Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Rockshox Recon 327 air-solo 100mm which doesn't have Motion control. I've been thinking about upgrading the fork with a motion control assembly. It'll probably run a little over a 100 bucks for the upgrade I think. So, my question is, is it really worth it? I've read that you can really dial in small bump plushness without loosing on the fast big hit end. Is this true? I can't seem to find that sweet spot with my current setup.

My current settings are (I'm 175 pounds):
Air: 90 PSI
Rebound: 3 turns (from full fast)

Thanks in advance. --Mark

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
It seems that for me fast rebound makes for the most plush ride so you're good there. I believe you can get the Motion Contol assembly and install it. It should be pretty easy. I would say it's worth it. IT will change the fork for the better and it is most likely cheaper than getting a new fork. IF you really like the Recon I would just install the damper system instead of getting a new fork. You have to weigh whether it is worthy of the upgrade or if you would rather pay more and get a new fork with a pedaling platform.

David

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am not too sure a Motion Control upgrade will help with small bump plushness. On my Reba I don't notice much difference until it is locked out. I think the Motion Control will help more on the big hits and help control brake dive. From what I have read the solo air Recon/Tora's are not the most plush on the small bumps. So if your looking for plushness, I do not think the Motion Control upgrade will help much. But then again I am just speculating, you really need to hear from someone who has actually done the upgrade.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GTV8 said:
I am not too sure a Motion Control upgrade will help with small bump plushness. On my Reba I don't notice much difference until it is locked out. I think the Motion Control will help more on the big hits and help control brake dive. From what I have read the solo air Recon/Tora's are not the most plush on the small bumps. So if your looking for plushness, I do not think the Motion Control upgrade will help much. But then again I am just speculating, you really need to hear from someone who has actually done the upgrade.
ah, I went back and read up on motion control. I must have misread it the first time around. I understand it better now. So yeah I agree, I don't think it'll help with what I'm looking for. I think I should mess around with my rebound settings a bit more.

That said I still might do the upgrade during the next service interval. Lockout would be nice to have for those long climbs. The only thing that sucks is Motion Control for the Recon (from what I've read) doesn't have an adjustable floodgate. That'll be the deciding factor. --Mark

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
The reason I said yes to the MC was that with it you could lower your main spring air pressure a little and then control the platform and small bump compliance with the MC. I believe you may be able to get the MC kit that they use for Rebas that has the adjustable Floodgate. You would have to fiddle around with the air pressure and MC amounts to get what you wanted. Faster rebound will help you in the small bumps like I said before. Also a lighter weight oil will speed up compression and rebound which will make for a more plush fork but if it is too thin you wont get proper rebound control.

I'll look around online and see what kind of MC dampers you can get.

David

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
How much travel does your Recon have? IF it has 130 you wouldn't be able to use a reba Motion control. USing a Reba MC might not work as the internals might be different on the two forks.

David

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
I found a MC damper online for 50 bucks but it didn't say if it had the floodgate with it. Also it said it was for the 06+ models so Id on't know if it will fit on below 2006. I would say call SRam and see what they say about using a Reba MC or getting one for the Recon

David

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
D-Avid said:
The reason I said yes to the MC was that with it you could lower your main spring air pressure a little and then control the platform and small bump compliance with the MC. I believe you may be able to get the MC kit that they use for Rebas that has the adjustable Floodgate. You would have to fiddle around with the air pressure and MC amounts to get what you wanted. Faster rebound will help you in the small bumps like I said before. Also a lighter weight oil will speed up compression and rebound which will make for a more plush fork but if it is too thin you wont get proper rebound control.

I'll look around online and see what kind of MC dampers you can get.

David
Now that's what I was thinking the when I first posted. I definitely want to make the upgrade now. I mean it's not gonna hurt anything other than a little weight and my wallet. The reba kit I guessing is also probably lighter than the recon kit right? --Mark

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
D-Avid said:
I found a MC damper online for 50 bucks but it didn't say if it had the floodgate with it. Also it said it was for the 06+ models so Id on't know if it will fit on below 2006. I would say call SRam and see what they say about using a Reba MC or getting one for the Recon

David
Thanks David, my recon is a 06 100mm air-solo.

hmm, I can't actually find a number SRAM's service department. I'll have a friend who's a bike mech. @ REI call them for me. --Mark

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
D-Avid said:
How much travel does your Recon have? IF it has 130 you wouldn't be able to use a reba Motion control. USing a Reba MC might not work as the internals might be different on the two forks.

David
As you suggest it is better to check with Sram, but i don't think that travel has to do with the MC damper, both the Pike and Reba use the same one...

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
It would seem to work since they're both 32mm stanchions. I would definitely make sure they will work by contacting Sram before you purchase on though. I would be really interested to see how it works out for you; would you let me know? I'll check around to see what I can find concerning Reba MC. you can even get Pop loc remotes that adjust lockout and compression on the fly by remote on the handlebar. You probably already knew that but I think they're cool anyway.

David

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D-Avid said:
It would seem to work since they're both 32mm stanchions. I would definitely make sure they will work by contacting Sram before you purchase on though. I would be really interested to see how it works out for you; would you let me know? I'll check around to see what I can find concerning Reba MC. you can even get Pop loc remotes that adjust lockout and compression on the fly by remote on the handlebar. You probably already knew that but I think they're cool anyway.

David
I will definitely call SRAM before I purchase anything. I actually can't find a MC assemble on the net that doesn't have poploc for either the reba or recon. If the reba MC will work I'd prefer that for the adjustable flood gate. I just want the normal non-poploc MC, keep it simple. Also, I'm guessing that I'd have to purchase the top cap too? --Mark

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
marks_bike said:
I will definitely call SRAM before I purchase anything. I actually can't find a MC assemble on the net that doesn't have poploc for either the reba or recon. If the reba MC will work I'd prefer that for the adjustable flood gate. I just want the normal non-poploc MC, keep it simple. Also, I'm guessing that I'd have to purchase the top cap too? --Mark
Contact one of the board dealers (Larry @ Mtn high Cyclery, Chad @ Red Barn, Biker Bob, Will @ Full Cycles) they will be able to order the parts for you at a good price and check on the compatibility with sram too...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I finally got a motion control unit for my RS Recon 327. I ended up getting a MC unit for the Reba/Revlation/Pike because it had a adjustable floodgate (non-remote). I had my LBS call SRAM to make sure the MC unit would fit in the Recon before I purchased it though. It installed perfectly with one catch. I didn't give much thought about frame clearance, so I got the version that has the external floodgate adjustment. Of course it doesn't clear my down tube. If I got the internal floodgate version it would have cleared the down tube perfectly. Kind of a bummer. --Mark

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
marks_bike said:
Well, I finally got a motion control unit for my RS Recon 327. I ended up getting a MC unit for the Reba/Revlation/Pike because it had a adjustable floodgate (non-remote). I had my LBS call SRAM to make sure the MC unit would fit in the Recon before I purchased it though. It installed perfectly with one catch. I didn't give much thought about frame clearance, so I got the version that has the external floodgate adjustment. Of course it doesn't clear my down tube. If I got the internal floodgate version it would have cleared the down tube perfectly. Kind of a bummer. --Mark
bummer un the clearance, what headset are you running?? .. I have no clearance problems with my Rev on my 19" Zion with Cane Creen S2 headset

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm, that's an idea. I didn't find on the site that you could get just the bottom cup though. The price of the new headset would be about same as just getting a new MC with the internal gate.

So I guess the geometry is different with the Zion 853 and 660 or the Rev has a different crown shape than the Recon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.