·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took the plunge and pre-ordered one ... after chatting with Motion Ride directly they gave me some very good insights about this upcoming shock ... it's been created from the ground up and is meant to tackle what actual aggressive trail/enduro bikes can do without being limited by "not-so-adequate" suspensions ... very excited to get it!

That sounds like more speed and more fun to me ;) LOL!

The first batch will be delivered by the end of July.

Motion Ride have developed an entirely new technology with a unique design and have created a technology that separates oil movement and energy dissipation, allowing the integration of new features that are unique in the world, including hydraulic buffers in compression and rebound. This means that no matter what the pilot does, the rear shock will never bottom out.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got one cheaper (early bird deal)!

I think the shipping is free (worldwide). As the for the import tax (if any) just ask them to declare a low value so you don’t get murdered by customs!

I guess the price reflects the R&D and you can see that in the end products ... they’re not like others on the market. So much easier to do a copy/paste/sell and call it a day ... it doesn’t seem to be the philosophy driving their business!

I’d say a bit like Push, they want to make the best and most innovative suspensions to match today’s needs ... and it’s a tiny market so they can’t sell millions. While I would be very happy to pay less, I’m also happy to support companies who think outside the box and try to make us finished, custom tuned products to show the world that it’s possible to do a better job than what we’ve been given until now.

If it’s ****, average or not overall great I’ll be the first to shoot them down. And if not I’ll be happy to compare it to others products to pinpoint the real life differences ... so everyone can then make their own decision about whether or not they want it.

All in all I find that pretty positive and inspiring that small companies put their necks on the line for us and our passion!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do any real shocks exist or just 3D renderings?
Yeah they have finalized and working prototypes but they don't want to make them public just yet because their patent application is still in progress!

One of their guy told me they are really itching to show them and give a lot more info, graphs, internals, etc ... but just can't right now. Spy shots and all that ...

Can't wait to get more tech details either to be honest!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess well versed suspension Gurus like you can easily read between the lines and already know if it's pure gimmick or if there is something interesting going on behind this technology!

"High Frequency Filtering Piston" for example ... anyone seen that before or know about it?!

While it isn't something you can see from the outside, the thing that really separates the Motion Flow Evo apart from other shocks is its core "High Frequency Filtering Piston" body that Motion designed to function without initial internal pressure. This "Atmospheric technology" promises unmatched sensitivity since friction-inducing high-pressure seals are not required.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
I guess well versed suspension Gurus like you can easily read between the lines and already know if it's pure gimmick or if there is something interesting going on behind this technology!

"High Frequency Filtering Piston" for example ... anyone seen that before or know about it?!
Every suspension system is a high frequency filter. Some just don't do it the way you want.
The high frequency response is limited by your unsprung mass, spring rates, friction and damping. In that order.
From the outside there's nothing that is going to help those.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every suspension system is a high frequency filter. Some just don't do it the way you want.
The high frequency response is limited by your unsprung mass, spring rates, friction and damping. In that order.
Thanks for the heads up!

When you say "From the outside there's nothing that is going to help those" you mean until they really explain what they've done you don't see how they have improved that part of the suspension?!

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

When you say "From the outside there's nothing that is going to help those" you mean until they really explain what they've done you don't see how they have improved that part of the suspension?!
Yep.

They can change friction and damping internally. But they're only dealing with the results of mass and springs and can't change the fundamental behaviour.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep.

They can change friction and damping internally. But they're only dealing with the results of mass and springs and can't change the fundamental behaviour.
See! That is super interesting to know. Thanks for pointing that out

I'll ask them to join the thread so they can answer those questions. And we can all learn something in the process...

·
Registered
150 Posts
TBH I'm not really sold on the shock. The E18 is absolutely amazing, literally a game changer in front suspension, but modern coil shocks are already REALLY good and I don't see this one as being a significant step forward. It may be good, but not so much better than anything else already on the market that I want to throw out my existing shocks.

990 euros plus tax plus shipping - they are taking the piss just like their linkage fork.
Interesting. How many riding days do you have on an E18? Just asking because you seem to have developed a pretty strong, informed opinion of it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
TBH I'm not really sold on the shock. The E18 is absolutely amazing, literally a game changer in front suspension, but modern coil shocks are already REALLY good and I don't see this one as being a significant step forward. It may be good, but not so much better than anything else already on the market
We might be surprised, That's the whole point of testing and comparing ... ;)

As for the price of their forks being expensive ... what about the «*Message fork from Trust Performance*» $2700 vs $1500 for the E18 ... and they were the first ones to introduce linkage forks to the market. It's all very relative ... people are not too worried about spending $2000 for a pair of carbon wheels but they are when it comes to suspensions ... even if it makes 100x more difference! Don't know, it kind of makes me laugh a little :)

Well, back to the main subject ... because they use different technologies I "hope" it will improve what we already know.

We surely have a lot more ways to improve, performance, grip, comfort and all that with upcoming materials and manufacturing technics ... so let's welcome that to our sport as it should ... with an open mind :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
We might be surprised, That's the whole point of testing and comparing ... ;)

As for the price of their fork being expensive ... what about the «*Message fork from Trust Performance*» $2700 vs $1500 for the E18 ... and they were the first ones to introduce linkage forks to the market. It's all very relative ... people are not too worried about spending $2000 for a pair of carbon wheels but they are when it comes to suspensions ... even if it makes 100x more difference! Don't know, it kind of makes me laugh a little :)

Well, back to the main subject ... because they use different technologies I "hope" it will improve what we already know.

We surely have a lot more ways to improve, performance, grip, comfort and all that with upcoming materials and manufacturing technics ... so let's welcome that to our sport as it should ... with an open mind :)
Don't forget folks who buy $9XX Fox 36's then get coil conversion and/or PUSH tunes/Vorsprung tunes, they are every bit as much as a $1500 E18 linkage fork.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
what about the «*Message fork from Trust Performance*» $2700 vs $1500 for the E18 ... and they were the first ones to introduce linkage forks to the market.
They missed having the first linkage fork to market by almost 30 years. There have been many, just none that have suceeded financially.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A bit more info!

They say they relied on a few technologies used/made for their E18 forks ... and I believe the "motion damper" has helped them develop their shock so here's a bit more tech details about that damper.

YouTube video with subtitles

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just managed to get 3 more bit of info from them :)

1) - The first photos and videos of the shock in action will be released next month
2) - Every suspension is a high frequency system!

YES BUT!

Their response to that is:

True, but while doing so, traditional suspension systems get hotter and loose travel (fading), our system is completely disconnected / independent from our hydraulic while filtering the high frequencies. So no side effects
3) - The MOTION FLOW with its atmospheric technology is 7.5 times more sensitive than the best shocks on the market right know. As a result it requires less breakaway force to start moving and it is more sensitive over small bumps and imperfections.

That's all I've got for the moment but if/when I find out more or they tell me more ;) I'll make sure to post it here!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts