Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MotherNature truly is a whore! This last weekend we were to have a good sized gathering of folks to ride/party/camp/fun well we started last week with temps in the 70's and 80's then out of the 16 or so folks that said "Yeah I'm Coming" turned out only 4 showed up Thrursday then another showed up Friday night.

Left the house Thursday morning (Fuggin' Rain) drove in (Fuggin' Rain) got to Pisgah (Fuggin' Rain) set up camp (Fuggin' Rain) Big ass thunderstorm with lighting all around.

About 4pm the rain let up . . . So Mike and Jason and I decided to cross the road and get some trails in . . .Climbed Thrift Cove and then did Black Mountain lower downhill. Which was in awesome shape considering all of the (Fuggin' Rain) we were covered in mud but bigass smiles on our faces!

That night More (Fuggin' Rain) heavy Thunderboomers again ALL damn night long… thank God for Beer and Ambian!

Friday, totally overcast, light mist in the air with temps mid 60s, Load vehicles to shuttle to the hatchery . . .we're torn as to which route. . . do we leave a vehicle at the hatchery and drive up to do Caney Bottom or ride up .....well the hangovers answer'd, and we shuttled. So we do Caney Bottom/Cove Creek which was in great shape . . . Props to the Trail maintenance done there . . . The Trail used to be in horrible shape and a lot of work has gone into in to bring it back to the shape it was several years ago...

Then from Cove Creek we went up to do LongBranch . . .yeah the (Fuggin' Rain) came back as we climbed and the temps dropped again. . .LongBranch was a complete mess, still fun but what a muddy mess. . . could rail into the turns due to the several inches of mud. Was still fun. We get to the hatchery only to discover ZT left the keys to his Trooper in my car at the top . . . so we ended up climbin' for the next hour to the car, its all good. Fate . . should've climbed it the first time!

Friday night Rain and wind More Beer, More Ambian induced sleep!

Saturday woke up to find our campsite flooded w/inches of water everywhere . . .but blue sky was all around, temps in the mid 50s. so the plan is to do ClawHammer up to down Buckhorn Gap to down SouthMills River then across PinkBeds to up Club Gap then Avery Creek back down. Well once we got up to the junction with Black Mountain it was snowing and the temps were 15 degrees colder and the wind was kickin at around 20 mph. so we proceed down the back side of the mountain. Every minute the temp dropped, and the snow, and sleet pellets got more intense. We pressed on, and the weather was getting worse. It was Colder and the wind was gusting now to ~40mph. it was insane once we got past Pink Beds we had to scrap the rest of the climbin' due to the headwinds, sleet/snow suckfest. Get back down to the Horsestables and it was 50 degrees and partly sunny . . . wind was still kickin'.

Get back to camp only to find that the wind had B!tchslapped our campsite . . tents blown over and away , Tarps ripped to shreads, Then that night was WILD the gusts through the trees and down the mountain was like a damn freighttrain rolling through! Trees and limbs coming were down everywhere. My big ass tent several times was pressed down to my head during the night . . . felt like Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz.

Sunday was all sun, and I had to split early due to a Death in the Family, but wouldn't you know it . . . there wasn't a cloud in the sky w/ temps in the 70s and I had to leave . What a B!tch. Thanks MotherNature you're on my Sh!tlist!

Attachments

· Registered
724 Posts
I've learned from going to pisgah. If weather dot com says there is only a 10 percent chance of rain, it's going to rain. ON the other hand , the trails DO drain a million times better than ours in Indiana. The rain rides i've had there haven't been too awful. I did one at Dupont once in a literal down poor, but the slickrock down was still big fun. :D

· Probably drunk right now
6,758 Posts
Half Empty, huh?

Some of my most epic and memorable rides have been when Mother Nature throws me a curve. Road during a tornado warning/watch with horizontal rain and flash flooding. I rode during a cold February mist without proper clothing and the trail undulated in and out of the frost line.

To each their own, I guess. My weekend sucked too. I didn't ride at all, despite the fact that it was sunny, in the 70's and the trails were in great shape.

5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even More

Yes More-------------------------------------------

Attachments

5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Madness Continues

Attachments

· Registered
189 Posts
Keep the pics coming!

Good stuff man.

I feel your pain. After this crappy winter in the NE we finally get some warmer weather. That 15 foot pile of snow at the end of my driveway is now basically nothing. Yet we're getting KILLED with rain. Just can't luck out...

· It's not what you think.
476 Posts
That sounds like dejavoo to our trip last year. Got to Davidson in the sun and by the time we had camp set up it rained for the next 5 days and sunny again as we were leaving. Yes, it's a rain forest but I prefer my rain warm; moved this years camp trip out a few months. I hear it's most excellent in May.

· Registered
40 Posts
i still loved the trip

brado1 said:
:) here are some more
brad, even though the weather was terrible, i still loved the trip. i hung around after you and mike left and took a nap. then about four i went and rode black mountain. it was great. met some great guy that where at the bottim of the trail and hung out and drank some beer. got up at 4 in the morning and went home. :( .

jason

· Currently in Exile
2,305 Posts
Rain sucks under 50 degress

But the trails looked good, and everyone is smiling. What's up with the 2 fingered salutes?

· Registered
215 Posts
Ken in KC said:
Some of my most epic and memorable rides have been when Mother Nature throws me a curve. Road during a tornado warning/watch with horizontal rain and flash flooding. I rode during a cold February mist without proper clothing and the trail undulated in and out of the frost line.

To each their own, I guess. My weekend sucked too. I didn't ride at all, despite the fact that it was sunny, in the 70's and the trails were in great shape.
So I was sitting here reading this thread and pi$$ing and moaning because it was cold and raining outside when I got home from work and had decided that I "couldn't" ride today. After this post, I got off my a$$, put on my cycling duds and had a great ride! Thanks for reminding me that some of the best rides I've done have been when everyone else is sitting on the couch, watching it rain and stuffing their face with Cheetos.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.