would need to get a different headset and stem though as the MOTO requires a 1 1/8 headset.
Another thing to look out for is to get a MOTO FR fork that has some ISO disc tabs....some of the older ones didn't have those.
Only downside is that it is hard for a novice to maintenance this fork as it requires some special tools to remove the cartridges...You might also find it hard to find the right spring for your weight since it's no longer produced.
A spring from a 100mm Lefty might work.
Seal kit should be the same as for the older 70-80mm headshoks so no issues there.
I still have a new rubber boot set with air filter for the MOTO FR fork pm me if you're interested. :D
$150.- for an overhaul is kinda steep.....send it to Mendon as he is a true Headshok/Lefty expert mechanic in here and will be way cheaper than what your shop quoted you, I bet. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Went ahead and bought it for $50. It is in nearly perfect shape, just a couple small small scratches. Looks almost "off the shelf". Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
hey hey :) good to see you on the forums. good luck with the moto and the super v.

pm me about the mc60 :) i might be interested putting it on the f500.

and like posted above if it needs a rebuild pm mendoncyclesmith he is a c-dale suspension god!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks, glad to be here! Me an retro made a swap that worked well for both of us, hell-of-a guy. Hey I shot you an email earlier. I appreciate the offer joe (makin sure I could make some money on the deal, lol) but I must pass.

Retro, I'll let you know what's up with the mc60.

Seems like a great bunch here, better than some forums where they make you feel like a complete dumb shi* just for asking a basic question. Hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
270 Posts
autobon7 said:
Hey thanks, glad to be here! Me an retro made a swap that worked well for both of us, hell-of-a guy. Hey I shot you an email earlier. I appreciate the offer joe (makin sure I could make some money on the deal, lol) but I must pass.

Retro, I'll let you know what's up with the mc60.

Seems like a great bunch here, better than some forums where they make you feel like a complete dumb shi* just for asking a basic question. Hey, ya gotta start somewhere.
ahh shucks man nice to meet a fellow mtb'er (nice one at that) and yeah man we both got what we wanted :) and we'll for shure have to hook up a ride in the near future. i shot ya a e-mail back sounds like we're both modding our bikes out good times:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
autobon7 said:
That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Went ahead and bought it for $50. It is in nearly perfect shape, just a couple small small scratches. Looks almost "off the shelf". Thanks for your insight.
Autobon
Moto freerides are neat but not perfect.

I have worked on a bunch, including bearing and race replacements.

We currently have a Cannondale tandem with a Moto FR. These are real world experiences to look for, or prevent.

Springs are no longer available according to Cannondale.

The fork has been out of production since 2002(?)

Remove the oem fork boots and dust seals, order up two Lefty low profile when compressed boots and dust seals. These work far better than originals and won't slide up the lower tubes.

The fork takes some special tools to work on it. The castle tool is not a standard type nor Lefty type, you might start searching because without it she doesn't come apart.

You need this tool to remove the spring or damper cartridge. You also need a blue Park spanner to turn it

The springs are the type with a nested elastomer, these slastomers are to short and make the fork to soft initially and then to firm once it engages. After you are fully on the combined spring and elastomer the progression is not bad. This happens at about 50% of the available stroke

These elastomers are also very prone to failure, especially as they age. These are however the same as a regular headshok.

You'll also need the special castle tool, mentioned above, in order to lubricate the spring. When it runs dry, it will begin to wear away the lower legs ID. If you've been inside more modern forks, leftys included, you'll find some wrap the spring with heatshrink. This acts to minimize wear and give a smoother surface for the spring to slide. These don't have that and need constant attention to be certain the fork is not destroying itself.

The forks are also prone to having the triple clamps crack. Ours on the tandem has cracked but I was able to catch it early and blend it out. I inspect it every ride, and use eddy current inspection often to inspect for cracks not visible to the eye.

I did obtain a spare fork from a non tandem. It was no longer being used on account of a failed triple clamp. When I opened it to check which spring it had, that elastomer was shot.

The spare fork has given us a spare clamp, cartridge and a few other parts. I try to keep an eye out for more spares but am giving up once these are gone. Once done the tandem gets a new fork, in fact the Moto is in a corner resting while I do some testing on other brands.

Also, I'm not sure if Cannondale will still work on these. They may but if parts are scarce you might wind up with some other replacement for a small astronomical fee. If they'll rebuild for $150 that's not bad, not great but not bad.

Hope that helps.
BTW, don't part with your headshok to quickly, never hurts to have a bit of backup.

PK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.