Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1801 - 1820 of 3847 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
i put in an order for the green one late last night. paypal makes impulse buys way too easy. and i can always cancel the order if i change my mind between now and when they ship in june.
awesome, im just waiting on the new one to come out. to see how much. if its too expensive ill just buy the matt black bullseye and upgrade. hence i already got a set of 170/135 wheel. i just did a google search gravity alloy frames have 10yrs warranty . which is pretty good

·
Registered
445 Posts
Now they announce the Motobecane Sturgis

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle fork

MOTOBECANE STURGIS FAT BIKE:
This bike is right below the Night Train: 190mm rear; 150mm front; new Kenda Tire; custom Kinesis made frame; X9 and Hydro brakes; Bluto Ready.
The frame quality will be unsurpassed by any Fat Bike on the market! We are triple checking with Motobecane and will announce when we know exact pre-book price and delivery.

...Geo looks great again:
Size 15.5 17.5 19.0 21.0
Seat Tube Length, 394mm 445mm 483mm 533mm
Top Tube Length 576mm 603mm 625mm 650mm
Chainstay Length 455mm 455mm 455mm 455mm
Bottom Bracket Drop 60mm 60mm 60mm 60mm
Bottom Bracket Height 315mm 315mm 315mm 315mm
Head Tube Length 110mm 120mm 135mm 150mm
Head Tube Angle 70.5° 70.5° 70.5° 70.5°
Seat Tube Angle 73° 73° 73° 73°

We think this bike can take up to a 4.8" tire; but we will check samples when they arrive next month. We will also take and post lots of detail pictures when we start pre-sales.

STRUGIS will be priced to get many Fat Bike buyers into a top on the line setup without breaking the bank. Since this bike is clearly equal to many alternatives in the $2000 range; we hope to be close to $1000

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nice. Its good to see a pic of one of these with dirt on the tires. I'm not so patiently waiting for my FB4 Elite to ship, so seeing fresh pics is nice. the more I look a this bike, the more I like it. There's just something about the geometry on this thing that seems right, even over the Boris line - something to be said for clean lines. The preview of the Night train and Sturgis had me second guessing for a minute, but I'm not going to ever put a fork on a fat bike - the one thing I really liked about my Origin8 crawler was the rigid fork - it's really nice to stand on the pedals on a fully rigid bike. Besides, I have a Yeti for full speed squishiness anyway. Enjoy, I'm jealous.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anyone take their FB4 into 2x10 land?
I'm really wanting to go Shadow+ and thinking 2x10 with 22/36 up front would give me the range I desire for trail.
Man, the more I screw with this FB4 Elite, the more it looks like a Boris.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm really wanting to go Shadow+ and thinking 2x10 with 22/36 up front would give me the range I desire for trail.
are you series? IMO they are 2 totally looking bikes in frame design

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice. Its good to see a pic of one of these with dirt on the tires. I'm not so patiently waiting for my FB4 Elite to ship, so seeing fresh pics is nice. the more I look a this bike, the more I like it. There's just something about the geometry on this thing that seems right, even over the Boris line - something to be said for clean lines. The preview of the Night train and Sturgis had me second guessing for a minute, but I'm not going to ever put a fork on a fat bike - the one thing I really liked about my Origin8 crawler was the rigid fork - it's really nice to stand on the pedals on a fully rigid bike. Besides, I have a Yeti for full speed squishiness anyway. Enjoy, I'm jealous.
Just like you I was second guessing about getting this. But after riding it yesterday for 12 miles and 23 miles today, I am very happy with my purchase. I was expecting the bike to be heavy on the pedal, but I wil say I am very amazed how well she rides. It's almost like riding a 29er full suspension with a not so good fork and ok shocks. I rarely stand on this bike not like my ht 29er. I am almost as fast on my first outing yesterday. So far so good! I will be replacing the rear derailleur with a Shimano slx I have laying around. I ordered a dropper post and q-tubes as I like carrying spare in my Camelbak. Other than that I will wait for parts to wear out then upgrade. I am still trying out the stem, I hope I will end up liking it this 2 weeks if not I might have to go 60mm.

If you look at the canopy at the back, that's Salsa doing a demo at the beginning of the trail. They kinda wished I wasn't there.

·
Hooligan
994 Posts
any idea what 3" tires are on the cheaper bullesye? i'm not familiar with any light(ish) knobbies that come in that size and they are super vague in the description.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have converted my FB4 to 2x10. I just removed the large chainring and put on a BBG bashgaurd, and removed a few links from the chain. Oh, and I adjusted the front derailleur limit. Works great, even with the stock Alivio rear derailleur.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What are these bikes weighing in at? Anybody strip one down and weigh the frame? Or individual part weights?

My Boris weighs 32 lbs 13oz. 15" Frameset. Tires changed to Larry Front, Floater Rear, Schalbe AV13F Tubes, Carbon Bars, Adjustable Riser Stem, 400mm Aluminum Seat Post, Grips, Lightweight Pedals.

Lost weight on tubes, seatpost, bars, grips,

Gained weight on tires, stem, and pedals.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Maybe this season. They have teased parts of a fully on their FB page. But I think it's actually going to be a 650b trail/all-mountain bike to cash in on the other big trend of last year.

I won't be surprised to see one for the 2016 riding season (arriving later 2015). They seem very interested in expanding their reach based on their early success and sales.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that the Bluto sus fork will work fine with the FB4 (Elite)?

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2014 Fantom FB4 Elite states the fork specs as "26" RIGID FORK, ALLOY STEM, 1-1/8" THREADLESS, ALLOY BLADE 34.9mmx2.0 T TAPER 28mmx200L, W/O PIVOT, W/DISC MOUNT ONLY"

Of course I'll need a 150mm front hub, but it looks like Or8 has one through J&B that's about $80 and looks to be the 150mm version of the same sealed cartridge 135mm front hub that came stock on my FB4.

Thoughts?

1801 - 1820 of 3847 Posts